145/65-15

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwkerr007

Supporting Member
Reaction score
20181207_105326.jpg 145/65-r15

i put a yoka high perf radial on my 97 it saved me from having to buy shorter shocks and do the venture wheel swap it dropped me 3" and now i'm flat footed on the ground it made the max launch from a standing start much better and a plus i wasn't expecting is it stopped trying to blow me off the bike at 65. I was just putting this out here for the budget minded maxers like myself it's a cheap way to get a little better 0-60 and if your having to tip toe at stop lights this mod is for you has anyone done this before please let me know if so were there any probs none for me so far

Last edited:
Re: 145/65-r15

Only problems i could think of are load ratings and speed ratings.

There is a good chance that tire is designed for putting around on a scooter. If that's the case, what will happen? Probably nothing.

Its been discussed here before. I dont remember if anyone pulled the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds like he went 'Darth Vader' when he purchased his tire (The Dark Side). Plenty of discussions across the internet why this is a good idea (people are cheap) and why not to do it (it isn't safe). If you own a sidecar or a three-wheeler of whatever configuration, then maybe, maybe it's 'for you.' People complain enough about the VMax's handling, why do something to reduce its roadholding ability even more?

Based on his thriftiness comment, I suspect this is probably the tire he has: https://simpletire.com/yokohama-145-65r15-32186-tires Lists at $75/free shipping.

I rank this use of a car tire on a two-wheeled motorcycle right up-there with a decision to install those smoked headlight covers over your headlights, and then to struggle to see adequately at night.

Add any power while heeled-over or hit a stretch of slick pavement such-as you would likely encounter at an intersection from spilled fluids like oil, diesel fuel, coolant, or somebody's discarded Mcdonald's Happy Meal, add-in water because it just rained, and that tire will throw you down quicker than a crackhead can snatch a $20 bill off the pavement.

Attachments

• car tire on mcy.jpeg
    car tire on mcy.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 30
Wasn't aware of it being an automotive tire. Thought it might have been one of those scooter tires. Plenty of arguments for, and against it. Nothing I feel the need to get into since I've only experienced motorcycle tires.

If I were going to try and put a 15" radial on the rear I'd probably go for a 160/60/15 scooter tire.

20181207_105305.jpg well i thought about all of these problems i could have and i looked at the problem i do have and weighed the difference with me tip toeing on the bike and carrying my insane 4ft pass i was more likely to drop the thing with the original tire iv'e had it on there for a week it dropped the bike in the rear so i comp for the front by sliding the tubes up the trees so as to balance the diff it is an h rated tire and i have run it 100+ no weebles or wobles as far as cornering i didn't buy a vmax to be a crotch rocket i bought it to run not drive i grew up on an h2 kaw and in comparison the vmax could be on a flat and handle better i have put it through its paces and have found no diff in it other than 0-60 is faster it rides wheelies better and it didn't cost me a thousand for a wheel and a drag tire has the same outer shape as for as being cheap if that's the worst thing i get called today i'm doing good this thread was meant for a person who is not at ease on the stock height and doesn't have a thousand to throw around cause the guys that ride one of these bikes and saved for a long time to get one love them more than the the ones that ride them as a novelty so i hope this helped someone with this problem as far as everybody that has that money to buy a wheel you should get a gen 2 and leave us cheap people in your smoke

Last edited:
20181207_105358.jpg hi mr cheap here as far as hitting a patch of fuel ive done this with motorcycle tires and the result is the same you are going down but if you woke up this morning thinking you wont you surely will i have owned and rode most evey kind of bike there is including hard tail harleys with vw tires on them i didn't write this to be in a who's who of things people have done i just hoped i could help someone with an altern to the rear wheel conv if i had the funds i would do it that way but i feel comfortable on it now and that is much safer than without it if i find an issue with running this tire in the future i will post it and eat crow till i do and until u ride mine i think we will both be happier talking about something we have exp first hand have a great ride today and now on

Last edited:
20181207_105415.jpg as far the guys that were undecided on this come on over and you can ride mine and decide for yourself that is the tire not the insane 4ft passenger i hope everybody has as much fun on there's today as i do mine

Last edited:
thanks for your reply i wasnt aware they had scooter tires to fit as i have worked on a few but they were all small ones i never thought of a scooter tire i'll look into that but my original plan was to get my feet planted flat at a stop and to get a radial thank you for your helpful idea i'll try the scooter tire on my chopper but so far the car tire on the max is working great i will have to admit that it took more air pressure than normal to get the last part of the bead to pop on but other than that ive had no issues thanx again for the info on the scooter tire

20181207_105425.jpg
I can't knock it unless I try it. I think the tire could handle the weight of a Vmax. The contact area in the twisties is a concern for me. Shifting the balance to the rear wouldn't do anything good for handling IMO. I think the front end will feel very light. I'd lower the forks as much as I could get away with. It may be fine, but I'm not selling my Kosman wheels just yet.

thanx for the reply i di lower the forks and i haven't ran into any issues but i was concerned about what you mentioned about the weight shift and the tire not being as round as the bike tire but the small width of the rim made it more rounded when inflated and i started out being careful because i had the same thought as you but as i rode it more i kind of forgot it was on there and would catch myself leaning in corners well as much as you can on these monsters and i have 700 miles on it and i can't really feel any diff other than i'm getting both feet flat on the ground but i will post it if i do and thanx again for the reply time is money

Last edited:
Neither #58627 nor darkside tires opened on my computer. Cut & paste?

I think this is the thread you're trying to quote: http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/118218-darkside-tires-print.html

Lots of debate on this. I don't think you're gonna find much support here for The Darkside. One picture is worth a thousand words, yes? Using a product designed for a particular use which, when used another way, may fit, but definitely isn't safe, is not anything that's going to promote your longevity! I can think of two perfect examples.

