What are they talking about?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankumuch

Reaction score
So I looked at oil fill capacities in the shop manual and now I'm confused... See the attached shop manual image. Oil change with filter = 4 quarts. Total amount = 5 quarts. Where is the extra quart coming from? So I just did my oil change and put 4 quarts in. Now I'm seeing people say 3.5 is the correct amount. Somebody explain it to me... please.

The correct amount is whatever it takes to get to the halfway mark on the sight glass with the bike standing up or on the centerstand.

This is typically around 3 quarts since you can't ever get it all drained out with just an oil change.

The correct amount is whatever it takes to get to the halfway mark on the sight glass with the bike standing up or on the centerstand.

This all i'v ever done on any vehicle, full is full

Now, if someone could explain to me what one these 'quart' things are....quarter of a pint maybe? :ummm: :biglaugh:

I get reading the sight glass, but, I followed the owner's manual directions which stated 4.02 Q. Why is there so much freaking confusion published on this? Should I be draining out some oil now or risk causing a frothing issue?

1 us qt = 1.67 uk pnt.

Our oil stateside is bottled in qts. When I put the new oil in I just slowly added it while watching the sight glass until it got to half. Then I fired it up for maybe 15 seconds to allow the filter to fill, shut it off, then I added a bit more still watching the sight glass and when halfway again I was done. It was just over 3 us qts.

I've been dumping 4 quarts in (with a filter change) since 1985. Never had a problem. Never had to add any oil between changes, either.

OK, per Bill's comment, I'll leave the 4 quarts in there and not worry about it. Just seems crazy to have everything from 3.5 to 5 quarts published as the correct amount with a filter change. Thank you.

I get reading the sight glass, but, I followed the owner's manual directions which stated 4.02 Q. Why is there so much freaking confusion published on this? Should I be draining out some oil now or risk causing a frothing issue?

If you cracked the casing and de-greased everything you'd likely get exactly what the manual says in there. But since theres always some oil left in the engine just go by the sight glass.

As said above, put some in, run the engine up, switch off and check again.
While you are there watch the sight glass as you start the bike and make sure the oil level drops as the bike starts

Another suggestion is dont be impatient with waiting for whats in there at the first start to drain down. Cold oil needs a little time to flow.
Some vehicles are worse than others.

Drain the old stuff hot then after filling it go make a coffee. Its a good excuse anyway.
Then check the level. Its only a little thing but can save over filling and draining off good oil.

Filling over the half way point isn't needed and does cause some windage issues and can cause it to get excessive oil into the airbox as well.

I just leave the drain plug out, start filling the crankcase, and when it runs-onto my riding sandals, I know it's time to install the oil plug.

Thru my entire experience of owning 3 different Vmaxes, it seems to be always an issue of how much oil to put in. We all know on hard acceleration, oil will slosh to the back of the motor, the sending unit is in front, (crap design) thus, oil lite on. My rule of thumb, and never ever has been a problem, fill the oil to the top of the site glass, run the bike to temp, let sit till cold, I mean cold, like to the next day! On the center stand to level it out, add oil to the top of the site glass, done. No oil lite during a hard pull, there is enough oil in it (unless your burning it) and enough space to control pressure variances unless your oil breather tube chamber is jacked up, like leaking which is a typical problem.. My thoughts, works for me and has been for yrs.

Latest posts

Back