Magnacharger for vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! :thumbs up: Do you have a picture of you sitting on the bike? I've always wondered how close your leg gets to the drive unit.

I'll have to get my wife to get a close up picture of me sitting on the bike , the kit comes with left side peg extensions and shifter extentions to space out both 1 1/4 out. to accomadate the difference in the pulley assembly protruding out further as well. :stickyman:

Nice! :thumbs up: Do you have a picture of you sitting on the bike? I've always wondered how close your leg gets to the drive unit.

Awesome job, I've been wanting to do this for so long...You're great inspiration......Maybe some day.

How was the piston install?

How much Boost does it make With the lower compression?

And lastly how close is your left knee to that pulley, I'm 6' and worried it'd be a little tight.

Thanks,

Rusty

Well the piston install was quite simple , I like the way yamaha made the vmax block , I was able to remove the pistons and rods by removing both cylinder heads and the oil pan , and of course removing the engine . The pistons were Je 8:6,1 very good quality , The rings are file to fit takes a little patience for this part (very important process)
As for psi it is a 12lb boost setup,
I am 6' also and I have no problem with the pulley drive and belt . Knee hits top shield if you lay it there but I ride with my knees slightly out anyways .:banana:

Why do the rings need to be filed? Are you using stock rings with the aftermarket pistons? Just curious.

That is so friggin bad ass. I don't know if I need any more power for my Max, but it is almost worth it JUST to get a Holley 4 barrel for induction! LOL. I know how to tune those, unlike these friggin' motorcycle carbs that I am clueless with how to tune. I could tune that 390 in my sleep. Vacuum secondaries as well. You really don't have to much tuning at all, in reality.

I bet that the low boost version would be a real hoot on a mostly stock bike. You certainly wouldn't be waiting around for V-Boost to kick in. :punk:

Mike

Ring gap is an important thing Mark.

If you really have to wait for your vboost, something is wrong with it.It should rip up through the rpm's so fast that you never even notice it.Maybe you need to check the vboost slack adjustment or shift to a lower gear.

Ring gap is an important thing Mark.

If you really have to wait for your vboost, something is wrong with it.It should rip up through the rpm's so fast that you never even notice it.Maybe you need to check the vboost slack adjustment or shift to a lower gear.

No, it comes in where it is supposed to. I mean in higher gear roll ons. With the new clutch my bike is finally starting to live up to its potential. It feels like I was down about 30% before due to slippage that I could detect and slippage I could not. I rolled on it yesterday in second and had to hold the front end down.

Mike

The rings came with the Je pistons but You have to file the ring gap to the right specs . :eusa_dance:

Do you run a boost guage?

Is that 12psi boost with the 8.5:1 pistons? Or calculated to make 12psi on a stock max and then you reduced the compression ratio?

12psi is a HELL of a lot of boost.

14.7psi theoritically will DOUBLE the power on an engine; if nothing else was changed.

If you're making a full 12psi even with the lower compression ratio pistons I'm guessing you oughtta be making around 170-185 rwhp.

Might wanna consider an A/F guage also.

Love the setup, nothing sounds better than a really good blower whine.

Do you run a boost guage?

Is that 12psi boost with the 8.5:1 pistons? Or calculated to make 12psi on a stock max and then you reduced the compression ratio?

12psi is a HELL of a lot of boost.

14.7psi theoritically will DOUBLE the power on an engine; if nothing else was changed.

If you're making a full 12psi even with the lower compression ratio pistons I'm guessing you oughtta be making around 170-185 rwhp.

Might wanna consider an A/F guage also.

Love the setup, nothing sounds better than a really good blower whine.
It's 12 psi with the low compression pistons , so about 13 to 1 comp with boost .No gauge as of yet but I am looking into 1 for boost pressure. yeah want a a/f gauge to but unsure how to set it up. Also want a monster size tach with shift light . Really difficult to see the stock tach when you are hammering down . Engine tachs really quick now.. Although I must say . today I was outrun today by a hardley softail, well sort of . We launched off the redlight and I was gone until I needed to shift into 2nd and then my shifter decides to pop the c clip off and could not shift , hard:surprise:ley guy blows by me --- very embarassing I tell ya lol Thank you been steady at it for months , long ways to go , really love this forum , everyone is a great help.

Last edited:
It's 12 psi with the low compression pistons , so about 13 to 1 comp with boost .No gauge as of yet but I am looking into 1 for boost pressure. yeah want a a/f gauge to but unsure how to set it up. Also want a monster size tach with shift light . Really difficult to see the stock tach when you are hammering down . Engine tachs really quick now.. Although I must say . today I was outrun today by a hardley softail, well sort of . We launched off the redlight and I was gone until I needed to shift into 2nd and then my shifter decides to pop the c clip off and could not shift , hard:surprise:ley guy blows by me --- very embarassing I tell ya lol Thank you been steady at it for months , long ways to go , really love this forum , everyone is a great help.

I'm partial to the Dynojet Wideband Commander since it comes with an Anolog guage (don't think LCD digital readouts go to well with the Max's look) and has tons of datalogging capabilities as well as programmable outputss for whatever you want it to do with the inputs. I stole it off my wifes car or else I may not have parted with the $500 just to put it on a non F/I bike.

I've got an autometer boost guage on the shelf in the garage from her car for whenever the day comes.......Don't need it now.

How's the Supercharger working out?

Still up and running?

Are you getting it completely sorted out yet?

I'm so envious:worthy:

Rusty

How's the Supercharger working out?

Still up and running?

Are you getting it completely sorted out yet?

I'm so envious:worthy:

Rusty
Working out perfect. Thanks for asking . My bike seems to be performing better and better as I ride it . I just finished a R1 r/r upgrade and wow has this upgrade not only improved charging but also performance . my headlight no longer goes dim then bright , and no more ignition breakdown either . I honestly am very impressed with the magnacharger . No problems with the carb, no problems with the engine and have about close to 2000 miles since I completed it also. When I prepped the engine for the supercharger I fitted the rings exactly like the J, e piston kit recommended . and no problems ...:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back