New '18 Goldwing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
All new bike. Option of bagger(standard) or full dresser(Tour). Finally got a 6 speed for the manual, and optional 7 speed dual-clutch automatic. Lost 90+lbs of weight (the bagger version only weighs a touch more than a gen2). New wishbone front suspension a la BMW. The flat 6 finally went to a 4 valve design also, up about 10hp peak, but midrange torque is much higher. Starter/generator integrated in one unit. Lots of other cool new tricks.

I'm decently considering one for next year in the bagger version. Vmax fast? No. But initial reviews say these things are way sportier than they have any right to be. Honda held the pre-release demo for journalists at a track- not on the roads.

The replacement for the Concours14 is supposed to be revealed at EICMA (rumors are floating around about new super-tourer with a derivative of the H2's supercharged 1000). That might sway me away from the Wing if it turns out to be real and not cost $50k, but for a mass market sport-tourer, it can't have the halo bike price tag.

I like the style of Yamaha's "Eluder" bagger, but the sleepy gigantic air-cooled v-twin with the redline of a dump truck doesn't really do it for me. Neither does it's massive curb weight- the new Wing is over 100lbs less. Now if the Eluder had a derivative of the Gen2 engine, preferably tweaked so it gets more than 20mpg, I would have already walked into a Yamaha shop checkbook in hand.

Anyone else considering one of these new Wings?

Ive been keeping an eye on this. It's the bike many of us were hoping the new 2018 Venture was going to be, before Yamaha unveiled an improved Road King instead of a performance touring bike. The 2018 Venture was a crushing dissapointment and not at all what many of us were expecting but it was a relief to learn that I would not be spending the $$.

If I'm not mistaken this will be the first production bike to have a DSG gearbox as an option. I think it was Honda way back in the day that offered an actual automatic and maybe later some CVT stuff. I'm clutch guy but I think a DSG version will sell quite well if it's mapped right. I have faith, Honda usually does stuff right.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh and taking a test ride. If (unlike previous wings) there is a place to put my feet I just may consider one. They sure look a helluva lot better besides all the other improvements to an already world class touring bike. I guess time will tell but it looks to have all the right stuff in all the right places. As long as I can get mine with a clutch it's hard not to consider it.

My friend has a Honda 450 vertical parallel twin in the shop. It's got the automatic gearbox. Someone brought it in for work, it's got a problem because parts are obsolete. They had to mod the intakes w/a sleeve to fix an air leak, and it's been giving them issues to idle. You cannot work the throttle to keep it going, because then it wants to go, the automatic. I recall the SOHC 750A used parts from the Civic (remember the CVCC engine, w/the preignition chambers?) A certain company using the initials preceding HN actually built a 350 V8 using the Honda cyl head principle, and it was a success in that it ran well, but was more-expensive to build, so it wasn't developed further. There is an SAE paper on it.

Wow, I'm too-cheap to buy something that new, that expensive, but take your time, and buy what you really want/like. I'm gonna putter-around w/my 'old crocks.' It seems like this is a great time to buy a bike, the technology is just outstanding. Have you looked at the Aprilia Tuono? Yes, it's a V4, and Cycle World just named it "Best Standard."

One of my buddies back in NY had an 1100 Tuono, and before that the 1000cc version. Very fun bike. Warp speed fast, sublime handling, and of course it sounded amazing being a V4.

However, the '14 1000cc version grenaded it's engine at about 6,000 miles and he went to all out war with Piaggio to get it covered, they pushed back saying it was "abused" and were denying warranty. Eventually he got them to pay for the engine, but not labor, and he swapped the engine himself. Even before the engine nuked, it had all sorts of "Italian quibbles". Like the starter was too weak to crank the engine when it was hot. And it didn't like to start on cool mornings. And it also suffered "gen2 syndrome" of high fuel consumption coupled with a small tank, ect, ect.

I've gotten spoiled by new bikes. I don't mind puttering around with old projects, and still quite enjoy it, but for my "main" bike, I'm spoiled. A lot of people dream of buying a Ferrari, a big RV, or some other six-figure toy. If my dream is to drop the equivalent of a small Hyundai on a nice motorcycle I'll enjoy the hell out of, I'm OK with that. Especially since my car is company provided(free).

New bikes are nice. That's why I got the FZ-10. It's fast as hell. Smooth power, slipper clutch is nice. I just installed the quick shifter on it and love it. Totally different animal than the Max. I equate it to Lenox Lewis while the Max is more like Mike Tyson, lol.

And the rumors were true. The Ninja H2 "SX" sport tourer was unveiled this morning. 200hp, 560lbs (about 130lbs less than the Concours14) and of course all the latest electronic gadgets.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-ninja-h2-sx-sport-tourer-first-look

The Concours is still listed as a 2018 model, so the SX was an addition, not a replacement- at least for now. Suggests to me that the SX will be considerably more expensive than the Connie, so it's being retained as now probably the middle child in the price spectrum between the $12k Ninja1000, then the $16k Concours, with the SX being the ultra-premium option. Specs and pricing aren't out yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be into the 20s especially for the tarted up "SE" version that comes with even more gadgets and the obligatory acid green Kawi paint job.

