Miami FL H-D dealer dies H-D was 22 yrs older than he was

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article37140888.html

One would be hard-pressed to find a greater biker icon in South Florida than Phil Peterson, who opened his first Harley-Davidson shop on Duval Street in Key West FL in 1954.

Peterson grew his Harley dealerships to main locations in Cutler Bay FL and Miami Gardens, FL as well as shops that sell Harley clothing and gear at Bayside Marketplace in downtown Miami, Dolphin Mall in West Miami-Dade and the original Key West outlet.

Peterson, born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, on Feb. 24, 1924, died at his Miami home on Sept. 25. He was 91. Shattering stereotypes and supporting charities will be a part of his legacy.

“There are several sides to the biking community,” said John Birk, a biking enthusiast who has written on the subject for cycling magazines. “Most people hear of the Hells Angels, but the average biker who buys a Harley is a college grad who makes $85,000 a year. He always wanted the reputation of bikers to be good.”

Peterson lived by example. “He was well respected in the motorcycle community,” said Birk, a friend since he bought his first Harley from Peterson in 1965. “Anybody who rides a bike . . . knew Phil Peterson.”

Indeed, as Peterson’s family wrote in an obituary sent to the Miami Herald, “Phil was an icon as a Harley dealer in South Florida for the past 60 years. He did not swear and he had no tattoos. He favored a white straw hat when not in his motorcycle helmet.”

His list of philanthropic activities proved long and diverse: The Phil Peterson Key West Poker Run has endured for more than 40 years, and its beneficiaries include the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and the Key West Sunrise Rotary Club. The “motorcycle Mardi Gras,” as his son Drew Peterson called the event in a 2006 Miami Herald article, featured Peterson, into his 80s, leading the way on his Harley.​

He also sponsored the Toys in the Sun Run for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Cancer Caring Center and numerous Red Cross blood donor drives.​

In 2006, when Peterson expanded his Cutler Bay showroom by moving into a former Circuit City, he marked the occasion with a black tie and blue jeans fundraiser for The Women’s Alliance, an organization that provides career training for low-income women, and for Chapter 2, a used clothing store in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood.

“I’m heavy into charities and I’m glad to see my sons and daughters-in-law following along,” Peterson told the Miami Herald in 2006. “The more people we can help, the better off everything is.”

After a childhood spent on the cherry farms in Wisconsin, he enlisted in the Navy in 1942. He served in combat on destroyers in the Atlantic and Pacific as a machinist’s mate first class. At 14, he met the woman who would later become his wife and fellow rider of 67 years, Charlotte, in the Peterson family cherry orchard.

The lure of cycles proved stronger than farming, however, especially as Peterson gazed longingly at free-spirited teens who rode their bikes along the dirt roads outside his childhood home. After a period of racing on the circuit, Peterson opened his dealership in Key West. The Miami Gardens branch followed in 1965.

“I've loved motorcycles since I was a little kid,” he said in a 2006 Herald story. “I love the freedom.”

Peterson is survived by his wife, Charlotte, and their six children, Josephine Robbin, David Peterson, Jan Peterson Adelson, Dan, Drew and Dirk Peterson; nine grandchildren and five step-grandchildren. A memorial Mass will be at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Rose of Lima Church, 415 NE 105th St., Miami Shores. A celebration of life and memorial ride is planned later in October. Visit www.petersonsharley.com.

“The more people we can help, the better off everything is.”
Great words to live by. I try my best every day and get very tired of others that just like to tear down.
Fire-medic, he sounds like he was a helluva guy with a full life indeed, my condolences to his family and all that knew him. RIP.

I was over at the children's hospital he did charitable benefits for today, it's one of the locations we send our EMT and paramedic students for intensive experience. Yes, he's done a lot of good for the community, and has acted with his actions and wallet. I know his sons, not well, but for a long time. He was a good philanthropist.

I was over at the children's hospital he did charitable benefits for today, it's one of the locations we send our EMT and paramedic students for intensive experience. Yes, he's done a lot of good for the community, and has acted with his actions and wallet. I know his sons, not well, but for a long time. He was a good philanthropist.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank-you, he was a real gentleman, he had a good business sense, and he made sure his family learned what he had about operating a business which sold what has come to be seen as a luxury product, instead of an essential item, or transportation you can use year-round here in FL. Mr. Peterson had many tales to tell, and he could reel them off keeping you interested in the stories.

Went there a couple of times , nice place . Old school Harley dealer , he cared about the product and service unlike todays dealers who are only concerned about the bottom line...RIP .

They used to be in a bad part of town (there were worse) but after the 1980 McDuffie riots (caused by a group of Miami cops who beat to death a motorcyclist who popped wheelies and ran red lights, before finally pulling over, only to be killed for his traffic violations) they relocated further north on the same road, closer to Ft. Lauderdale. The old shop was more of the traditional bike shop, but the new shop was built for him, and always attracts a good crowd any weekend there is decent weather.

Latest posts

Back