Has anyone actually gotten EFI working well?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Those of you running EFI, have any of you gotten it working well off the bat? Or does it always taken tons of tuning down the road?

Have an opportunity, but so far i've only heard headaches.

Garrett,

It takes a lot of tuning to get it right. If you buy it invest in a good O2 sensor/gauge for sure. Mine is close, but still not quite right and I am going to have to play around a bit at the start of the season to work get it tuned as close to perfect as I need. Someday I will probably purchase the engine management system upgrade from Bill Warner as I believe that it is the best way to keep the bike tuned and running well. Remember that with the base system any change in humidity, elevation, or air pressure and your tune suffers. The base system does have an air temp sensor to correct for changes in temp. It also could use some form of mass air flow sensing capability as well.

The bottom line is do not expect it to be "plug and play" and plan on a fair bit of time, $$$$, and work to get it right.

that was exactly the answer i've been hearing.. thats what concerns me. i don't think the minimal gains for a stock motor are worth what the headache seems, for what? 2-3 hp and maybe a couple ft lbs of torque?

that was exactly the answer i've been hearing.. thats what concerns me. i don't think the minimal gains for a stock motor are worth what the headache seems, for what? 2-3 hp and maybe a couple ft lbs of torque?

With a full exhaust sytem and the EFI you should expect 125-130hp (Buster's bike pulled 130hp and it wasn't dialed in yet) and more torque (Toxic went from 110 ft/lbs to 129 ft/lbs, not sure about Buster's numbers). You do get some good gains from the system, it just takes some work.

garrett that mod monkey is diggin' deep into your back ey lol.

With a full exhaust sytem and the EFI you should expect 125-130hp (Buster's bike pulled 130hp and it wasn't dialed in yet) and more torque (Toxic went from 110 ft/lbs to 129 ft/lbs, not sure about Buster's numbers). You do get some good gains from the system, it just takes some work.

thats my fear. i haven't heard anyone say yet "and it was dialed in right". haha

not sure yet. i'm not convinced. lots of unknowns.

Getting this system "dialed in right" and keeping it there is almost impossible to be honest. You can get it to work very very well, but anytime there is a major change in weather etc. you have to make small changes sometimes to keep the tune up. One nice thing is you can just save MAP's to your laptop and name them based on weather, altitude etc. You dont have to be dead nuts on the perfect A/F ratio to have this system work well, just have to be close.

Garrett's got one of 'em down but fails to see the 'EFI Monkey' sneaking up behind him!! Look out Garrett....LOOK OUT!! :surprise:

Stay tuned to find out how this ends!! :rofl_200:

Attachments

• You cannot deny the monkey!!.jpg
    You cannot deny the monkey!!.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
Dan, looks like from your pic that garretts getting a little grey over all this :rofl_200:

IMO for the money I don't see it as worth the expense and aggravation of it all. It's a cool mod but costly as well. My SV1000S is FI and it's a dream. You just start it let it warm up for a couple of secs and off you go. No enrichment lever to tweak or jets to change. I plugged a PCIIIusb into it and set it on the dyno and it works and works no matter if in the mountains or here on the prairie.

I see the advantage of it, which makes me want the new max that much more... (not going to happen)

Chris

interesting feedback from jim. it was just about what i expected as well.

For those that have it and gotten it to work well, I'm sure it's cool. Jim, that's some crazy torque numbers, man!

But, if FI were something I really thought I wanted, trading bikes seems like a really good investment, comparatively.

I bought Marks, Bird of Prey, bike from him. The EFI project one. I pick it up in a month.

The biggest difference between this project and other EFI is the fuel will be sequential, not batch and there will be no wasted spark.

One of the big advantages that the Haltech unit has over the others as well is a trim unit. Like it was mentioned keeping the A/F dialed in a challenge. This unit actually comes with a small trip knob you can trim your fuel up or down from the base curve depending on your current conditons without having to load a different map. It also has inputs for Air & coolant temps, of course along with the MAP sensor you can use these inputs as well to trim the fuel if needed or advance/retard spark as well. Along with a wide band O2 meter it will self learn.

I am excited to get it and finish.

haha so far all i've heard is 'youre going to have to keep playing with it'. i really dont' want to at this point. maybe in a couple years.

so $200 - $300 to get my needle stuff figured out on a dyno. thats pricey. hey sean how much to fly you out? haha

You don't NEED a dyno to get your bike running right. It just helps get it dialed in closer.

You don't NEED a dyno to get your bike running right. It just helps get it dialed in closer.

agreed. but if i wanna try out 2 different needles it will give me a better idea to visually see the curve. if it was the same price i'd much rather have morley come out and do it.

Jarec Clary came up with the best test and tune for Gen 1 EFI and I have used it on mine. With my Dynojet Wideband Commander A/F gage monunted by my speedo and a Notebook computer mounted on top of my 4 K&N Airfilters, between the scoops, I can monitor the A/F at all rpms and throttle positions and safely pull over to add or subtract fuel as needed. Before, even with the help of a Dyno, I could not get the smooth consistent A/F needed at all the various throttle positions and rpms. Much more accurate than the dyno as you are truly tuning for everyday rideability. Yes, you will need to adjust the map for Winter vs Summer. I have two years with mine and need to remap to some degree every Spring and a tweak for hot Summer heat. Tends to lean out when Hot and needs a little more fuel. rick rash

Latest posts

Back