And the rumors were true. The Ninja H2 "SX" sport tourer was unveiled this morning. 200hp, 560lbs (about 130lbs less than the Concours14) and of course all the latest electronic gadgets.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-ninja-h2-sx-sport-tourer-first-look

The Concours is still listed as a 2018 model, so the SX was an addition, not a replacement- at least for now. Suggests to me that the SX will be considerably more expensive than the Connie, so it's being retained as now probably the middle child in the price spectrum between the $12k Ninja1000, then the $16k Concours, with the SX being the ultra-premium option. Specs and pricing aren't out yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be into the 20s especially for the tarted up "SE" version that comes with even more gadgets and the obligatory acid green Kawi paint job.

That's cool as can be! Bikes have gotten so sophisticated though. That's a good thing and a bad thing. I could (with guidance from y'all) work on the Max. The FZ is out of pay grade though! I can change oil but I am not even sure about being able to change the damn plugs, lol!

Yeah, with improved performance comes complexity. I agree it's kind of a double edge sword, obviously all the tech and advancements makes the bike more comfortable, fun, safe, and improves performance. At the same time, it makes modification and repairs more difficult. I've never had to do anything more complex on a Goldwing than change the oil (quite easy actually), and not sure I'd want to. Can only imagine the tupperware removal to get at anything.

The H2 SX is certainly cool, but I almost feel it would be TOO much. It's listed at $25,300 Canadian for the SE, so I'd expect it to be a smidge cheaper in the US, but probably still 19-20k for the base model, and 23-24k for the SE- so it's priced right in line with a base bagger Goldwing. I feel like the SX would be an absolute riot to rent for a weekend and go nuts with, but the Goldwing is something I could live with every day, and still have enough capability to satisfy when I feel like picking up the pace.

So just a follow up for anyone interested-

The worldwide press launch is out in Bastrop, which is about 20 miles east of Austin where I am. We got a serious cold front and a freezing rain storm, which found from forum posts delayed the planned two-day press ride.

Since the hotel/resort where the launch was held was so close, we decided to take a drive out there and poke around. Big Honda tractor trailer in the parking lot and probably 2 dozen new Wings parked next to it. Not a person in sight. Wandered inside and followed the Honda signs inside to a ballroom. Door unlocked, nobody around, so just let myself in. There was a new bagger and Tour model inside, along with bare chassis of the 17 and new '18 models to compare. Essentially had free reign to play with the bikes (even started it up, as both had keys in them). The specs and headlines have all been well covered in articles, but these were a few hands on impressions I took away.

-It feels noticeably lighter picking it up off the stand versus a 2017 and really doesn't feel that heavy period. Can tell the weight is carried low.
-The infotainment system is intuitive and simple to use. Within 5 minutes I'd had the basic systems figured out. The built in nav is typical of any automotive one, would get the job done, but still clunky compared to a phone (which if Apple, can be mirrored onto the display via CarPlay).
-Exhaust note is surprisingly throaty/deep. Sounds nice. Aftermarket exhausts for Wings were rare before, will be even moreso now.
-Heated grips heat up NOW. Within a second or two you feel heat.
-There's no starter whine or "cranking". When you click the start button, the engine is just instantly on due to the integrated starter/generator. It has start/stop functionality, but it's disabled for US bound bikes.
-It's surprisingly easy to get up on the centerstand, but the rear wheel is juuuuust barely off the ground. (maybe 1/2")

Few negatives I noticed-

-Paint quality is not amazing. Immediately noticeable orange peel on the finish, and while I didn't see these in natural sunlight, the paint just doesn't really pop. The silver is predictably "meh", and the red and blue are both darker, muted shades without any real depth. My Indian- and Kawi Z1000 before that- both had much nicer finishes, and both cost less than half as much.

-Fit and finish issues. This I found most disappointing. The little cubby in the console has a flimsy cheap feeling latch button that does not open or close easily. The saddlebags need to be really slammed in order to latch, with way more effort than you'd think is necessary. The "flying" console over the handlebars looks a little chintzy in person, the plastic whiffs of cheapness. The buttons on the handlebars are mushy and flexy, with no solid "press" or tactile feedback. Noticed a couple panel gaps, and something was rattling instantly when I fired it up- a mild plasticky sounding buzz. No bueno on a $27,000 motorcycle. Additionally, a few of the press bikes I noticed had a small- but detectable- amount of play in the steering. That was one of my concerns with the fork-less design- there's a lot of bearings, links, ect that all could potentially wear and introduce play.

- If you go for the base/bagger model, Honda yanks a lot of the goodies, then will sell them all back to you for an up-charge. Disappointing given the very much premium price of even the $24k base model (all the way up to 31,500 for the Tour DCT Airbag).

-The trunk on the Tour model doesn't fit two average full face helmets. This fact more than any other has the old guard Wingers up in arms. There is also no way a helmet will fit in the side cases. They're surprisingly tiny, and the inside wall is irregularly shaped. These are "weekender" bags at best, not cross-country tourer. I am confident both my VFR, and my buddy's Concours14, have bigger side bags.

