November Mod Monkey of the Month Contest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting ready for a big drag meet start of December, and I had a bit of extra time up my sleeve, so I've added afew bits to the '87 to get it ready.

A home-made 4-1 exhaust with merge collector and shortened Yoshi can (2.1/4" modded thru).
I have to ride there, and get home when it's dark, so added a 7.5" chrome headlight off a '70s Hoggley Doggley.
I nearly fell off the back the 1st time I tried to launch the thing (and damn near put my back out :biglaugh:), so added billet aluminium clip-ons using home-made reducers to fit the forks. I didn't like the angle, so cut up some gold Tag bars and used them in the clip-ons to get the angle right.\
I can't change gears for crap, so added a MPS sportsbike quickshifter, also modded the shifter for reverse-style GP shift.
Put on a LED shift-light that will blind me so I can't miss it, and set it up so even with my failing reflexes (the mind is willing, but........) I still won't miss a shift in case I'm dreaming of gardening or something equally as stoooopid.
A frame from a National Cycles flyscreen, fitted with a clear screen from a Ducati Monster to hide behind at 120mph at the other end.
Redline Oil in the diff, engine, forks, and Water-wetter in the radiator. In the past that's worth a tenth or two.
Jetted to suit, done at home when you live 200 miles from the nearest shop (or the nearest traffic light for that matter), involving washers, bits of wire, a few drilled holes and checking the lot on a wide-band O2 sensor on the highway........when it was quiet! :punk:

Roll on Dec 3/4, Goldenstates Chamionships! I won't win it, but at least one or two wheelie bar long bikes from interstate are going home before I do!

I reckon the Yammie Radian will probably easily beat that though!

Attachments

• vmax exh b.JPG
    vmax exh b.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 30
  • vmax exh c.JPG
    vmax exh c.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
  • yoshi3.JPG
    yoshi3.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 28
  • yoshi4.JPG
    yoshi4.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 40
The theme of my entry is Strafer, not only a tribute to WW II Pilots and Airmen but a theme that applies to the VMax too. This is also November, we've celebrated Veterans Day this month, a very fitting month for this entry..

Strafer Defined: strafer n : a combat pilot who strafes the enemy... Strafing is the practice of attacking ground targets from low-flying aircraft. The term is usually applied to attacks with aircraft-mounted automatic weapons, but may be applied to attacks with bombs, though not high-level bomb delivery.....

Ever since I started learning about the VMax in 1985, I pictured it as an attack bike. One who's targets are other motorcycles. For years it generally came out the winner in any straight line race unless the rider was very inexperienced. All other bikes fell pray to it's power and many still do. The legend still lives on today as I see many Crotch Rocketeers flying up behind me. When they get close enough to see that it's a VMax that they're chasing, they generally pull in behind. There are a few exceptions, some can be shown the error of their ways. :biglaugh:

My bike started life as a 1994 VMax. When I bought it a little over 4 years ago it had 14.989 miles on the odometer. I fought to get all the normal things to 100%, for a bike that's obviously been sitting more than it's been ridden. One of the first things I did was to install an Odyssey battery. I upgraded the Rectifier / Regulator to the latest version when it shorted out. Other items were basically to bring the normal maintenance up to current.

Other mods that have been added:
SpitFire Windshield
Automotive Horn
Rear Triple Light System
Engine Guards W/Foot Pegs
Fabricated Sissy Bar
Various Sissy Bar Bags
Spin On Oil Filter Adapter
Handle Bar Mounted Oil Pressure Gauge
K&N Air Filter
COO and Kawi, Combined O-Ring Fix
Front Forks Rebuilt with Race Tech Springs, Gold Emulators, BG Fluid. Lowered internally 1" (Credit to Sean Morley)
Marks 4-2 with 2" Cores.
Fan Switch and Indicator Light
My Own Design Adjustable Clutch Lever
Strafer Graphics Artwork, Vinyl Wrap

I'm projecting future mods of frame braces and shields to redirect hot air from the engine off of me. Probably a more radical set of scoops. Right now, I'm splitting limited finances and time between 3 bikes, 2 trucks and a boat.

