90 vmax 1200, new dyna, runs terribly.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion

Reaction score
So over the last 2 weeks i habent been able to get my bike to run for longer than 5 minutes. Started by replacing r/r, new pc680 battery, nothing. So i threw a dyna 3000 in (the model that doesnt have the switches om the back) and now shes missing like crazy, tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Anf when i try to put on the throttle it just wants to die. Im not the most mechanically versed person. I just got a cdi ftom sean that i plan to throw in and test, but besides that, any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One of the first things that I did when I bought my VMax was upgrade the ignition system to "COPS" a coil over plug.

I did this after running a few tankfuls of good gas with Seafoam thru it - and still having a stumble and stall issue when sitting at a light.

In my case, the ignition coils on my 2001 were heating up and providing poor spark to the cylinders.

Search for COPS on this site and you'll find a lot of helpful info.

COPS solved my problem - I would also recommend new spark plugs at the same time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the first things that I did when I bought my VMax was upgrade the ignition system to "COPS" a coil over plug.

I did this after running a few tankfuls of good gas with Seafoam thru it - and still having a stumble and stall issue when sitting at a light.

In my case, the ignition coils on my 2001 were heating up and providing poor spark to the cylinders.

Search for COPS on this site and you'll find a lot of helpful info.

COPS solved my problem - I would also recommend new spark plugs at the same time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a Dynatek 3000 also with the spilker cops that would not run at all---Where did you you get your cops?

So over the last 2 weeks i habent been able to get my bike to run for longer than 5 minutes. Started by replacing r/r, new pc680 battery, nothing. So i threw a dyna 3000 in (the model that doesnt have the switches om the back) and now shes missing like crazy, tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Anf when i try to put on the throttle it just wants to die. Im not the most mechanically versed person. I just got a cdi ftom sean that i plan to throw in and test, but besides that, any ideas?

How did this turn out?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I have cops with the resistors which i got from Jon Harris. I stupidly never properly checked the statpr pickup. Gives me 120 resistance when cold, bit after it warms up theres infinite resistance. I should have that swapped out by the end of next week. Ill post and update once i do.

A bad pick-up coil.

I've had two in 24 years of VMax ownership.

It didn't take much time after a cold start to go to an open circuit in the pick-up coil. Let it cool-down for a half-hour, and it would start again, but it wouldn't run for long! OK for trips within 2 miles...ugh!

I have cops with the resistors which i got from Jon Harris. I stupidly never properly checked the statpr pickup. Gives me 120 resistance when cold, bit after it warms up theres infinite resistance. I should have that swapped out by the end of next week. Ill post and update once i do.

I got a set of cops from Jon Harris after checking the ohms on my others set and finding them too high.:bang head:
I cannot believe the difference in the way this fires up, sounds, responds and pulls all the way through to redline. I also checked the resistance and they are exactly the same as the stock coils. I believe that the other resistor wires were harnessing the fire.:clapping:

Hey, atleast its something simple fix.

Quite a few people on here (when the stator goes bad), the bike will start and idle, and die a few miles up the road.

Hey, atleast its something simple fix.

Quite a few people on here (when the stator goes bad), the bike will start and idle, and die a few miles up the road.
Yah thats how it was to start with, it would run fine and then after warming up would die. Unfortunately i didnt test the coil before i put the cdi in, so im unable to tell if the cdi affects the way the bike runs now or not. Now im wondering if i should awap the pickup coil and the stator.

Yah thats how it was to start with, it would run fine and then after warming up would die. Unfortunately i didnt test the coil before i put the cdi in, so im unable to tell if the cdi affects the way the bike runs now or not. Now im wondering if i should awap the pickup coil and the stator.

Well, your there, so I would check the pick up coils, stator, etc. Might save you from having to replace things one piece at a time, which can get frustrating.

Latest posts

Back