Valve adjustment shims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99vmax71

Reaction score
Hello all, 1st post. I have looked over the entire site and actually found a great write up on doing a valve adjustment.. The problem is, is that it mentions nowhere what diameter shims to use. Does anyone have this info?

Well the shims are kind of expensive to buy. Sean Morley has been known to loan out kits, with all of the shims that you need, plus the tool. After your done, you just send your unused shims, and kit back to Sean.

There have been issues in the past, with people holding onto the kits for 6 months to a year, and so just ask that you send them back in a timely manner. People have had to physically go after the kits before, and remind people to send them back.

You can email Sean at [email protected]

Lol, I bought a kit but I think there the wrong diameter. I also purchased the j tool. He must be a super nice fella to loan that stuff out. I don't mind purchasing the shims at all if I knew what diameter to get.

The shims are the same as DOHC 750/900/1100 80's model Honda...so I have been told..can some one confirm this?

There is no simple shim kit out there like the Hot Cams crap you see on ebay. At $6 a shim it can get damn expensive if you don't know what you need.

Speaking of shim kit delays and taking too long to get back. I may be asking for some help again.

Sean

Just let me know if I can help. I helped with the last one from Denham Springs.

That's a shame that anyone would take advantage of such a generous offer from Sean. I have my own kit that's taken me a longtime to stock. My labor mostly, stripping dead engines & grabbing them from the wrecking yards. First you have to buy the tool, have a set of gaskets handy,then if you don't have a set of shims, you're down until you order them & wait for them to get shipped. That's the value of having a kit at your disposal. Not having to be down more than a few hours. I'm available to do the job with in 50-75 miles of my place.
Steve-o

Sean "stay golden" You've been nothing but a great guy to me. Anywhere in the RI, Eastern Mass. area and I'll be glad to help out.

Christian

+1, how many times have we called Sean for parts and he sends them right out before he even gets paid? Add in the invaluable free advice, his donations,and we have a Brother that should never ever be screwed with. Shim kits, electrical kits, cores, all need to go back promptly. Few will ever be there for us like he is.
Steve-o

+1, how many times have we called Sean for parts and he sends them right out before he even gets paid? Add in the invaluable free advice, his donations,and we have a Brother that should never ever be screwed with. Shim kits, electrical kits, cores, all need to go back promptly. Few will ever be there for us like he is.
Steve-o
+ 1 hands down the best guy to deal with Sean rocks, actually I've bought many parts from different members (and sold) haven't had a bad experience yet, and Sean if that shim kits near me in MI let me know don't have a problem making a visit if need be

Just found this year-old string while searching for valve adjust tool loaner. FWIW, my CB-X, like many other DOHC Hondas from the 80's, uses 25mm shims. When bought new, they're about 1/2 the price of VMax shims. I usually buy mine used at a semi-local dealer in South Jersey on an exchange basis.

One other thing, and this may be obvious to some but not to others depending on your perspective and experience. If you're willing to map and record all 16 of your shim sizes the first time you go in to do a lash adjustment, you can usually get away with buying fewer shims by what I call "shim shifting". This is a technique of moving a shim from it's current location where it is no longer the correct size over to a new location where that size shim is actually required to bring a different valve into lash spec. By maximizing this shim rearrangement technique the last time I adjusted lash on the big 6 (which has 24 valves whew!) I got away with buying only 5 shims even though 11 valves clearances were out of spec.

One last thing. I always adjust to the high side of the clearance spec when adjusting valves. It may be ever so slightly noisier (more so on air-cooled engines) but as the old saying goes... "Better to hear 'em than to smell 'em!"

By the way. I've got shims available in about every size should a non-vmax size be needed.

Latest posts

Back