-In half an hour fiddling around, I could not figure out how to open the cover over the gas cap.

Ultimately, I walked away kind of underwhelmed. To my eye, the bike feels kind of overpriced, especially the bagger, which strips a lot more than just the trunk for only a small price cut to the Tour. Even on the Tour, the traction control is of the rudimentary wheel-speed variety, not the modern IMU based- which can be found on bikes costing half as much. The brake lines are all rubber, not stainless. Numerous other little things that don't scream "wrong", but don't lend themselves to making the bike feel like a luxurious, ultra premium product. Honda is really billing (and pricing) this thing as like the Rolls Royce of motorcycles, and I didn't really get that feel.

So just a follow up for anyone interested-

The worldwide press launch is out in Bastrop, which is about 20 miles east of Austin where I am. We got a serious cold front and a freezing rain storm, which found from forum posts delayed the planned two-day press ride.

Since the hotel/resort where the launch was held was so close, we decided to take a drive out there and poke around. Big Honda tractor trailer in the parking lot and probably 2 dozen new Wings parked next to it. Not a person in sight. Wandered inside and followed the Honda signs inside to a ballroom. Door unlocked, nobody around, so just let myself in. There was a new bagger and Tour model inside, along with bare chassis of the 17 and new '18 models to compare. Essentially had free reign to play with the bikes (even started it up, as both had keys in them). The specs and headlines have all been well covered in articles, but these were a few hands on impressions I took away.

-It feels noticeably lighter picking it up off the stand versus a 2017 and really doesn't feel that heavy period. Can tell the weight is carried low.
-The infotainment system is intuitive and simple to use. Within 5 minutes I'd had the basic systems figured out. The built in nav is typical of any automotive one, would get the job done, but still clunky compared to a phone (which if Apple, can be mirrored onto the display via CarPlay).
-Exhaust note is surprisingly throaty/deep. Sounds nice. Aftermarket exhausts for Wings were rare before, will be even moreso now.
-Heated grips heat up NOW. Within a second or two you feel heat.
-There's no starter whine or "cranking". When you click the start button, the engine is just instantly on due to the integrated starter/generator. It has start/stop functionality, but it's disabled for US bound bikes.
-It's surprisingly easy to get up on the centerstand, but the rear wheel is juuuuust barely off the ground. (maybe 1/2")

Few negatives I noticed-

-Paint quality is not amazing. Immediately noticeable orange peel on the finish, and while I didn't see these in natural sunlight, the paint just doesn't really pop. The silver is predictably "meh", and the red and blue are both darker, muted shades without any real depth. My Indian- and Kawi Z1000 before that- both had much nicer finishes, and both cost less than half as much.

-Fit and finish issues. This I found most disappointing. The little cubby in the console has a flimsy cheap feeling latch button that does not open or close easily. The saddlebags need to be really slammed in order to latch, with way more effort than you'd think is necessary. The "flying" console over the handlebars looks a little chintzy in person, the plastic whiffs of cheapness. The buttons on the handlebars are mushy and flexy, with no solid "press" or tactile feedback. Noticed a couple panel gaps, and something was rattling instantly when I fired it up- a mild plasticky sounding buzz. No bueno on a $27,000 motorcycle. Additionally, a few of the press bikes I noticed had a small- but detectable- amount of play in the steering. That was one of my concerns with the fork-less design- there's a lot of bearings, links, ect that all could potentially wear and introduce play.

- If you go for the base/bagger model, Honda yanks a lot of the goodies, then will sell them all back to you for an up-charge. Disappointing given the very much premium price of even the $24k base model (all the way up to 31,500 for the Tour DCT Airbag).

-The trunk on the Tour model doesn't fit two average full face helmets. This fact more than any other has the old guard Wingers up in arms. There is also no way a helmet will fit in the side cases. They're surprisingly tiny, and the inside wall is irregularly shaped. These are "weekender" bags at best, not cross-country tourer. I am confident both my VFR, and my buddy's Concours14, have bigger side bags.

-In half an hour fiddling around, I could not figure out how to open the cover over the gas cap.

Ultimately, I walked away kind of underwhelmed. To my eye, the bike feels kind of overpriced, especially the bagger, which strips a lot more than just the trunk for only a small price cut to the Tour. Even on the Tour, the traction control is of the rudimentary wheel-speed variety, not the modern IMU based- which can be found on bikes costing half as much. The brake lines are all rubber, not stainless. Numerous other little things that don't scream "wrong", but don't lend themselves to making the bike feel like a luxurious, ultra premium product. Honda is really billing (and pricing) this thing as like the Rolls Royce of motorcycles, and I didn't really get that feel.

Not really.Have you priced Harvey's cvo limited."$42000".It is a dresser but not in the same league as the Gold Wing,nothing is except maybe the BMW klt1600.The limited dealers and expensive maintenance of a BMW makes it impractical for most.I guess Honda can charge whatever they want since they don't really have any competition. The v-twins are not even an option for me.After being used to a v-max, I want more performance than a v-twin can offer.

Latest posts

Back