Numbing fingers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Hi gents:

Just wondering what works best for this problem ? I was told at one time that filling the inside of the handlebars with expansion foam will decrease the vibration....(not so sure this will work).

The clamps which hold the bars seem very tight, I was thinking of rubber strip around the bars ? I know that gripping to tight will only make your fingers more numb... I don't hold on too tight and I hold on with my knees more than anything.
Do you think this vibration is from the engine or from the road, coming up through the tires and suspension. I know that solid mounts make the vibes intense. The mounts are in good shape and are stock.
Dunlop tires, 10lbs in front, rear set on 1.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the posts, I got some good sand today before there is too much snow on the ground. I'm going to the bike show in a couple of weeks so I'll have to look for grips.

Rob

Last edited:
Use a torque wrench to remove them, filling the bar with expansion foam is a good idea but hard to fill the entire bar without having air pockets in the bending areas.
I prefer using fine sand and plugging both ends of the bar 1.5 inch from edge using plastic bar ends after pouring in the sand.
this will effectively eliminate vibration. I also suggest a pair of decent bar ends instead of the chromed plastic ones stock offers but sand alone is enough to reduce vibration.

also some thing that really helps the numbing of the hand is to experiment with various angles while clamps are a little loose, you will find a position that is the most comfortable for you.

I think I posted details on how to fill the bar with sand but if you can't find it I can privet message it to you.

Robbarrie said:
Hi gents:

Just wondering what works best for this problem ? I have was told at one time that filling the inside of the handlebars with expansion foam will decrease the vibration....(not so sure this will work).

The clamps which hold the bars seem very tight, I was thinking of rubber strip around the bars ?

Rob

The stock grips are crap, take a look at Kuryakyn grips. Also, check carb mixture and sync. If lean or out-of-sync, it'll vibrate a bit more.

Robbarrie said:
Hi gents:

Just wondering what works best for this problem ? I was told at one time that filling the inside of the handlebars with expansion foam will decrease the vibration....(not so sure this will work).

The clamps which hold the bars seem very tight, I was thinking of rubber strip around the bars ? I know that gripping to tight will only make your fingers more numb... I don't hold on too tight and I hold on with my knees more than anything.
Do you think this vibration is from the engine or from the road, coming up through the tires and suspension. I know that solid mounts make the vibes intense. The mounts are in good shape and are stock.
Dunlop tires, 10lbs in front, rear set on 1.

Rob

I used to have the same problem with the throttle hand falling asleep. Even went so far as to install a second throttle in front of the right side cover which solved the tingle problem. Since my hands are big, I decided to install a set of Pro Grips meant for a 1" bar over the standard grips and no more cutting off of the circulation. Worked for me and was a cheap fix. Still like to ride on occasion with my right hand hanging down by my side just for the novelty of it.

Attachments

• ProGrip.jpg
    ProGrip.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
My fingers used to go numb after 40-50 miles of riding. Solid motor mounts made it even worse. A pair of decent gloves and a cramp buster to ease up on the white knuckle throttle grip did wonders to relieve this. It takes a very conscious (sp?) effort to use no more grip strength than needed.

After I went to Kuryakyn grips it will never be an issue again, I know every cruiser in the 'effin' world has these grips but they truly work wonders to ease/eliminate vibration, something the Wal-mart paint shaker V-twin set surely need........

They are also VERY well made and underpriced if anything. Look around and you can find them as low as $60....just don't get the stupid iron cross end caps.. :)

Also consider different bar for a more comfortable wrists position, I tried 5 different bars before finally settling on one, the ducati monster bar which is also very similar to what Sean sells ( super bike bar) they have less pull back which seems to put the wrist in a better position and enhance your control on the bike, they have the pull back a drag bar has plus a 1.5 - 2 inch rise which eliminates the need for risers.
I also cut the bar from both ends to 27 cm ( same as stock width), I find wider bars make the bike less stable at high speed.

I believe handle bar changing is one of the most significant cheap mods that will improve your control over the bike instantly, turning in tight slow turns gets easier, high speed directional stability is also enhanced just by the minute change in you wrists/elbows and shoulder position.

