Max starts when key is turned

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

912er

Reaction score
I dug back in the archives and found a post about this. The remedy was to replace the starter relay. I did that and all was well for a few long rides. Tonight I went to "Bike night" at a local tav and when I pulled in my oil light went on as soon as I stopped to back in. This is what happens when the starter engages and won't disengage. Oil and Fuel lights come on. Then you turn the key and it starts without touching the start button. I stopped the bike, and then turned the key and it started, I repeated this and it went back to normal... Usually I have to ride for a few blocks and it returns to normal...

85 max bought new and never had the issue until last year. Checked the wiring, the starter switch and all is well.

So, do I replace the starter motor and starter clutch? Or what?

The other thing I have noticed is that my oil light will sometimes fade in and out after HARD blasts. Freaks me out but I know that the oil all perfect., and this stops after a couple miles of even throttle.

Is your headlight on when this happens? Sometimes after someone starts the bike, and they will complain about the headlight not being on, and its the starter switch sticking a bit. The ACTUAL remedy is to take the switch apart and clean the contacts, but you can get by with just pulling the switch out a bit if its sticking.

Nope, headlight stays on and the starter switch is clean and not sticking.

I guess I should add that the bike starts instantly with no issues when the starter is not stuck and behaves perfectly cept for the weird oil light fading in and out after hard runs.

The oil light, is an oil level light, which is at the front of the pan, so when you get on it, the oil goes to the back of the pan (to where the pick up is), and away from the oil level sensor in the front.

IMHO it is unlikely that the starter switch will intermittently make a connection and energise the starter therefore suspect that you have an intermittent short somewhere between the starter relay and starter switch.

In pre '89 bike the battery feeds both the starter motor and energising circuit so a short anywhere between the relay and switch could cause the starter to turn.
I would start with am inspection of the loom to see if there are any obvious signs of chafing.

"If the oil light isn't 'winking' at-you then you're not ridin' it hard-enough" is a sentiment that could serve as a motto for the MI Hooligans. Keep the oil level where it should be and stop worrying, and love the ride.

Thanks for all the input! However I must clarify that I'm quite familiar with the oil light "winking" at me under acceleration. That is not the issue. After a hard run thru a few gears when returning to normal cruising speeds my oil light will fade in to full brightness and then dim several times. If I roll the throttle on a bit it will fad and go out. This does not happen all the time but fairly often.

I will start checking the wiring, does the "loom" run under one of he scoops?

Is something under the seat touching your starter solenoid? I don't have any ideas about the dash lights.

You know, that's a great thought! I put a Max Gasser on last year and I think that was before the starter issue first showed up. In fact when I was putting my newly painted body parts on I noticed that the metal tongue at the front of the seat only has one rivet holding it, there is a hole for another one but no hole in the seat pan. This allows the tongue to move.

Thanks, I'll look into this!

OK, it's not the seat, just went ridin and the started engaged twice. It lets loose (disengages) on it's own whenever it decides to... Guess I have to start chasing wires...

Just got a message from Dannymax stating;

there is a 3-prong connector red, brown and blue wires (I think).

It is famous for shorting inside the plastic connector and creating this exact same symptom....I dealt with it on an '85 XJ700X Maxim....you could not see any problem with the connector itself but there was a dead short inside causing the bike to start when the key was turned on.

If you haven't looked at that yet do a little research and give it a check, may be your issue.

Does anyone know where this connector is located??

Just got a message from Dannymax stating;

there is a 3-prong connector red, brown and blue wires (I think).

It is famous for shorting inside the plastic connector and creating this exact same symptom....I dealt with it on an '85 XJ700X Maxim....you could not see any problem with the connector itself but there was a dead short inside causing the bike to start when the key was turned on.

If you haven't looked at that yet do a little research and give it a check, may be your issue.

Does anyone know where this connector is located??

You need to take the right scoop off (as you are sitting on the bike) and and then three philips head screws out of the panel behind the thermostat housing-pull off the plastic surround that goes around the ignition where the key goes and follow it to the 3 prong connector-you will find a brown ,red and blue wire in that plug. The red and brown will probably be fused together somewhere along that line.

Perhaps I'm being more thick than normal but why would a short in the ignition switch cause the starter relay to energise?...on a V Max that is.

I would have thought it would manifest as not being able to turn the ignition off?

I pulled it apart, found the connector just as described. It looked good so I pulled it apart and checked for continuity between red and brown while moving the cable all around. There was no short or interference. So cleaned up the contacts with contact cleaner real good and worked the connection a few times. I guess maybe the starter motor is next?

Start the bike, then disconnect the wires going to the starter button. Ride the bike, see if the starter turns on with the button disconnected. If not, try cleaning or lubing the button. Sometimes they can stick. The button may be just releasing enough to disengage the relay, but vibration may cause a momentary contact. There must be a return spring in the button somewhere... Maybe the spring is weak.

These are just random thoughts, maybe they will help you figure it out.

I guess maybe the starter motor is next?

The starter won't spin spontaneously on its own, it will need power which it will get if the relay is energised.
You need to establish what is causing this to occur and that will only happen if you work through the system in a LOGICAL manner.

It's not the starter button, I'll stop posting and let yall know when I figure it out.

Latest posts

Back