Fan melted off, replacement thoughts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
After fixing some electrical issues and installing COPSs, I noted my radiator fan was making an odd noise, and it wasn't spinning.

On disassembly and inspection, it appears my fan really melted off the housing that makes it spin. Sigh.

My first inclination was to epoxy the fan back to it's motor, though I figured I'd ask if anybody had rec's on replacing it, possibly with a better one. eBay has plenty of used stock fans for under $20, and, after epoxy'ing it back on, those appear to be options.

My vmax has always run hot, as I drive it in Brooklyn and lower Manhattan traffic. An override switch addressed this for the most part. I also just drained the coolant and I will run some vinegar through to clear up sediment.

Thoughts on used oem fans vs aftermarket fans vs epoxy'ing the original back on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought that before deciding how to effect a repair you should establish what caused the issue in the fist place.
It would need some considerable heat to melt the fan. I assume this is around the motor spindle?
If so the source of heat would be from the motor itself therefore I would replace the motor ad fan assembly.
Easiest would be OE as that is a strait swap. You could adapt any other motor / fan assy. but probably would need to fabricate suitable brackets.

An alternate that I have always been interested in but never the need to upgrade was the Holeshot Performance Products V-Max Aluminum Fan and Switch Kit they sell for $68.95. Take a look at www.holeshot.com.[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

I would have thought that before deciding how to effect a repair you should establish what caused the issue in the fist place.
It would need some considerable heat to melt the fan. I assume this is around the motor spindle?.

That is a smarter approach, and yes, it's around the spindle. I run the fan A LOT because I am always in city traffic, and perhaps that is why it burnt out quicker. Also, my drain-bolt flow-selector things appears to have been set to "on", raising question to how much water has been flowing through there in the first place (I did not leave it this way, not sure which mechanic may have done this, but i'm pretty done with mechanics for basic repair).

I looked at the holeshot page (thanks vmax2extreme), but I already have a fan override switch, and a lack of testimnonials on this forum dissuades me from dropping $60 on a fan of questionable improvement.

PS- a dremel and crazy glue are working for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back