Remember mass produced bikes are made to fit all sizes of riders, fine tuning the bike to your body dimension can enhance your riding skills on max giving you the most fun riding YOUR max.

sorry to go off topic here guys but i have a silly question. The pic that mikemax uploaded of his grips shows the fuel reserve turned on right? The way yamaha made it confuses me a little. Thanks:eusa_dance:

On is main Res is reserve.

turbostang said:
No, that pic is with the fuel turned on, when the switch is on the reserve side id when the reserve is turned on

clintard said:
wow do i feel like a dumbass ive been riding this whole time running my reserve!!
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When I first bought it, it was damn confusing to me and many maxers have this problem with that switch arrangement. I was always used to switch over manually when going to reserve, none of this electric solenoid stuff. I guess reading the owner's manual would have clarified things but who has time to read when your steed is waiting?

clintard said:
wow do i feel like a dumbass ive been riding this whole time running my reserve!!

Don't feel bad, I rode mine like that for years! I always thought to the right meant the reserve is on (hence res. on). Luckily it doesn't make a difference with the VMax as it doesn't have the 2 tube set up for reserve like other bikes do.

Haven't had that happen to me, but remember having trouble figuring out how to fill the gas tank. I was test riding my current vmax for a couple of days and had to call the dealership. :)

I never had issue with the reserve switch or knowing where the fuel filler is. However, I have the older corbin seat and well. I feel kinda dirty when I go to pull the fuel cap and the looks I get at first from those filling up around me don't help.:rofl_200:

OK dudes, I filled my handlebars with sand. However, I put two rubber washers (where the bolts go through the top of the tree ) under the risers. I like your guys opinions about the rubber washers. I haven't rode it without the washers but with the washers - there is a difference but I can still feel the vibes but not as nearly as bad. Do you think it maybe better without the washers ? I was thinking about the issue with solid motor mounts. How it changes the feel of the bike. I guess I could just take them out and try it - but sorry I'm being lazy. If the replies lead towards - taking them out, then I will try it, then let you guys know.

Yes, they are stock grips, I'm looking for some slipover foam or gel grips to help. For those who's hands never go numb, sleep on your arm/hands under your back and when you wake up with your hands numb to the bone, try to imagine riding your bike like that. I can tell ya first hand (un pun) it sucks !

Robbarrie,
Have you had problems with carpel tunnel?
You might want to check into that if your hands are getting that numb. You don't get carpel tunnel just from typing, you get it from any long term repetitive work where your wrists are in the same position a lot.
I'm starting to have problems with carpel and I know there is an outpatient surgery for it now. Talked to a couple of people who said the surgery really helped. So I'm considering it.

I have gel grips on mine that help.They are for motorcross.It can also be from holding on too tight.

I know I do suffer from a little CT. My wife has had several surgeries on her wrists. She actually had to get out of hairdressing because of them.

I try to sleep with my wrists straight and not folded over...in the past I've woke up in the middle of the night with my hands totally buzzing because if this.

What size are those grips that slip over. 1 " ya think. I know I want some of these. I do think I hold on a little too tight at times, thats usually only when I'm cranking it thou.

Thanks for the advice - but you guys never gave your thoughts on the rubber washers.....I don't care if it's right or wrong, they're might not be any difference that is noticeable anyways. I was just asking for some feedback. :confused2:

My bike never had the stock grips when I got it.I would remove them and start over with some good gell grips.I also liked the foam superbike grips but the do not hold up real good.Maybe 2 years.I do not see a problem with rubber washers under the bar mounts.They have a cotterpin through the nut ,don't they?

Something I did to relieve this was to purchase Throttlemeister bar ends... http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/accessories/throttlemeister.htm

These are a throttle "lock" but do not actually lock the throttle and instead put friction against the end to hold the throttle open. It gives you a chance to remove your right hand from the bar and relax it. I bought the short black ones for the max and have a set of regular long ones for my SV. They are also heavy which helps reduce the vibes...

They work great and are well worth the dosh...

Latest posts

Back