Carburetor idle circuit cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it and it works great. it is also a good time to check your slide diaphragm for any rips or tears. 2 of mine had small rips in them which I was able to repair with a little bit of silicone. They are pretty expensive to buy.

Buster Hymen said:
I've done it and it works great. it is also a good time to check your slide diaphragm for any rips or tears. 2 of mine had small rips in them which I was able to repair with a little bit of silicone. They are pretty expensive to buy.

If I just remove the A/F mixture screws,can I blow air through them without having to do the whole procedure? and when you blow though the A/F holes where does the air come out from?
Thanks
________
Ferrari FXX

Last edited:
Ibrahim, if you blow through the mixture screw hold air will blow out from PAJ1 at the top of each carb and also PAJ2 behind the slide diaphragm. I would remove the slides, mixtures screws and get carb cleaner in each oriface. That includes the main air bleed, 3 holes for the purge jets, mixture screw hole, and both PAJs.

Something else you can try is a fuel additive called Seafoam. You can get it at O'Reilly's or any other auto store. It comes in a which can with red lettering. I put a 3rd of a bottle in the tank and it'll clean your entire fuel system including the carbs and combustion chamber. Idle seems a bit more crisp.

Take care,

Mark,I'll second that seafoam cleans them out real good.carbs,valves,I even use it for stabilizer over the winter.I run about a 1/3 bottle through mine every 3-4 tanks.The quality of the gasoline nowadays is very questionable anymore.Summer is coming,corngas is on the way.Techron is supposed to do well too. Shawn

maleko89 said:
Ibrahim, if you blow through the mixture screw hold air will blow out from PAJ1 at the top of each carb and also PAJ2 behind the slide diaphragm. I would remove the slides, mixtures screws and get carb cleaner in each oriface. That includes the main air bleed, 3 holes for the purge jets, mixture screw hole, and both PAJs.

Something else you can try is a fuel additive called Seafoam. You can get it at O'Reilly's or any other auto store. It comes in a which can with red lettering. I put a 3rd of a bottle in the tank and it'll clean your entire fuel system including the carbs and combustion chamber. Idle seems a bit more crisp.

Take care,

SeaFoam is a great product and so is Techron additive. If you can't find the seafoam the Techron works just as well.

Sean

I always use chevron 87 ,the problem I have is that the bike doesn't fire up instantly from the first turn like it use to:a014: when cold and even after the dealer adjusted the A/F mixture with a sniffer , synced the carbs and changed fuel filter the idle looms around the 500 rpm AFTER one minute of choke at 1200 RPM. After the bike is warmed up it is very crisp and responsive.
These symptoms make me suspect the idle circuits need some cleaning, it also happened suddenly but the bike runs great when at operating temperature.
I use the bike 7 days/wk so its not gummed out but I tinkered a lot with the air /fuel mixture screws ( gently but a lot ) while trying to make the colortune work:(
What do guys think?
________
Yamaha Artist

Last edited:
maleko89 said:

Take care,

Where are the 3 holes of the purge jets and the main bleed? sorry I never looked at the carburetors, can you provide a photo or two?
Thanks
________
teen vids

Last edited:
Ibrahim, if the bike idles good at 1K when warm, your idle circuits are fine. Mine is a bit finicky too when starting it cold because it wants only a certain amount of choke. I apply my choke about half way, hold the throttle barely at the closed position and when it fires one time give it just a tiny bit of throttle.......hardly anything, just enough to keep it going over 1K. I adjust the choke then to idle at 1K-1.2K and leave it on for a mile or two while riding. Works for me. 3 turns out from lightly seated should be OK for the idle screws. The more you tell us, the more we can focus in on the problem. See if you can get a de-smogger, living in the LA area. Those smoggers are hard to get rid of. :)

mikemax04 said:
Ibrahim, if the bike idles good at 1K when warm, your idle circuits are fine. Mine is a bit finicky too when starting it cold because it wants only a certain amount of choke. I apply my choke about half way, hold the throttle barely at the closed position and when it fires one time give it just a tiny bit of throttle.......hardly anything, just enough to keep it going over 1K. I adjust the choke then to idle at 1K-1.2K and leave it on for a mile or two while riding. Works for me. 3 turns out from lightly seated should be OK for the idle screws. The more you tell us, the more we can focus in on the problem. See if you can get a de-smogger, living in the LA area. Those smoggers are hard to get rid of. :)

That is basically what I do to, what is a de-smogger?
At operating temps the bike is very crisp and responsive, but just the sudden change makes me think about it and try to find out what is it:)
________
Suzuki Bandit Series

Last edited:
Ibrahim, I would do the shotgun, re-sync the carbs and then adjust the idle thumb screw. Other things to check are air filter, float level, compression and for a weak spark. HOw old are your spark plug wires? Get a multimeter out and check the resistance of the secondary coils, plug wires and boots. Stick the (+) lead up in the boot and the (-) lead on a clean engine bolt.

maleko89 said:
Ibrahim, I would do the shotgun, re-sync the carbs and then adjust the idle thumb screw. Other things to check are air filter, float level, compression and for a weak spark. HOw old are your spark plug wires? Get a multimeter out and check the resistance of the secondary coils, plug wires and boots. Stick the (+) lead up in the boot and the (-) lead on a clean engine bolt.

Spark plug wires are 23k old
________
buy cannabis seeds

Last edited:
Whoa, check them out definitely. You may have a weak spark.

Ibrahim,The wires come apart just be unscrewing the ends off.Sometimes there is green corrosion in there.The wire can be cut back a 1/4 inch or so to get to new clean wire again.Measure all four with an ohm meter too.It will show you if any are real bad. Shawn

Plug wires are fine, iridium plugs new, used the sea foam cleaner nothing helped.I guess I'll have to do the shotgun cleaning thing .
________
Ford E-Series

Last edited:
maleko89 said:

Take care,

I am pleased to say that seafoam finally worked after 3 tanks, I definitely feel the difference, the bike starts right up when cold and is smooth at very low RPM. thanks Mark & Sean for suggesting seafoam, I used chevron additive but could not feel any difference, seafoam made a big difference using 3rd of a bottle per full tank 3 consecutive fills.
I guess it needs time to clear everything.
________
Kawasaki KX60

Last edited:
I am new to the forum and have a similar rough running problem.
Funny thing is the bike just came back from a big service that cost me 500bucks. But that is another issue.

I think I want to also check my fuel filter.
Can anyone tell me where to look to find it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back