Air/Fuel gauge?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
Went to local bike night tonight and saw 3 other gen1 vmaxes, and one of them had a small (about 1&1/2 inch diameter) A/F gauge mounted in his faux tank. It looked like an older gauge, and seemed to have lights that lit up the different sections, ie: very lean, lean, rich ,very rich. I did a search but only seemed to find newer style gauges. Anyways, I waited around for the owner to show up so I could talk to him about it, but he never turned up. Anyone seen anything similar, or have any experience with them? I didn't see any sensors welded into his pipes either, so I am wondering what it was reading from?

the innovate stuff has smaller gauges i believe.

Went to local bike night tonight and saw 3 other gen1 vmaxes, and one of them had a small (about 1&1/2 inch diameter) A/F gauge mounted in his faux tank. It looked like an older gauge, and seemed to have lights that lit up the different sections, ie: very lean, lean, rich ,very rich. I did a search but only seemed to find newer style gauges. Anyways, I waited around for the owner to show up so I could talk to him about it, but he never turned up. Anyone seen anything similar, or have any experience with them? I didn't see any sensors welded into his pipes either, so I am wondering what it was reading from?

Any A/F guage has to have an o2 sensor installed somewhere in the exhaust to get a reading...

Most of the guages that are simply a series of LED's indicating lean - rich are narrow band guages; not always, but usually a wideband system will indicate an actual number via a digital or analog readout or needle, versus the cheap led thingamajigs.

Narrow band, regardless of what they put on the guage as far as "very" rich or "very" lean as opposed to just rich or lean, DOES NOT HAVE THAT ABILITY, they are gimmicks.

Narrow band has ONLY the capabilty to read either richer than stoich, or leaner than stoich, meaning it only has two output modes, the rest is just pretty lights to look at...

Wideband systems on the other hand are accurate from around 10:1 up to 18:1 a/f ratio, and provide meaningful information....

Thanks for the replies. I wish the guy would have showed up so I could have talked to him about it. I'm not sure if it had a needle or was LED.

Don't get Dynojet's Wideband 2 system... it's junk. We got one for our school's clean snowmobile and they were wildly inaccurate, the readings would constantly jump around like crazy, couldn't get any useful info out of it. We worked with dynojet also, put the sensors where they said, tried calibrations, ect, never worked right.

Don't get Dynojet's Wideband 2 system... it's junk. We got one for our school's clean snowmobile and they were wildly inaccurate, the readings would constantly jump around like crazy, couldn't get any useful info out of it. We worked with dynojet also, put the sensors where they said, tried calibrations, ect, never worked right.

That's odd, I know a handful (8 or 9) that have it on gasoline only f/i cars and some drag bikes and always worked fine and compared dead on to dyno sniffers......They are extremely responsive and have to have the smoothing set right to stabilize the readings...........Is the snow machine 2 cycle??? Corrrect sensor???

Actually now that I re-read your post I see you said WB II, the ones I have experience and exposure to are the original WB Commander............Any way, Mine and others have always worked great.....

Just found the fuel gauge of my dreams. If they actually make one like this I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Attachments

• mRx9mZcEIpQRrwXXEnHqUMw.jpg
    mRx9mZcEIpQRrwXXEnHqUMw.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 183
Just found the fuel gauge of my dreams. If they actually make one like this I would buy it in a heartbeat!
attachment.php

Seems legit!
rainbowlaugh.png

Im also looking into adding a wideband sensor for my 2001. I have a marks 4 to 1 ss exhaust and morleys muscle kit. My question is when i add the sensor into the exhaust, does it have to be after the 4 come togetger or can i put it on a header?

'Scuse me if I'm being a bit thick but....

We have four carbs so to get an accurate reading wouldn't four gauges or the ability to switch between a sensor in each header be required?

If the sensor was fitted (say) after the 4 - 1 collector then you would be reading the average of all four carbs.

It would show your fuelling to be correct if two were lean and two were rich by the same amount?

You are correct that 4 ports would be ideal but for 99% this wouldn't be required. If you wanted to monitor each cylinder then that could do the job and tell you when one was out. If you wanted to go that route I would suggest something more elaborate like the EGT sensors.

Like this:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1342/535/1600/WES_3AQ2.jpg

No, not something I want but I do question why someone would want an instrument that doesn't give and information that is useful i.e. the average a.f.r of the four carbs.

No, not something I want but I do question why someone would want an instrument that doesn't give and information that is useful i.e. the average a.f.r of the four carbs.

This would require a 4 into 1 exhaust with 02 at merge.

This would require a 4 into 1 exhaust with 02 at merge.

I understand that....the point I'm trying to make is that whilst a.f.r meter may have some benefit for a vehicle with a single carb (assuming it is accurate) what conclusions regarding fueling can be gained on a multi carbed motor unless you can assess the a.f.r. of each cylinder?

I understand that....the point I'm trying to make is that whilst a.f.r meter may have some benefit for a vehicle with a single carb (assuming it is accurate) what conclusions regarding fueling can be gained on a multi carbed motor unless you can assess the a.f.r. of each cylinder?

Oh I agree with ya! I'm just a master of the obvious! :biglaugh:

I would think a sensor could be put in each of the four pipes and a rotary switch installed somewhere on the bike to change which pipe sensor the gauge is reading from. Of course, there are solid state devices that switch also, but "old school" would work.

Latest posts

Back