One: try taking your car tire to the Yamaha dealership and demanding they throw that cheaper car tire onto your bike. They will tell you, "no." Maybe, "hell, no!" If the manufacturer won't do it, what does that tell you?

Two: the insurance adjuster takes a look at your motorcycle to do a post-mortem forensic exam of the motorcycle after you die in an accident. They find your "Darkside" tire, plenty of tread. Your survivor/ beneficiary's claim is denied. Reason? "Unsafe equipment, not-rated for motorcycle use." Gruesome, but a very real possibility.

Sure, you can swallow razor blades, juggle running chainsaws, and do the "Tide laundry detergent challenge." I'll be over here, holding your beer, and watching.

Attachments

• darkside tire debate.01.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
The links aren't working for me. I'm sure its more of the same old BS anyways. Arguments for, and against.

I've seen video of guys riding around with car tires mounted. Seems to work just fine. If that is what someone wants to do, that is their prerogative.

How's your max looks with the tire mounted up? Let see some photos.

Neither #58627 nor darkside tires opened on my computer. Cut & paste?

I think this is the thread you're trying to quote: http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/118218-darkside-tires-print.html

Lots of debate on this. I don't think you're gonna find much support here for The Darkside. One picture is worth a thousand words, yes? Using a product designed for a particular use which, when used another way, may fit, but definitely isn't safe, is not anything that's going to promote your longevity! I can think of two perfect examples.

One: try taking your car tire to the Yamaha dealership and demanding they throw that cheaper car tire onto your bike. They will tell you, "no." Maybe, "hell, no!" If the manufacturer won't do it, what does that tell you?

Two: the insurance adjuster takes a look at your motorcycle to do a post-mortem forensic exam of the motorcycle after you die in an accident. They find your "Darkside" tire, plenty of tread. Your survivor/ beneficiary's claim is denied. Reason? "Unsafe equipment, not-rated for motorcycle use." Gruesome, but a very real possibility.

Sure, you can swallow razor blades, juggle running chainsaws, and do the "Tide laundry detergent challenge." I'll be over here, holding your beer, and watching.

your all the way right if i dealt with a dealer ship thats what they would say and if i drank beer you could hold it and if you paid att you would know that i couldn't be very young if my first bike was an h2 kaw i think i'll take the high road out of this as in if i ain't got nothing helpful to say i just as well keep my mouth shut never put another post out that might upset the senior citizens i was not aware that the forums were just to get ideas from not to give them out sorry i bothered the citizen's with my stupidity and lack of social and financial skills i'll try to be more respectful to my elders and speak when i'm spoken to from now on and just comment on how right everyone else is thank you for educating me on this subject cause in all my 52 years this is my first forum and i'll know not to speak out unless it's to be supportive of other unhelpful comments i think that's about all i gained from our conversation so thanks for setting me straight if there is anything else i can do to help please ask someone else cause i won't be doing it anymore

p.s. i didn't stay at a holiday inn last night and if anyone might see me on the side of a truck stop road covered in fuel with a chainsaw sticking out of my head and a happy meal bag stuck in my wheel just keep going cause thats what i do for a living and sooner or later some super hero will come by in an ambulance and tell me to get some insurance that covers stupidity but don't worry i don't have full coverage cause i'm to cheap to pay for it and you would think with all the money i make driving around truck stops and smoking crack i could afford it

I thought about dark siding the Roadstar. For about one second.. I just bought a set of Kenda Cataclysms for it yesterday. Lots of Roadie Riders use the Austone Taxi Tire, and are pleased with the results... Not me..

Dark siding a Vmax would, in my opinion, only be feasible if you were using it exclusively as a drag bike.

Cwkerr, you need to use the punctuation keys a bit more.

At least the scooter tire has the right profile for a two-wheeled vehicle. Using a car tire with a squared off profile is just not a safe move, unless you have a trike, and then you're using it on the axle that has a single Tire. Doing a Google search of the dark side and looking at all those pictures of bikes on the edge of the car tire just gives me the willies. The scooter tire with an H rating if you don't exceed 130 miles an hour seems like it would be safe and how many people run their V Max's over a hundred and thirty anyway? That last question may provoke some interesting comments.

Be sure to run a same brand radial with the same design on the front if you're running a radial in the rear. Running a different design of radial compared to what you have on the other end can cause you significant handling issues, or running a bias-ply on one end and a radio on the other. There have been some rare instances of mix matching of radials and bias-ply from the factory a recent Harley-Davidson comes to mind, but that's something the engineers decide and not something that your typical rider is capable of making an informed decision on.

I thought about dark siding the Roadstar. For about one second.. I just bought a set of Kenda Cataclysms for it yesterday. Lots of Roadie Riders use the Austone Taxi Tire, and are pleased with the results... Not me..

Dark siding a Vmax would, in my opinion, only be feasible if you were using it exclusively as a drag bike.

Cwkerr, you need to use the punctuation keys a bit more.

you are absolutely right i am a poor excuse for a punctuator i only paid att in math class the nerd girls did it for me i blame them but back to the subject i really did the tire thing to to get my feet planted i had a new stock tire on it and i was very un at ease with it and i have 2 other bikes so really all i do ride it for is to drag it or wheelstand it so the car tire was an easy choice for me and with the stock rim being so narrow it did round the tire more than what it would be on the car rim i still havent had any problems with it but i'm not much of a cornering myself but it works for me it may not be for others i was just putting it out for others as an option no harm ment just wanting to help . So what was the taxi tire thing you mentioned you got me curious

Latest posts

Back