Fuel tank not venting...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sims1957

Reaction score
My Vmax (2005) keeps stalling about 7 miles after a fill up. I might be overfilling the tank, and plugging the fuel tank vent line. I disconnected the vent tube, and could barely blow through it. Is the gas cap supposed to also be venting? After I stopped (it's happened twice now) and took off the cap, the bike ran fine. I didn't hear any big suction noises or hissing as I removed the cap. Should I not fill it up all the way to the neck where the cap locks? Disassemble the gas cap? Ideas?

If you have a full fuel tank, it won't take much fuel use to cause a vacuum lock keeping the pump from working. You might not even hear anything removing the cap, as it wont take much volume of outside air to equalize pressure. The tank vent is tiny, and may be blocked. Try putting less fuel in it, see if the problem occurs at more than 7 miles. Gas caps can be taken apart. The cap in my Roadstar took itself apart on a ride this year. There are a couple rubber plugs inside the Roadstar cap which blocked off venting. (Thank the EPA for plugging the vents!). I took them out of the Roadies cap and it never vacuum locked again. Vmax cap may also have these plugs inside. I never took mine apart..

Latest posts

Back