What is the best way to winterize the V-max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh .... what kind of trouble am I gonna be in? November was cold, December was freezing, and January was brutal ( -30 C ) .... February is back to OK ( -10 C ) .... I put the stabil in it, changed the oil, etc .... It is not warm enough yet to cauze the sweating ... Maybe I need to build a heated garage for the Northern Canada Winters?

Oh my gosh .... what kind of trouble am I gonna be in? November was cold, December was freezing, and January was brutal ( -30 C ) .... February is back to OK ( -10 C ) .... I put the stabil in it, changed the oil, etc .... It is not warm enough yet to cauze the sweating ... Maybe I need to build a heated garage for the Northern Canada Winters?

You should be ok, I've left several of my bikes out in the winter with no ill effects. where I live you'll get as low as -60's f.

The main thing is when the bikes stayed outside was the fuel stabilizer, and making sure the coolant was good to subarctic temps. I would bring the battery in too cause I didn't want it to freeze and crack.

Actually it'd have to get damn cold to freeze a battery...

In a partially discharged state, the electrolyte in a lead acid battery may freeze. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0?F. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0?F.

I keep mine on a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. to keep it topped up.

A lot of people will actually spray their bikes with a thin coat of WD-40 and let it sit over the winter. I leave mine inside in a heated basement so I don't but many have with good results. DO NOT spray around the brakes.

Chris

i leave my battery in, in a semi-heated garage (the basement of a house, but no heating specifically for the garage). i also leave it plugged into my tender so its always 'charged'.

Couple of additional points, if bike is on centrestand use an old car jack and get the front wheel of the ground as well, tyre in contact with ground tends to deteriate, plus you can give wheel a spin occasionaly.
Also if you have "ACF 50" spray steel and electrics, not discs! this is what they use to store aircraft with and is excellent.

On my 05 I run the bike once or twice a week until early December,(I am in Michigan), then I top off the tank with Stabil, following the directions, run the fuel thru the Max per the instructions, wax the bike when I first put it up, put plastic bags over the exhaust, drain the carbs, hook up the Battery Tender Junior to my PC 680, cover the bike with a cotton bed sheet and put on the center stand with a heavy rubber matt completely under the bike.

Doing this I have never had a problem. I begin running the bike in early March.

The Max is in my unheated garage.

O

Ok, here's my winterizing routine;

put in some seafoam and fill the tank with gas
Go for a ride to heated storage to warm it up
change oil & filter
change coolant (every other year)
change rear diff oil
change clutch & brake line fluid (every other year)
remove battery and put on it on the tender
drain carbs (fill them back up a week or two b/4 starting bike)
wash, clean and wax bike
put a vinyl conditioner on seat
lift bike on stand and put bike cover on

Go visit it every so often over the winter to do some mods on it.

That's pretty much it.

Mike
Why would you replace clutch and brake fluid every other year? Thats a sealed system and shouldnt get dirty.You dont do it on a car.

Why would you replace clutch and brake fluid every other year? Thats a sealed system and shouldnt get dirty.You dont do it on a car.

It does get dirty. Just check the sight glass. Let it go much longer and slave will start to go and you'll eventually need to rebuild it.

I change fork oil every 2 years as well.

So far every year ive done the same thing since 1994. Put fuel stabilizer in, the one i use has octane booster in it, fill up tank with fresh fuel, give it a short but spirited ride to get it through all fuel system, put on center stand, give good cleaning,put on 2 amp trickle charge, i have a battery tender on bike so no removal needed, shuts off when fully charged, cover with good bike cover and call it good. It is in a garage. I usually do maintainance in spring.

This is my first winter with my Max. I'm in IL where it's down to 5 F now and am sure negative temps are in the near future. It stays in my attached, non-heated garage. I am debating on what to do for winter storage as the last thing I want this spring is to have issues, especially with the carbs.

I would appreciate anyone's input as I have no clue what to do, I'm just an accountant.

I was debating between the following and this sticky has only further increased my debate:
1. Drain the gas tank and run the bike until she dies so I know the carbs are dry. Put battery on tender.
2. Drain the gas tank and run the bike until she dies so I know the carbs are dry. Fill tank with stabilized gas. Put battery on tender.
3. Drain the gas tank and run the bike until she misfires so I know the carbs are mostly dry but not dry enough to crack seals. Put battery on tender.
4. Drain the gas tank and run the bike until she misfires so I know the carbs are mostly dry but not dry enough to crack seals. Fill tank with stabilized gas. Put battery on tender.
5. Fill the tank with appropriate amount of fuel and stabil and turn key every week so carb bowls stay full. Put battery on tender.

Hi, I do #5 and never had an issue. I have a Odyssey gel battery and don't bother with a tender on that. I leave it in place on the bike. #1 will also work. I wouldn't bother with 2-4. For #1 it wouldn't hurt to open float bowl drain screws to ensure they are empty.

I test the anti-freeze & add stabilizer in the tank then run it into the carbs. I remove the skins from mine so I can do my little projects and not ding stuff up. If I'm not going to run her during a long spell I like clean oil in the crankcase & new filters. That way I'm ready to go in spring. Dirty oil is corrosive. Old habits from winterizing boats.

Hi, I do #5 and never had an issue. I have a Odyssey gel battery and don't bother with a tender on that. I leave it in place on the bike. #1 will also work. I wouldn't bother with 2-4. For #1 it wouldn't hurt to open float bowl drain screws to ensure they are empty.

Number 5 for me but I use seafoam and shorai batteries with chargers switch to storage on both bikes .

Sorry for the late response. My dumba$$ forgot to hit the subscribe button. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it fellas!

5. Fill the tank with appropriate amount of fuel and stabil and turn key every week so carb bowls stay full. Put battery on tender.
I do this.
I also start it up every few weeks and let it get up to operating temperature.

The BEST way to winterize your bike:
76a2e9c5183edf01f3f1dce8196d5bc8.jpg
09ab1b75a294934ba113c2665dbfde81.jpg
motobabe-wallpaper-13-october-05.jpg

Or, move to south Florida.
SCVIEW133019.jpg

Latest posts

Back