My next set of COPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, please let me know, hell.... All of us running cops know!! I'm extremely interested!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They fit pointing out the sides.Use the same connectors as upgraded coils- furukawa-- and I'm working on compatibility. The connector tilts at multiple angles. I will keep those interested posted.

I know a company called Takai makes some pretty hot COPS for sportbikes but they were around $600 fir a set of 4 if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
For some people, there 'always' have been individual coil packs. We of the many decades recall when engines had 'distributors' or 'magnetos.' Yes, analog ignitions, with arcane things called 'points,' and 'capacitors,' 'distributor caps' and such. It was always fun to charge the capacitor with electricity, and then toss it to the shop hanger-on, "here, catch!" and to listen to their howl as they caught it, and it discharged its electrical charge.

Points on the end of the cam, points on the crankshaft, sometimes buried beneath the flywheel/rotor, great fun to adjust!

You young whippersnappers don't know 'how-good' you've got it...

Here we go with more acronyms for the newbie....COPS? coil packs, like do they connect to the spark plugs?

Usually when I see COPS i'm turning around!!

For some people, there 'always' have been individual coil packs. We of the many decades recall when engines had 'distributors' or 'magnetos.' Yes, analog ignitions, with arcane things called 'points,' and 'capacitors,' 'distributor caps' and such. It was always fun to charge the capacitor with electricity, and then toss it to the shop hanger-on, "here, catch!" and to listen to their howl as they caught it, and it discharged its electrical charge.

Points on the end of the cam, points on the crankshaft, sometimes buried beneath the flywheel/rotor, great fun to adjust!

You young whippersnappers don't know 'how-good' you've got it...
+1----We must be the same age.

I was checking out some high performance automotive COP's. Darn if I remember the brand, I believe they were red. But they were similar to these. The primary resistance was only .5 ohms. I don't know what the point of low resistance that will wreck the Ignatech or worse yet, OEM box, but I felt it was possibly unsafe. The price to pay for high secondary output will always be low primary resistance. If we put resistors in line, we'll lower the secondary blast we tried to achieve. Just thought I's toss that out there.
Steve-o

Same info i got Steve-o. You showed the red ones to me too and I put it somewhere- I'll look.
The letter I received from accel shows primary resistance is .660 ohms and secondary is 6.1k ohms making these a wash. I'm looking into Mercury and Ford Mustang now.

I started riding my older brother's small Honda when the largest Honda was a 450 twin, and their idea of a dirtbike was a 305 parallel-twin w/high-pipes and a skid plate, coincidentally my first bike. A 'mid-size' bike was a 160 cc, and Bridgestone had a real screamer in their rotary-valve 2-stroke parallel twin. It was a rompin,' stompin' 175 cc. Easy Rider (the movie, not the magazine) wasn't made yet, bikes didn't have disc brakes, a Sportster was one of the fastest bikes on the street, and H-D dressers struggled to break 30 RWHP. The light, powerful, agile two-strokes from Spain were beginning to take-over offroad events, and while the British east coast woods bikes and west coast desert sleds were still enjoyed by riders, the handwriting was on the wall. The Japanese were paying attention, and were about to release bikes based on the Spanish dirt bikes. The Yamaha DT-1 wasn't out yet, but when it was released, it was almost single-handedly responsible for introducing thousands of new riders to offroad fun. It would take Honda 5 years to finally give-in and to release their Elsinore offroad bikes powered by, (gasp!) single cylinder two-strokes!

That's my era of beginning to ride.

+1----We must be the same age.

I started riding my older brother's small Honda when the largest Honda was a 450 twin, and their idea of a dirtbike was a 305 parallel-twin w/high-pipes and a skid plate, coincidentally my first bike. A 'mid-size' bike was a 160 cc, and Bridgestone had a real screamer in their rotary-valve 2-stroke parallel twin. It was a rompin,' stompin' 175 cc. Easy Rider (the movie, not the magazine) wasn't made yet, bikes didn't have disc brakes, a Sportster was one of the fastest bikes on the street, and H-D dressers struggled to break 30 RWHP. The light, powerful, agile two-strokes from Spain were beginning to take-over offroad events, and while the British east coast woods bikes and west coast desert sleds were still enjoyed by riders, the handwriting was on the wall. The Japanese were paying attention, and were about to release bikes based on the Spanish dirt bikes. The Yamaha DT-1 wasn't out yet, but when it was released, it was almost single-handedly responsible for introducing thousands of new riders to offroad fun. It would take Honda 5 years to finally give-in and to release their Elsinore offroad bikes powered by, (gasp!) single cylinder two-strokes!

That's my era of beginning to ride.
My 1st bike was also the 1971 Honda CB175 twin-blue. V-8 cans on the pipes.

It appears cops put out less volts per plug, u need an ignition booster to get up to stock volts.
Otherwise u would need to lessen the plug gap to make up for less volts. Which is not good for a carburetor type bike !

It appears cops put out less volts per plug, u need an ignition booster to get up to stock volts.

Otherwise u would need to lessen the plug gap to make up for less volts. Which is not good for a carburetor type bike !

I'm running cop's now and the gapped to .029". Seems to run well. Where did you read this, and could you post a link so I can read it as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they come off of newer and usually improved designed bikes that use coil on plug and carburetion and appear not to have an issue with them (although I will agree gap less depending on the model) Then where lies the problem-not an ignition booster but a resistor. It has been proven by many more on this site than myself-3 1/2 years running. Some members more than 5+ years.

Back