Hotter than usual

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Kooper

Reaction score
Hi all, this may seem like a noob question. Because it is... my engine is running hotter than usual. No idea what it could be. Water level is OK. Radiator is clear and fan kicks in. City traffic makes it great up, cools again on the open road. Oil indicator is on when I start the bike, but never comes on during a ride. Is there a way I can check oil level to make sure indicator light is working OK?

Can we assume that you are basing 'hotter' on the water temperature indicator as you also mention the oil level light as well.
Can we also assume that the bike has corrosion inhibitor which has been changed every couple of years?
You say the rad is clear; is this on the outside?

It may be due to the high ambient temperatures that you have been experiencing lately. Do things go back to 'normal' if you run the bike in the evening or early morning?

If the latter then I wouldn't worry.
If the temp indicator is higher up the scale then first check the calibration, Section 7-49 of the Service Manual tells how to check the sender & page 9-12 of Haynes for the temp indicator.
Other items to check would connection to the indicator and to its earth.

It could be the thermostat isn't opening sufficiently and this can be checked by placing in hot water and heat when it should start to open between 80 - 84C an be fully open at 85C.

Next possibility is that the radiator is clogged internally. This is more likely if coolant inhibitor hasn't been used or not changed regularly.
Remove the stone screen and start the motor from cold. Keep feeling around the core for areas that are cooler than others which would indicate that some of the tubes are restricted or blocked.
If blocked reverse flushing may help.

If the above checks out the I doubt you have a problem.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
I would post a picture of your temp gauge, just to find out if it's normal or not.

Oil level should be filled according to the Owners Manual.
attachment.php

As far as temps go, I lived in North Carolina for years and in 100-105 F temps my Vmax would get almost to the red zone when I was stuck in traffic.
I installed the manual fan over ride switch and after that I just turned the fan on when stuck in traffic.
That kept my temps at the half way point.

Attachments

• Oil-Level-Vmax.jpg
    Oil-Level-Vmax.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 48
1. Drain oil and remove filter.
2. Replace filter.
3. Add 4 quarts oil.
4. Screw dipstick back in.

Repeat every 2000 to 3000 miles.

It's that simple. I've been doing it that way for 33 years with no problems.
Riding like an idiot has ruined more engines than being a few ounces off on the oil.

Hi all, this may seem like a noob question. Because it is... my engine is running hotter than usual. No idea what it could be. Water level is OK. Radiator is clear and fan kicks in. City traffic makes it great up, cools again on the open road. Oil indicator is on when I start the bike, but never comes on during a ride. Is there a way I can check oil level to make sure indicator light is working OK?

You might be running too much oil. That could keep the light out. Usually, under hard acceleration, a Gen 1 will trip the oil light. What is the temp. gauge reading when at the hottest? Above the upper line , or?

Latest posts

Back