How to recover your seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Here's how to save a bunch of money and bring your old seat back to new without either buying another seat or paying $ to have someone else recover your old seat.

My new project bike required a seat so I bought a used ripped up seat from Japan all for about $20 and a replacement new cover for about $40 nzd from memory.

All you need to do is remove the seat and remove the two screws where the rear cushion is attached to the main body, you will see from the first picture, the cushion will swing enough out the way to put the new cover on .
Using a small flat blade screwdriver pry up the old staples enough to pull the rest out with a pair of pointy pliers.

Remove the old cover and clean up and dirt etc from the seat.You will see the old cover now next to the new cover in picture 2.

I started at the mouth of the seat with the new cover and then worked down the sides and back. Fold the edges over and using a staple gun lay a few staples down. My staple gun is just a cheap air unit using 21g x 6mm staples.
Do NOT use longer staples because they will go through and prick your a$$.
A mechanical staple gun might work but I have no real experience with them.
Pull the edges tight and if you need make a fold overlap especially at the corners that's no problem just do it and put a staple there to hold the fold in place. The underneath of the seat where you are putting the staples does not need to look romantic. If you look at your oem seat and how the staples are you see you just need to do what's required to make the top look tight and neat.
Do not fret or worry that you might have a loose spot or wrinkle on top, just unpick a few of the staples , pull it tighter and re-staple. Even if you think its going on crooked you could literally unpick the staples a hundred times and start over.
From start to finish it only took about an hour.

If the rear cushion needs doing it will be a similar process

When its done pat yourself on the back and admire your new seat

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 142
Here's how to save a bunch of money and bring your old seat back to new without either buying another seat or paying $ to have someone else recover your old seat.

My new project bike required a seat so I bought a used ripped up seat from Japan all for about $20 and a replacement new cover for about $40 nzd from memory.

All you need to do is remove the seat and remove the two screws where the rear cushion is attached to the main body, you will see from the first picture, the cushion will swing enough out the way to put the new cover on .
Using a small flat blade screwdriver pry up the old staples enough to pull the rest out with a pair of pointy pliers.

Remove the old cover and clean up and dirt etc from the seat.You will see the old cover now next to the new cover in picture 2.

I started at the mouth of the seat with the new cover and then worked down the sides and back. Fold the edges over and using a staple gun lay a few staples down. My staple gun is just a cheap air unit using 21g x 6mm staples.
Do NOT use longer staples because they will go through and prick your a$$.
A mechanical staple gun might work but I have no real experience with them.
Pull the edges tight and if you need make a fold overlap especially at the corners that's no problem just do it and put a staple there to hold the fold in place. The underneath of the seat where you are putting the staples does not need to look romantic. If you look at your oem seat and how the staples are you see you just need to do what's required to make the top look tight and neat.
Do not fret or worry that you might have a loose spot or wrinkle on top, just unpick a few of the staples , pull it tighter and re-staple. Even if you think its going on crooked you could literally unpick the staples a hundred times and start over.
From start to finish it only took about an hour.

If the rear cushion needs doing it will be a similar process

When its done pat yourself on the back and admire your new seat
I have done the front and back,they turned out well.The center piece is another story,the staples will not go in.How did you do your center piece,and for those thinking of doing your own that center piece is a pig.

I have done the middle piece, thought it would be easy since it was so small.....wrong
It too 2 attempts but it looks great but you have to use a lot of heat (heat gun or hair blower) and a lot of stretching. And take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind the stock flip was thin material and heat formed. If you try and stretch material over the shape it will distort the lines and just look stupid. You have to make the cover in three sections so it will hold the profile correctly.

Latest posts

Back