Hypothetical Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Something to ponder.
While riding in NJ last weekend, I noticed I was in 5th gear, and using about 5% of throttle, (if you broke up the full range of throttle by into 20 equal segments, minus the idle position), and I was doing about 55 MPH..

Realizing how much more throttle I could twist out of it, I wondered something,,
how fast the V-Max could get up too "if" you surrounded the rider and bike with a slipstream housing, to reduce wind resistance, like they do with when trying to break land speed records.

From Wikipedia: John Howard, Olympic cyclist and Ironman triathlon winner, reset the record to 244 km/h (152 mph)

152 MPH on a modified pedal bike?? Some people have a hard time reaching that on their stock maxer.. Best I've EVER done, and that was for only 3-4 seconds, was 145. (at least that's what the GPS and Speedo said..)

I'm sure it would be scary as hell, but I just wondered.

On here previously, I've posted pics of bicycles w/huge crank gears and tiny rear axle gears, running behind a 'pace car' sporting a huge windbreak, behind-which the bicycle travels at triple-digit speeds.

I believe that drag increases as the square of speed.

The Citroen DS-19 from the early 1950's is a good example of low aero drag allowing outstanding speed & mileage, and w/only a modest power output.

Since our bikes have poor aerodynamics, being able to reach the factory speed rating of 149 mph is something the average rider may not be able to do, unless they happen to be smaller than average, and willing to 'cheat the wind' by presenting as-small a frontal cross-section as-possible. Also, running-out the last few mph may require a longer space than your driver's license can stand, given the reckless driving charges sure to accrue once you are caught by police, whether by tracking or by radar.

The Porsche 918 hybrid (over $800,000) and the Ferrari LaFerrari hybrid ($1.4 million) are capable of 215+ mph, but how-many owners are going to be able to reach those speeds safely and legally? Obviously, only on a closed course, or during something like the Silver States Classic.

The Rifle Fairing Co. has produced some research into breaking the wind drag your average motorcycle produces to obtain increased top speed and mileage from a gallon of gas. The Mobil Economy Run saw people doing hyper-miling to obtain amazing results from a car that you would buy, but the parameters under which they operate to obtain such results aren't practical in streets grid-locked by two and four-wheeled vehicles, mixed with pedestrians, bicycles, small trucks and large trucks.

Craig Vetter used to turn-in some great results using his specially-constructed equipment, and a small-displacement motorcycle.

What's a VMax capable of in top speed, given some improvements in aerodynamics? And, what's a VMax capable of, in a specially-constructed chassis, where the 'lay-down' driver is confined to a tiny and uncomfortable space, barely able to see ahead, and subject to dangerously-unstabilizing side wind loads? Probably considerably higher than stock, but that's not a 'stock' bike you or I could ride on the street.

Didn't the 'Wild Bros.' turn over 200 mph on a heavily-modified VMax?

http://landspeedracing.com/2013/newsletter288/Bill_Warner_Bio___Profile.pdf

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/bill-warner-mad-scientist

This is close to what I have been wondering. Yes, a longer fifth gear can be installed, and I recollect that the venture rear gear is longer as well. I presume someone on here (Sean?) has ran these two fearing changes and might have solid knowledge of what the v-max can do without anything other than the fly-screen. Myself, when I grudge raced my first v-max, I ran 1140's and 119 mph, but shifted into fifth at the traps and didn't let go until 145 mph. It felt like it had lots left in it gaging by my acceleration. So, anyone have experience with the v-max top speed with only gearing as described?

On here previously, I've posted pics of bicycles w/huge crank gears and tiny rear axle gears, running behind a 'pace car' sporting a huge windbreak, behind-which the bicycle travels at triple-digit speeds.

I believe that drag increases as the square of speed.

The Citroen DS-19 from the early 1950's is a good example of low aero drag allowing outstanding speed & mileage, and w/only a modest power output.

Since our bikes have poor aerodynamics, being able to reach the factory speed rating of 149 mph is something the average rider may not be able to do, unless they happen to be smaller than average, and willing to 'cheat the wind' by presenting as-small a frontal cross-section as-possible. Also, running-out the last few mph may require a longer space than your driver's license can stand, given the reckless driving charges sure to accrue once you are caught by police, whether by tracking or by radar.

The Porsche 918 hybrid (over $800,000) and the Ferrari LaFerrari hybrid ($1.4 million) are capable of 215+ mph, but how-many owners are going to be able to reach those speeds safely and legally? Obviously, only on a closed course, or during something like the Silver States Classic.

The Rifle Fairing Co. has produced some research into breaking the wind drag your average motorcycle produces to obtain increased top speed and mileage from a gallon of gas. The Mobil Economy Run saw people doing hyper-miling to obtain amazing results from a car that you would buy, but the parameters under which they operate to obtain such results aren't practical in streets grid-locked by two and four-wheeled vehicles, mixed with pedestrians, bicycles, small trucks and large trucks.

Craig Vetter used to turn-in some great results using his specially-constructed equipment, and a small-displacement motorcycle.

What's a VMax capable of in top speed, given some improvements in aerodynamics? And, what's a VMax capable of, in a specially-constructed chassis, where the 'lay-down' driver is confined to a tiny and uncomfortable space, barely able to see ahead, and subject to dangerously-unstabilizing side wind loads? Probably considerably higher than stock, but that's not a 'stock' bike you or I could ride on the street.

Didn't the 'Wild Bros.' turn over 200 mph on a heavily-modified VMax?

http://landspeedracing.com/2013/newsletter288/Bill_Warner_Bio___Profile.pdf

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/bill-warner-mad-scientist

It does, but for a given drag coefficient, the horsepower required increases with the cube of the speed. Going faster is much easier by changing the drag than adding horsepower.

Back