My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vmax on hold.

WOrking on acessing rear cylinder head on 2008 Honda PIlot. Suspected bent/damaged valves from timing belt break, happened from a stop sign so slow speed. back in january.

front cyulinders had 215 pressure, rear left and middle had 0, rear right had 215.

stipped all stuff off down to head. Do I need to take off the cam sprocket thing? DO I need to be at TDC to do this, or should I?

Cat converter is mounted to back side of head by 4 nuts theaded onto studs that thred into head. i loosed up all 4, but top 2 rusted on nuts (had been penetrating oiled up for couple days) came out with studs that were threaded into engine. bottom 2 nuts came off studs as expected.

coolant passage is loosened, and I think that's it except for taking off valve cover, and taking out head bolts, and removing/lifting head off... i'm concerned about that damn cat....

will that cat be an issue when trying to remove head ? do i need to remove/loosed rusted up nuts/bolts holding it in place on bottom? they look nasty..

obviously havent gotten to replacing bent valves, or finding out which ones they are of the 4 per cylinder. best to just buy 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder that I had the zero compression? tahts 8 total.

advice, thoughts? i'm neck deep in this so gotta see it through. been a true test thus far... hope to come out on other side alive... thnx guys

ALRIGHT got head off.

wahts best way to clean up/prep those mating surfaces on aluminum? i.e. head to block (where new head gasket will go). head to lower manifold, etc.? dont want to damage, just make sure ready for gasket.. and reassembly.

do i clean up those pistons? they are still in block, one block side, front, is all still on.. can i crank over main crank to easier access piston heads to clean them up? or dont worry bout this..?

should i go ahead and do re-valve job and all that with front cyl. head too? i did have 215 pressure per cylinder so all those front 3 good,.. thanks guys.

Doing 1 side of a 2 cyl head engine is a used car (or bike) special. No reputable mechanic would do that. Both heads should be serviced. The only exception I can think of is if you were replacing a blown head gasket only.

how about a non-mechanic reputable or not? i'm just doin this after work for her. i see ur point.. def best practice esp with all the work in getting in there type o thing.. but compression was good on those 3 cylinders when tested.. this is my gf's car #hercarmyproblem . if compression was good when tested, do i have anything to worry about bent valves on that cyl. ?

how about a non-mechanic reputable or not? i'm just doin this after work for her. i see ur point.. def best practice esp with all the work in getting in there type o thing.. but compression was good on those 3 cylinders when tested.. this is my gf's car #hercarmyproblem . if compression was good when tested, do i have anything to worry about bent valves on that cyl. ?

Compression would be effected by bent valves.

You're in there already, remove the other side and examine it for issues, the cost of your labor is 'zip,' and you're only gonna have to spend for a second head gasket. It buys you peace of mind, and ensures your job will not have to be repeated because you didn't take the 'easy-way-out.'

I am not a professional mechanic.

Do you have a Haynes manual for the vehicle? I think they are a good resource, I've used them on cars, trucks, and motorcycles for decades. It could answer questions you have about disassembly and reassembly. Torque values are important.

For cleaning gasket surfaces, there are spray products you can use to dissolve the heat bond if the gaskets are baked-on. I usually use a new single-sided razorblade held at a shallow angle, in a rigid blade holder and have patience. To clean things before the new gasket goes-on, I use acetone or lacquer thinner, or carb cleaner on a towel. Go easy on the gasket goo, too-much, and it could end up in an oil galley and cause oil starvation, and cost you an engine.

putting the PIlot conversation to rest..for now.

Did the whole firewall side valve job. replaced front cat, tried to do firewall side but had issues with removing it...need to take out some axle thing...done f*cking with it. car got no CEL on been great sounds good.

I will be getting into the Max now.

Update since last knowledge on here, I started it up the other night. Still won't run without choke full on. Assuming clean carbs etc. bike dies when accelerate. I checked temp of the cylinders after running a minute or so and only the cyl. #2 seemed to get hot wayyyyyyyyy before any others... i didnt keep it running long enough or they should have been heating up a lot faster than that?! . I know i'm getting spark to 3 & 4 as I checked it weeks ago. put in my own COPS this winter, no resistor on them.

Latest posts

Back