My next set of COPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running COP's from Blaxmax. Running NGK plugs with the gap preset out of the box. My bike has never run better in all the years I've owned it!

Would you recommend a different gap setting? I have a stock ignition and COP's without resistors.

Last edited:
Dammit... you and the mod monkey are ganging up on me again! More power is always better...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dammit... you and the mod monkey are ganging up on me again! More power is always better...

Unfortunately if your running ANY of the denso COPS, you wont have a power increase. The denso COPS have a lot of benefits, but power is not one of them. The stock Vmax coils actually out perform the Denso COPS, because the Denso's are made for fuel injected bikes, so the coils don't have to be as powerful.

Myself and a couple of people dyno'd before and after.....and no hp increase.

Now for power.....these are interesting.

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/Coils.asp

Or even

http://www.takai-racing.com/main/ignition_coils.htm

Takai WONT give the specs on their Coil sticks.....but MPS will, and they are WAY better that the Denso coil sticks.....but you pay for it as well.

Unfortunately if your running ANY of the denso COPS, you wont have a power increase. The denso COPS have a lot of benefits, but power is not one of them. The stock Vmax coils actually out perform the Denso COPS, because the Denso's are made for fuel injected bikes, so the coils don't have to be as powerful.

Myself and a couple of people dyno'd before and after.....and no hp increase.

Now for power.....these are interesting.

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/Coils.asp

Or even

http://www.takai-racing.com/main/ignition_coils.htm

Takai WONT give the specs on their Coil sticks.....but MPS will, and they are WAY better that the Denso coil sticks.....but you pay for it as well.
No, was looking at the high energy COPs at the beginning of the post. More fuel burn from hotter spark... always a plus.

No, was looking at the high energy COPs at the beginning of the post. More fuel burn from hotter spark... always a plus.

Blax and I had a conversation about those on another forum......and those didn't work out. If I remember correctly he said that the ohms were too high???

On the Holley website, the output was only 26000 volts max. The stock vmax coils are rated at 30000. If I remember correctly.

Well that sucks...

Yes it does.

Yamaha built a very good machine, and to improve on it, will COST you. You can get 10-15 hp with tuning, exhaust, etc......after that.....open your wallet.

It appears cops put out less volts per plug, u need an ignition booster to get up to stock volts.
Otherwise u would need to lessen the plug gap to make up for less volts. Which is not good for a carburetor type bike !

I've settled into a .030 plug gap after trying many different ones. I'm using COP's without resistors, and an Ignatech ignition.
Steve-o

It would be interesting to see what dynatek would say about using them with a 3000. Primary resistance: 0.85 ohms

That is still 600 bucks for all four with shipping.

Takai offers a guarantee, that if you don't have atleast a 4 hp increase, send them back within 30 days.

It would be interesting to swap out COPS like this......just to see what would happen at the dyno.

Last edited:
Dynatek coil sticks Vs MPS coil sticks

Dynatek

Specifications:
Primary resistance: 0.85 ohms
Primary inductance: 2.25 mH
Secondary resistance: 4.95K ohms
Secondary inductance: 12.1 H
Test voltage: 13.8V
Dwell time to achieve test current: 1.3ms=4.5A, 2.0ms=6.8A
Secondary available voltage: 25.8Kv @ 4.5A, 32.8Kv @ 6.8A
Secondary peak gap current: 64.4MA @ 4.5A, 94.8mA @ 6.8A
Spark duration: 0.835ms @ 4.5A, 1.045ms @ 6.8A

MPS

Primary resistance: 1.2 ohms
Primary inductance: 2.4 mH
Secondary resistance: 12.5K ohms
Secondary inductance: 12.9 H
Test voltage: 13.5V
Dwell time to achieve test current: 1.3ms=5.2A, 2.1ms=7.6A
Secondary available voltage: 25.2Kv @ 5.2A, 42.8Kv @ 7.6A
Secondary peak gap current: 72.4mA @ 5.2A, 105.8mA @ 7.6A
Spark duration: 0.910@ 5.2A, 1.435ms @ 7.6A

Dynatek coil sticks Vs MPS coil sticks

Dynatek

Specifications:
Primary resistance: 0.85 ohms
Primary inductance: 2.25 mH
Secondary resistance: 4.95K ohms
Secondary inductance: 12.1 H
Test voltage: 13.8V
Dwell time to achieve test current: 1.3ms=4.5A, 2.0ms=6.8A
Secondary available voltage: 25.8Kv @ 4.5A, 32.8Kv @ 6.8A
Secondary peak gap current: 64.4MA @ 4.5A, 94.8mA @ 6.8A
Spark duration: 0.835ms @ 4.5A, 1.045ms @ 6.8A

MPS

Primary resistance: 1.2 ohms
Primary inductance: 2.4 mH
Secondary resistance: 12.5K ohms
Secondary inductance: 12.9 H
Test voltage: 13.5V
Dwell time to achieve test current: 1.3ms=5.2A, 2.1ms=7.6A
Secondary available voltage: 25.2Kv @ 5.2A, 42.8Kv @ 7.6A
Secondary peak gap current: 72.4mA @ 5.2A, 105.8mA @ 7.6A
Spark duration: 0.910@ 5.2A, 1.435ms @ 7.6A

And they state you need a primary of 3-0hms +- 10% to run the 3000?

I don't know which ones would be the best "bang" for the buck.:ummm:

Looks like the MPS may be "slightly" better.....but as usual, they are more expensive as well. LOL, so would they be 100 bucks better?:confused2:

Latest posts

Back