Installing COPs inc. removing OEM coils pt2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
As I went to do the front COPs, I thought there was no way I would leave the original coils in place - after all the COPs mod is as much about saving weight and space as it is about better performance through less resistance in the coils circuit and better reliability through removing those failure-prone HT leads and spark plug boots.

Here's the lowdown on how to get 'em fuckers out - Yamaha did bury them nicely out of the way!

First things first, let's get access. To get to what we want, we need to remove the air box. No need to open it or remove the air filter - it all comes off in one piece dead easy. First loosen the air box boots clips (screws arrowed) on the left..
bootsleft.jpg

..and on the right.
bootsright.jpg

Then remove the fuel bowls vent hoses from the airbox on both sides...
ventsleft.jpg

ventsright.jpg

Pull off the puke tank and set it aside...
puketank.jpg

..and pull the crankcase vent hose from the bottom rear of the air box (the bitch clip is arrowed)...
bitchclip.jpg

then pull the whole air box off and go play some football with it :rofl_200:
airbox.jpg

On the electrics panel under the left cowl, pull the relays off their mounts (arrowed in red) and remove the three screws (arrowed in green)
LHpanel.jpg

and then pull the coil HT lead and boot out
pullboot.jpg

With the panel hanging down, we can now see the #4 coil connector. Remember the front coils are crossed - the left one feeds the right hand (#4) cylinder, and the right one feeds the left (#2) cylinder.
connector.jpg

Once unplugged, I pulled it through the frame above for easy access
pulledout.jpg

On the right hand side, the panel that holds the coolant filler cap etc needs to be moved (but not taken off) - remove the 3 screws arrowed:
RHpanel.jpg

Pull off the ignition switch cover
keycover.jpg

Here's the #2 coil - its first screw is just about accessible...
1coilscrew.jpg

...the other one is most definitely not!
1coilscrew2.jpg

I took the ignition key bracket off as well for easier access - both retaining bolts are arrowed:
lockbolts.jpg

then underneath the loosened panel, I undid the rubber heat shield fasteners (arrowed):
heatshieldR.jpg

Pull the heat shield down, and here's the #2 coil connector!
1coilconnector.jpg

Too many pics - let's go to part 3 and get them ol' front coils out!

Part 3 here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5869

Last edited:
A trick to get to the coil bolts is to remove four bolts (two per side) for the electrical tray the ignitor sits on. Then, move rearward and push to the side for access to the coil bolts.

A trick to get to the coil bolts is to remove four bolts (two per side) for the electrical tray the ignitor sits on. Then, move rearward and push to the side for access to the coil bolts.

It's all in Part 3... I know I'm really slow today! :confused2:

You sure are G! Well laid out, nice clear pics, good detail!

Far better than that dannymax did, no doubt about that!! :rofl_200:

Plus, I heard he didn't even remove his front coils-the lazy bum!!

Latest posts

Back