Oil Pressure Gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1RadV

Reaction score
Just looking to buy an oil Psi. Gauge for my 86 Vmax. I just want to use the plug hole on the right side has any one used or knows where to get a sensor type that might read more acurate or a vendor that sells a complete kit with a mechanical guage that mounts close by I thought I read about one that mounts on the water pump some where here or just uses the fittings to pertrude off of, seen a few like that in pics. Im guessing stainless fittings probably the way to go there. Thanks George.

I had the COO handlebar mount kit. Nice quality. The guy doing it is a one-man-band though, so sometimes orders can take a while to get out.

They also make the water pump mount ones, but to me that's kind of pointless since how often are you looking at your boots while riding?

Some people reported leaks using a regular fiber washer in the bung, however the crush washer for a subaru oil drain plug fits perfectly. I used one and never had so much as a moistness around the fitting for well over a year until I sold it.

Thanks for both replys still wonder if someone has tried a sensor type where they got it and what they thought of it, mine might need a little work so I'm going to save the cash for now got a gauge at autozone going to tap the stock plug for a fitting and use the plastic line with brass fittings in the kit just to get a reading then fix what ever and get one on the bars for sure.

Ya I kinda wondered if the 1/8 pipe tap would be to small the drill size for it is 21/64ths and I think that the edges of the Allen hole would still be there and to wide for it the kit comes with a 1/4 adaptor that might work but like you said could get two thin down in at the bottom of the threads where it would be finally tightening up they told me 35 to 37 for the cowasicky plug but none in stock around here it's just this terrible itch when you gotta find out.

+1, it is very thin.
I went to an industrial hose and fitting shop, with the stock plug for reference, and picked up what I needed. No leaks, and works wonderfully. Not to mention easy on the wallet.

fitting.jpg

p1030733qj.jpg

instruments.jpg

Yup looks good that's what I was hoping to find but autozone and Kragen well you understand. Are you running a copper or braided line of some kind.

Well I got lucky and it worked I center punched the middle of the allen hole in the stock plug used a 21/64 drill and 1/8 npt pipe thread tap about half way up so the thing would not pull threw the threads and tightened the plastic gauge line adaptor in there and used it then to tighten the plug in and snuged the adaptor a little more, started the bike up and by all standards from everything I've read on oil Psi all was fine I reved a couple times no bad noise so I put my ear around and found that the two tone clatter I was hearing was loudest right out at the end of the water pump housing but could only hear it by putting my ear almost on it which of course is about the center of the crankshaft in the middle of the block, 33000 miles on it and it just started seaping from the pump, now I took it for a ride and just started to hear it come back in louder as I got back when it was normal hot no oill pressure dip or drop at all when it clattered all looked good that way so I parked got off and put my ear as close to the center by the oil filter reached up and blipped the throttle and it sounded just like a rod bering two tone clatter kinda clear hard and loud could almost feel it. Now can the water pump have that type of an effect/sound I do know I'm out of sync a little do you think the two together could be causing the sound since oil psi ok or maybe bering still getting ready to munch and I've just got lucky enough that I wasn't hammering it. Guess I'll try syncing first then water pump (money issue now) hope I can run the pump a little longer if no change with the carbs set I'll just end up putting the pump on and see from there gona need it anyway even if I have to get into motor love this bike like the new one but don't want to pay 20 grand just yet bought mine new for 5 nobody knew what they even were then.

Just purchased one of the Oil Pressure gauges from Cycleoneoff.com. (The water pump mount one). My Oil level light keeps coming on during acceleration, (I know that is normal), but for piece of mind I installed the gauge. The kit was really easy to install. For some reason my kit did not come with the 90 degree elbow, just the plug, and adapter. Their web site picture showed the 90 degree fitting, so I made a trip to the hardware store and bought a 1/8 pipe to 1/8 pipe elbow. Everything went smooth and the gauge looks great. Like many have said, you normally don't look down a your boot to see the gauge, but I tried it out and when the Oil Level light came on, I glanced down at the gauge and pressure was plenty good. I am running the oil level at the top of the sight glass like many have suggested, but I guess that is normal for the light to come on. Now I am not so concerned about the light!

Attachments

• VMAX Oil Gauge.jpg
    VMAX Oil Gauge.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 90
I posted to this older thread because I had a little trouble figuring out what I needed to add a pressure gauge...

Got the galley plug on ebay for 9.99 , its an " Exhaust Temp Temperature Sensor Adapter M20x1.5 20mmx1.5 -1/8NPT " , comes with a copper washer and already tapped for the fitting. Also bought a " Braided Pressure Gauge Line Kit, For Oil/Water/Fuel Gauges, 48 Inch " 20 bucks on ebay and comes with the fittings, seems to be decent quality. Then a , " Marshall Gauge 0-100 Psi Fuel / Oil Pressure White 1.5" Diameter (Liquid Filled) " 18 dollars. Total cost = 50 bucks and it all fits together nicely. I ordered the cycleoneoff O-ring kit 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a word, tired of waiting, should have just ordered a new gasket and fixed it myself. Here are the links to the ebay parts, not sure if they'll still be active by the time someone uses them but thought id throw them in. I also found a 90 degree fitting (to replace the straight one included with the line) for the output of the galley plug on amazon for 9 dollars to streamline things a little.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Te...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Braided-Pr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPJIQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts

Back