I came up with the Theme for the bike from the Bell Strafer Helmet. I wanted an inexpensive and light full face helmet. My Icon is really heavy. I knew the second
that I saw this helmet, it was the one for me. See the 1st Picture

I learned that the person doing graphics at the local Yami Shop was pretty famous for the original artwork he once did for major helmet makers. Bryan List was doing graphics under the name 1 Image. We talked about laying Vinyl Wrap on my Top Cover and Fenders. The side panels were left as is because they look to be a Satin Aluminum Finish that fit the theme of a WW II Aircraft. We worked for over a week making up artwork as we went along. My real Claim to fame is the "Tail Art". I drew
her on my computer to closely match the nose art we'd placed on the top cover... See the 2nd picture.

3rd, 4th and 5th pictures are the actual final artwork we came up with for the front fender, top cover and the rear fender.

The 6th, 7th and 8th pictures show the type of aircraft that Strafer was modeled after, armed with machine guns and capable of carrying a healthy payload of bombs too.. Panchita is a B-25J. The last production model of the B-25, often called a cross between the B-25C and the B-25H. It had a transparent nose, but many of the delivered aircraft were modified to have a solid nose. Most of its 14–18 machine guns were forward-facing for strafing missions.

Picture 9: Strafer and Yours Truly at a Military Supplier, Highway 41 Bradenton, Fl. I'm a little windblown, We stopped there for a break after an extended 130-140 MPH Run. I finally pulled away from that Damn Sportster and stayed there.

Picture 10: At the Blackthorne Memorial. A Coast Guard Cutter that sank Jan of 1980 near the Skyway Bridge, St. Petersburg, Fl..

Update:
Picture 11: I found this picture On-Line of Panchita in flight at the Stuart Air Show in Florida, Nov. 13-14 2010.

Thank You for considering My Bike, Strafer for the November Contest...

Attachments

• Arrow Strafer Helmet.jpg
    Arrow Strafer Helmet.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 23
  • Strafer Tail Art..jpg
    Strafer Tail Art..jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Strafer front fender Art.jpg
    Strafer front fender Art.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Strafer Art 1.jpg
    Strafer Art 1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Strafer rear fender Artl.jpg
    Strafer rear fender Artl.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 20
  • VMF Strafer 1.jpg
    VMF Strafer 1.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 27
  • VMF Strafer 2.jpg
    VMF Strafer 2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 27
  • VMF Strafer 3.jpg
    VMF Strafer 3.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Wind Blown Me at a Military Supplier HWY 41 Bradenton.jpg
    Wind Blown Me at a Military Supplier HWY 41 Bradenton.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Strafer at the Blackthorne Memorial Skyway Bridge.jpg
    Strafer at the Blackthorne Memorial Skyway Bridge.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 38
  • Panchito Stuart Air Show Nov 2010.jpg
    Panchito Stuart Air Show Nov 2010.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The judging has been completed, a decision has been reached, and the winner of the November Mod Monkey of the Month award is.................................................................................. MAXCRUISER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very well done job on the Radian. We took into account the originality AND the fact that you saw the bonus of including Vmax parts on your creation. The MMRB is pleased with your efforts and your reward is a waterpump mounted oil pressure gauge from Cycle One Off.

Well hell, that's great! Honestly didn't think "Sister Max" would win, but than again you can't win if you don't try.

Thanks to the Mod Monkey, the review board and to Tom at Cycle One Off for donating one of his products to the contest.

Mike

Congrats Mike, your wifes bike is cool,hope shes enjoying it!

maxcruiser: Congratulations to You and your Wife... Sincerely, very nice bike.

So, is there a good looser award, I'm becoming a regular at this?????
No, forget I even thought that.:rofl_200:I don't even want to go there...

Last edited:
maxcruiser: Congratulations to You and your Wife... Sincerely, very nice bike.

So, is there a good looser award, I'm becoming a regular at this?????
No, forget I even thought that.:rofl_200:I don't even want to go there...

Specops13,

Trust me it was a tough decision! We have a hard time every month to judge the fine bikes that are presented for our consideration. Your Max has, for the last couple of months, been high on the list for sure (the paint job is incredible!) but it just seems that there is that one that is just a shade "better" (we hate to use that word because all of these bikes are great and really it is their owners opinion that matters the most). Please keep the entries coming:eusa_dance:

Sorrry, I think I'll give it a rest. Kinda hard to do a Christmas Theme with a War Bird.:sad2:

Last edited:
Sorrry, I think I'll give it a rest. Kinda hard to do a Christmas Theme with a War Bird.:sad2:
Not true Dave! Your bike is a fitting tribute to those that served and sacrificed everything they had so we could be a free nation. If not for our military, we might not have been able to celebrate Christmas.

Latest posts

Back