OEM Versus Aftermarket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbx1260cc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new to me 1986 V-Max.

Bike came with aftermarket mirrors mounted but the OEM ones in a box (although badly scratched up).

I bought what was described as a NOS OEM mirror (even came in an official Yamaha box).

When received this "new" one I wanted to polish it and happened to have the "old" mirrors sitting next to the "new" mirror on a soft towel.

I noticed on the back side of the "old" mirror(s) that there was engraved the words "YAMAHA" yet no such engraving on the "new" NOS mirror.

Did I get scammed?

Or did Yamaha change the design to delete the "Yamaha" script on the back side of the mirror?

I want to find a Matching set of mirrors that have the "Yamaha" on the back side.

Can someone provide a part number or nicely used but not abused set with the engraving?

Thank you

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm just down the road from you in Cumming GA. I replaved my stock mirrors with bar-end mirrors and I really like them. I think they actually help my view of the road ahead. My stock mirror did not have Yamaha on them (at least I don't think they did).

Doug

There are some aftermarket mirrors that have the Yamaha cast into them but are direct replacements for the stock (which should feel heavier when compared to them as well).

Latest posts

Back