Carb or Fuel Pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Vmax came out of storage, and is running a bit rough.

Trouble maintaining idle, no issues with acceleration. Intermittently couching as well.

Was stored with seafood in the tank.

Any ideas?

Nick

This one's easy to troubleshoot from afar.

Throw-out the old seafood, it's making your bike sick. :rofl_200:

How-many people are gonna reply, "shotgun or peashooter methods?"

Vmax came out of storage, and is running a bit rough.

Trouble maintaining idle, no issues with acceleration. Intermittently couching as well.

Was stored with seafood in the tank.

Any ideas?

Nick

Should have mentioned. The storage was around 1000 miles ago.

No seafoam in the tank now and problems remain.

Lol, seafood damn auto correct.

Yup, do the shotgun, but also check the voltage across the battery terminals when your bike is at idle.....should be 12.3v. or better. The ignition unit requires a healthy voltage, or the bike will stumble.
If the voltage is less, first suspect the battery itself. Have it load-tested.
Cheers!

I was worried the pea-shooter and shotgun were going to be a voodoo waste of time. Then I did them. Then I rode a smooth responsive idle for the first time in a long time. +1 to that

Will a garage style air pump with an appropriate tip be enough to hit 100 psi or do I need a compressor?

Also, how long should it take to do all four?

Will a garage style air pump with an appropriate tip be enough to hit 100 psi or do I need a compressor?

That will work-you can remove the jet to give more air. I done it with a bicycle pump before.
About 15 mins.

As-cheap as HFT compressors are, you should have one for your vehicle maintenance.

Dont have much in that way right now, my garage has been turned into a storage area by the wife. But, I am slowly decisively taking it back. It would help if I wasn't gone constantly for training.

Update on the bike:
Did both "shotgun" and "peashooter" on her tonight. Took a few hours, and noticed a few things.

All fuel mixtures screws had a white residue on them. Looked almost like some type of corrosion because when I scrubbed it off the metal was no longer as smooth. Any thoughts?

Bike seems to be running better now. Initally after start up it had some issues, and has coughed once or twice since.

Both before and now it seems like its' idle speed is all over the place. I adjusted it up during the "peashooter," but noticed even without my touching it while running it will change, seemingly on its' own, from 2000 rpm to 1500 and back again. Any thoughts?

Going to ride it a bit more tomorrow during the day light, and maybe let it sit and idle during normal hours so the neighbors dont hate me.

Thanks all for the advice, fell back in love with my Vmax between yesterday test riding a Vrod (slow!!) and working on her today.

Dont have much in that way right now, my garage has been turned into a storage area by the wife. But, I am slowly decisively taking it back. It would help if I wasn't gone constantly for training.

Update on the bike:
Did both "shotgun" and "peashooter" on her tonight. Took a few hours, and noticed a few things.

All fuel mixtures screws had a white residue on them. Looked almost like some type of corrosion because when I scrubbed it off the metal was no longer as smooth. Any thoughts?

Bike seems to be running better now. Initally after start up it had some issues, and has coughed once or twice since.

Both before and now it seems like its' idle speed is all over the place. I adjusted it up during the "peashooter," but noticed even without my touching it while running it will change, seemingly on its' own, from 2000 rpm to 1500 and back again. Any thoughts?

Going to ride it a bit more tomorrow during the day light, and maybe let it sit and idle during normal hours so the neighbors dont hate me.

Thanks all for the advice, fell back in love with my Vmax between yesterday test riding a Vrod (slow!!) and working on her today.

The erratic idle is probably from the carbs not being synced- do you have a carb synchronizer?
Sounds like a road trip with Dragmaxster.

I don't have a carb tuner, though I may get one. How difficult is it to tune a carb?

Bike rode fine this AM, no issues and idle was nice and smooth.

Just remembered I took a picture last night of one of my fuel mixture screws. Any ideas?

This was the worst, though each had some level of build up on them.

Attachments

• Fuel-Air Mixture Screw 1.jpg
    Fuel-Air Mixture Screw 1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 29
I don't have a carb tuner, though I may get one. How difficult is it to tune a carb?

Just remembered I took a picture last night of one of my fuel mixture screws. Any ideas?

Looks like they haven't been cleaned for a while.
Takes about a week to arrive-------

http://www.carbtune.com/

Attachments

• Carb sync procedure sept11 (1).pdf
    407.3 KB · Views: 7

The needles look ok although the spring has seen better days.

Mark

I took a good look at each, they were identical.

I did notice one of them really didn't want to catch on the threads for a bit. And I accidentally left it "two turns" out from the peashooter. Seems to be running better that way though so...

Any words of wisdom as far as where to put the fuel/air mixture screw at, or how to adjust it, for varying altitudes and want not?

Last edited:
Without buying a Carb Sync Tool, next pay period, is there a way to do a rough sync of the carb?

I took a good look at each, they were identical.

I did notice one of them really didn't want to catch on the threads for a bit. And I accidentally left it "two turns" out from the peashooter. Seems to be running better that way though so...

Any words of wisdom as far as where to put the fuel/air mixture screw at, or how to adjust it, for varying altitudes and want not?

2 1/2 turns out is a good starting point.
You can look up "bench sync" some use a small drill bit between the venturi and throttle body while carbs are off to get as close as possible.

Back