Tachometer Suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramalama

Reaction score
I've had my Max for a few months now and already the location of the tach bothers me. I'd like to have something up near the speedo but nothing too big. Any suggestions?

Haven't seen a smaller one I really like, but I am running a 6" Pro Cycle one from Autometer that I really like. Tom at Cycle One Off makes custom gauge cluster so you might contact him. He has a new CNC 4 axis milling setup that makes some sick new stuff. Know he is prototyping some things right now that are wicked!

I've had my Max for a few months now and already the location of the tach bothers me. I'd like to have something up near the speedo but nothing too big. Any suggestions?

This has speedo, tachometer, clock, air temperature, water or oil temperature, stop watch, odometer. fits at the location of the stock speedo & has white back light. accurate & water proof.
http://trailtech.net/adventure_vapor_kits.html

This has speedo, tachometer, clock, air temperature, water or oil temperature, stop watch, odometer. fits at the location of the stock speedo & has white back light. accurate & water proof.
http://trailtech.net/adventure_vapor_kits.html

Hi Firefly, are you using one ?
I was thinking about getting the black one, far cheaper than Koso and good reviews as I remember.

Hi Firefly, are you using one ?
I was thinking about getting the black one, far cheaper than Koso and good reviews as I remember.

Yes I have one for ~ 3 years, great product, clean looking & has all the functions one needs. the shift light feature is great you set the min and max RPM, same with engine temperature you can set one to hot & the other to dangerously hot. the speedo is set to the tire circumference so it will be accurate using any size tire. the white back light is elegant too.
they don't have a kit specifically listed for max but I have all parts numbers needed that will fit max. you choose water temperature or oil temperature but not both. the price is reasonable and they sell replacement for the computer, sensors & wires. I love it & don't miss the stock speedo at all.

Attachments

• voltmeter 002.jpg
    voltmeter 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 127
  • vapor at night.jpg
    vapor at night.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 104
  • KTM Mirrors 011.jpg
    KTM Mirrors 011.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 114
Yes I have one for ~ 3 years, great product, clean looking & has all the functions one needs. the shift light feature is great you set the min and max RPM, same with engine temperature you can set one to hot & the other to dangerously hot. the speedo is set to the tire circumference so it will be accurate using any size tire. the white back light is elegant too.
they don't have a kit specifically listed for max but I have all parts numbers needed that will fit max. you choose water temperature or oil temperature but not both. the price is reasonable and they sell replacement for the computer, sensors & wires. I love it & don't miss the stock speedo at all.

I was thinking about hiding the current dashboard or part of it and just use a vapor instead.
Pretty good for the price and looks great even with the extended panel for signals, neutral, fuel light. :punk:
Not sure I can have all lights there, but I don't like to look down :p

I was thinking about hiding the current dashboard or part of it and just use a vapor instead.
Pretty good for the price and looks great even with the extended panel for signals, neutral, fuel light. :punk:
Not sure I can have all lights there, but I don't like to look down :p

I made a nose to cover it, relocated the turn signals & added more room for things like lighter socket or whatever, its easy to see without looking down especially the shift lights & temperature warning.
this way I can relocate any dash light I want using LED license plate stud screws which come in different colors for a manual fan switch led, turn signal Rt & Lt, choke LED indicator, fuel light, neutral and so on. its still a work in progress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...663583&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

Attachments

• max nose 002.jpg
    max nose 002.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 87
  • the nose 012.jpg
    the nose 012.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Copy of max nose 003.jpg
    Copy of max nose 003.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 84
That front is out of a scooter right? I didn't know that speedo. Cute, and it looks pretty. Any issues installing it to run properly? Do they have speedo cable adapter? Thanks mate

Have a look here - I'm sure you will find something to suit.
I have an RX2n - a fair bit of work to fit but I'm pleased with it.

They have some really nice looking gauges and a good selection. The Digi Dark Tach looks like my favorite right now.

Firefly - Was the Vapor hard to install and is it pretty accurate?

That front is out of a scooter right? I didn't know that speedo. Cute, and it looks pretty. Any issues installing it to run properly? Do they have speedo cable adapter? Thanks mate

The speedo has a wire, its electromagnetic & very accurate, you replace one rotor bolt with the one they send you that has a magnet, the speedo sensor is then zip tied or using a double sided adhesive tape (provided) attached to the fork leg, you then input the tire circumference & you're done. the stock speedo cable is removed and find some rubber cap to cover the stock speedo gear outlet ( I used a rubber vaccum cap that fits)
its accurate, visible, water proof & has all the functions one needs.

no speedo cable but magnets as I remember.

As prez will say, you put it at the back, that way you always know ur speed even when doing wheelies lol

Firefly
Thanks for the prompt reply. That would be good if they had a gear adapter like KOSO... That way one could use the stock gear instead of another sensor fixed to the forks with wiring allover. I hate to see wires dangling around. the cleaner it gets the better it looks... But thats my insight only...

Firefly
Thanks for the prompt reply. That would be good if they had a gear adapter like KOSO... That way one could use the stock gear instead of another sensor fixed to the forks with wiring allover. I hate to see wires dangling around. the cleaner it gets the better it looks... But thats my insight only...

Is Koso a mechanical speedo? the wire on the vapor looks clean and is not a problem, I am very please with its craftsmanship, clean & simple look and functionality, personally I wouldn't go back to big bulky round speedometer again.
its an option to consider, I am just giving my feedback on it.

Firefly,

You can go either way with the KOSO RX2N+. Mechanical or electric drive.
Personally, I don't see too much difference between a speedometer cable vs. an electrical wire. Either way, you've got to run something.

I'm in the market for a gauge. Brian has posted a link to the veypor site in another thread and I'm interested. Very affordable compared to other options. I was concerned with durability and mounting options. Looks like you have proved it works and can be installed cleanly. I'd like to see what it looks like from the front without a fairing.....

Thanks for your input on the setup.

View attachment 21931
Firefly,

You can go either way with the KOSO RX2N+. Mechanical or electric drive.
Personally, I don't see too much difference between a speedometer cable vs. an electrical wire. Either way, you've got to run something.

I'm in the market for a gauge. Brian has posted a link to the veypor site in another thread and I'm interested. Very affordable compared to other options. I was concerned with durability and mounting options. Looks like you have proved it works and can be installed cleanly. I'd like to see what it looks like from the front without a fairing.....

Thanks for your input on the setup.

Veypor is a different brand than Vapor just to be clear, I have vapor from trail tech, they sell an aluminum protector which I also bought.

edited: the side veiw photo is without the protector.

Attachments

• Headlight modification 041.jpg
    Headlight modification 041.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Headlight  modification 009.jpg
    Headlight modification 009.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 83
Is Koso a mechanical speedo? the wire on the vapor looks clean and is not a problem, I am very please with its craftsmanship, clean & simple look and functionality, personally I wouldn't go back to big bulky round speedometer again.
its an option to consider, I am just giving my feedback on it.

They use this below. Its a cable tip that converts the spinning action into an electric signal for the speedo.

http://kosoeurope.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=708&imgID=0&XTCsid=51b5df36c52d83f6537d7a7bb607f015

Just wanted to thank Fire for the advice, I went ahead and ordered the Vapor today. I like the clean classic look of the stock setup but after a couple longer rides this year I've decided to put a windshield on the bike so you can't see the speedo anyways, not saying the Vapor is ugly or anything cause it's not I just prefer the classic look of the stock one, but I like everything being right there where I can see it easily too so it was a no brainer for me. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

firefly which model number did you use? I have sent them 2 emails with no responce yet

Latest posts

Back