How To: Replace a Lost Key

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a key cutter on eBay that will cut your keys without your ignition or key. All he needs is the ignition number that's stamped or etched on the back from the factory. I used the guy a couple times a year or two ago when I ran into a similar problem. Total costs I think was under 25$. Money well spend, and nowhere near the locksmith cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a '97 Vmax. Always put my one and only key in the same place in the garage. One morning the key is gone. Tore the garage apart and never found the key. Called my insurance company and asked if I currently have roadside assistance and they said, "No." Asked if I DID have roadside assistance, would it cover a locksmith making a new key. "Yes," they said. How much for roadside assistance? "Seven dollars for a year." If I add roadside assistance today, can I use it tomorrow? "Yes." OK, give me roadside assistance. Hang up and call back a few minutes later and say I need roadside assistance for a lost motorcycle key at my house. "OK, that's going to be $180 for the service call, but the key is free." OK, how much to have my bike towed to the locksmith? "Oh, that's covered for nothing out-of-pocket." OK, send a tow truck to pick up my bike. Tow truck arrives, loads the bike, takes me and the bike to the locksmith. Locksmith takes 15 minutes to make a new key. New key works in ignition and gas cap. I ride home happy with no out-of-pocket, except for the $7 the insurance company billed me for the roadside assistance, plus $5 for a spare key. Now I always carry roadside assistance for every vehicle.

I needed a key for a for a bike and got one made new by cyclekeysonline.com. The key code was stamped on the back side of the helmet lock.

You can get a blank YH49 Vmax key on eBay for $6.50:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Mot...h=item564a7db5fa:g:IgIAAMXQoiJRgxHZ:rk:1:pf:0

Latest posts

Back