Changed the spark plugs in my f150

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry barker

Reaction score
I am sure glad plugs these days last a long time. 130,000 miles on this set. The gap was .074 on the old plugs .054 is spec. I have an 06 with the 4.6 liter, while it's not the hardest job i have ever done, it is very involved. Makes working on the Vmax seem easy. I finally bought a neat magnetic 5/8 spark plug socket just for this repair, this should be the cat's meow, so i thought. It was for extracting the plugs, putting them back in, not at all. The socket keep getting stuck in the head. Dang!!! Glad i started with one of the front plugs just to see what might go wrong. I ended up using a 3 prong retractor to drop them in.
One of the hardest parts was getting the debris out from around the intake and valve cover. It took a combination of compressed air and vacuum cleaner. I had a piece of hose that would fit into the plug port and i was able to vacuum the port before and after i removed the plug. Took me over 3 hours to complete the plug change.
The ford dealer replaced the original plugs, guess the mechanic got side tracked on the passenger side, he didn't tighten the back three plugs! Really? I am talking loose! They also charged me almost $400 for the job.
This even makes changing the plugs on a 440 mopar seem pretty easy. Have a great day.

That's horrible. I can feel your frustration. I don't know if it's Fords or all vehicles today. My friends F250 diesel need engine work. They had to pull the entire front end off the truck to get to the motor.

Definitely feel your pain! My wife's 2012 Honda Pilot (the bigger SUV) V6 has 86k miles and needs a timing belt tensioner. I took it to the dealer because there was a non-related recall and I had them diagnose it. I didn't have any intention having them fix it because I knew they would be exspensive. I went to pick it up and they said they do a "timing belt package" because of how much labor is involved. It includes timing belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley, waterpump, cam and crankshaft seals. So the total, ready...... $1080! I made a few calls to shops around here and I got quotes between $800-$900. Those are with non genuine Honda parts also.

Changing the Plugs on my 2005 Mustang GT was a 2 day job. If you know the 5th generation Mustang engine you know why. It was at 50,000 miles. Dealers wanted $1200.00 and $2000.00 to do the job because there's such a big chance of breaking the 2 piece plugs in the head. That would have sent pieces into the chambers and the engine would have had to come apart. Let my Cousin know how I had done it, he has an 06 that's right at 50,000 miles too. Both of us got the work done without incident. Really lucky. Recommendations are to let the plugs stay in and not even try at about 70.000 miles. Hardest plug change either of us has done in a combined 110 years.

Twin big block V8's in a 29 foot Tiara was my best education in plug changes. Working for a dealer, I changed a ton them. On the outboard, port side you can't even see the plugs. A piece of rubber hose over the plug porcelain is the way to go. It wobbles them in every time. I do this on everything now, and a piece of 1/2" hose is part of my tool collection. For breaking them loose, or tightening plugs, I like the socket that comes in the OEM tool bag,best. Cleaning around the plug first, +1.
Steve-o

This thread makes me miss cast iron heads and timing chains.:clapping: I Bought my V8 lexus with only 180k on the clock and the PO had just had the belts/pulley/wp done at Toyota for nearly $1600. Unlike the car it replaced (4.6L Marquis) the plugs are not too bad. I dread plugs on the modular engines, I didnt mess with them as long as it was smooth and MPG was normal.

I have a 1992 F-150 that just turned 100K with the factory plugs and new set under the seat that has been awaiting installation for over a decade. The truck was my dad's from Ohio and has been in SoCal since 1999. I'm sure the plugs are frozen in the head, but it runs fine....

Makes me appreciate my Dodge all the more. Meat and potatoes 1983 :)

Attachments

• 10888928_1076603149032373_6309908887497600167_n.jpg
    10888928_1076603149032373_6309908887497600167_n.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 16
  • 10931358_1084853668207321_2073306248155759160_n.jpg
    10931358_1084853668207321_2073306248155759160_n.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 10988475_1128769567149064_319228747123358831_n.jpg
    10988475_1128769567149064_319228747123358831_n.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 13
I have a 1992 F-150 that just turned 100K with the factory plugs and new set under the seat that has been awaiting installation for over a decade. The truck was my dad's from Ohio and has been in SoCal since 1999. I'm sure the plugs are frozen in the head, but it runs fine....

When Platinum plugs came to being, boating customers didn't want yearly changes, and rightfully so. But yearly, plugs did get removed and the threads lubed(CRC), then reinstalled. I've seen seized plugs or ones that came out with head threads attached . Not a cheap fix. My Vmax gets plugs yearly and the throttle is crisper after a new set. But, they are still serviceable and good for a long time. Years ago, gas stations used to sandblast plugs, regap and reinstall. I'm not keen on the blast media
possibly getting in my cylinders.

You mean one of these?
ClickHandler.ashx

Something like this used to be on every service station's workbench bolted close to the vise.

When Platinum plugs came to being, boating customers didn't want yearly changes, and rightfully so. But yearly, plugs did get removed and the threads lubed(CRC), then reinstalled. I've seen seized plugs or ones that came out with head threads attached . Not a cheap fix. My Vmax gets plugs yearly and the throttle is crisper after a new set. But, they are still serviceable and good for a long time. Years ago, gas stations used to sandblast plugs, regap and reinstall. I'm not keen on the blast media
possibly getting in my cylinders.

I would say I know how you feel.... But I don't. I have a '71 Dodge, I can do any maintenance from above or below the truck, no problem. It's easy-peasy.

You mean one of these?
ClickHandler.ashx

Something like this used to be on every service station's workbench bolted close to the vise.

My grandpa has one of these in his garage. I've used it a couple of times. Swing by with a handful of br8 plugs fouled by one of my 2 strokes (almost never an issue after a couple hours and some brass, but sometimes I just don't feel like fooling around with it till I foul a plug and have to push my bike across a sand pit). Blast em and blow them out. I always hose them out with some brake or carb cleaner when I get home.
Unfortunately, one day (soon) I will no longer need to drive an hour and a half to clean my plugs. I do not look forward to having it mounted in my shop, although once it arrives, it will be a cherished piece. :sad:

Latest posts

Back