Where have all our Vmax Brothers gone

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1! Life's too short to carry hatred. I have had a lot of time to think about the futility of hate. Seeing the results of the recent election, I made myself a vow never to carry around the baggage of hate. I don't want to be known as "That Guy" any more. All transgressions are forgiven, all hate is erased.

I still have my stock as hell '93 VMax that is in dire need of mods. I really just have no idea where to start. But I still ride the heck out of it. I want to go radials and lighter wheels, I want to get an exhaust that makes my Max sound badass but can't decide what to go with. I want frame braces and solid motor mounts because I can feel the bike flexing when I go hard and fast in the corners.

But I don't really have the garage or tools to do the things I want to do with it. Don't have any friends, so no local resource to help. So in my mind I have this dialogue going on.

Left side of the brain: "Just pay someone else to install the mods. You don't really have the tools or the skill to do what is needed."

Right side of the brain: "But I want to learn to do it myself, I'll never learn if I don't get my hands dirty."

Left side of the brain: "But it's your only ride, do you really want to screw up your only ride? Maybe you should get a 2nd Vmax on the cheap and learn on that one."

Right side of the brain: "If I'm going to get a 2nd motorcycle, I'm going to get one that fills the gaps of the VMax... like one with a tank range of more than 100 miles and the comfort to ride all day for me AND the missus."

Me: "Will you two shut the hell up? Since you can't come to a decision, screw it, lets go for a ride."

Girlfriend: "Who are you talking to?"

That's pretty much my daily dialogue. Anytime I considering spending money, I always talk myself out of it. I had such a history of bad luck/timing. Seemed like anytime I bought something that cost a bit of money, like a new computer or gun, a car or an appliance would break down right after. I bought a used car a couple of years ago and one month later my A/C in the house took a croak and needed to replace the whole unit and furnace. So i get paranoid as soon as I start thinking about spending money. Hell I bought my '93 that only had 12k miles on it at the time for shade under 3,000(pretty good deal IMO) and worried for a week I had made mistake. Bike ran great and has almost zero problems -- I was just paranoid about spending that much money on myself. It was my girlfriend who thankfully talked me into keeping it.

So unfortunately, even though I've had the bike a couple of years and put 30k miles on it, I'm still pretty ignorant about it. These forums actually provide a little relief for me knowing so much knowlege is here should my VMax start having issues.

I've been around more now that my work life has lightened up. I was working two full time jobs for a while. So had little time for anything other sleep. So I stopped frequenting the forums as much as I used to. Best part of that time was the hour long commute to Scott AFB on the VMax at night. It wasn't an exciting ride by any means, but just being on the Max kept me sane.

I know 46 isn't very old, but my family has a history of dementia and Alzheimers. Couple that history with the boxing, bouncing, and street fighting I did for a good part of my life... I've had more concussions than most NFL players. And now in the 40s is when I'm seeing it's effects on my noggin. My mother had to be put in a loony bin this year because she became that homeless crazy bag lady you see screaming at traffic along the road. And what's heartbreaking about that is she was retired Air Traffic Controller... a damn good one in her day. She wasn't some lazy person or an addict. Her mind simply failed her. Her father/my grandfather had Alzheimers(along with ALS). I'm seeing the signs slowly creeping in for me. But having lived with two people who have quite literally lost their minds, I wouldn't wish that one anyone. So I've been working hard and trying to do the best I can to prepare for when I have break from loved ones and not leave with with any financial burdens since so many depend on me in that regard. I refuse to put them through the hell of trying to help someone losing their mind. My plan is to ride off into the sunset -- make a motorcycle trek to Alaska and go out in the woods and become worm food. I figure I still got 15 to 20 years before I need to make that ride. But I still got a daughter to put through med school and wonderful girlfriend I want to help make her dream a reality(her own bake and pastry shop). That's a lot of money, so I got a lot more work to do. :)

+1! Life's too short to carry hatred. I have had a lot of time to think about the futility of hate. Seeing the results of the recent election, I made myself a vow never to carry around the baggage of hate. I don't want to be known as "That Guy" any more. All transgressions are forgiven, all hate is erased.
Ive not kept up with all your post,But with you and your wife splitting up,Im truly sorry,It's hard to describe the kind of hurt that you feel.It happend to me years ago,And now my son. i felt like my soul and sprit littererly left.You know you have a heart,And when you're hurt by people you love it just makes you heart sick.I never seen a parent spank a child and feel good about it.Destroying a marriage is a waste.My first wife found a thousand things wrong with me, with us.All were reason's to run around on me.She called one night crying and said i miss you,I destroyed you and us.We had been down that road before,I said you truly destroyed us,Not me.It took me a couple of years to pick up what i had left,I finaly meant another and 29 years later were still together.Life is what is important.God don't make junk.

My First Wife of 11 years, ran around on me for 2-3 years. Wanted a Ferrari and a Dr. or Lawyer. All they wanted was SEX.:ummm:
After she finally split she Married an Out of Work truck driver and used my 2 Sons as tools trying to destroy me.

Married a Wonderful Lady 35 years ago. One Son moved over here in 1987 and is now making well over 6 figures with a wonderful family. Other Son, I had no contact with until 2014. I had forced his adoption back then for a lot of reasons. He told me one night that he was wrong. Now he ignores his biological mother completely. I'm his Dad again, name not mattering to either of us. His step father ignored his Wife and Family totally for 14 years and my first wife tried to control his family and life. He's like a clone of me in beliefs and actions. We are Great Friends now. Oh, He also made 6 figures last year.

According to the First Wife they would just be dirty, uneducated Bikers for being associated with me:rofl_200:
I was an Assistant Staff Engineer for an FAA Repair Center ( lowly job that is I did just fine). She could have paid cash for her Ferrari in a couple years.:confused2:

Justice is so Sweet but I LET IT GO YEARS AGO. :clapping:

I disagree with my Club Brothers pretty bad at times but we work things out and it's over.

Dave

Things have a way of working out, but it isn't easy, and takes work. Glad to see your life got together, Dave. My time to heal and improve is now.. Releasing the ill will that I had towards the people who betrayed my love and friendship makes that possible. I'm free!

I know 46 isn't very old, but my family has a history of dementia and Alzheimers. Couple that history with the boxing, bouncing, and street fighting I did for a good part of my life... I've had more concussions than most NFL players. And now in the 40s is when I'm seeing it's effects on my noggin. My mother had to be put in a loony bin this year because she became that homeless crazy bag lady you see screaming at traffic along the road. And what's heartbreaking about that is she was retired Air Traffic Controller... a damn good one in her day. She wasn't some lazy person or an addict. Her mind simply failed her. Her father/my grandfather had Alzheimers(along with ALS). I'm seeing the signs slowly creeping in for me. But having lived with two people who have quite literally lost their minds, I wouldn't wish that one anyone. So I've been working hard and trying to do the best I can to prepare for when I have break from loved ones and not leave with with any financial burdens since so many depend on me in that regard. I refuse to put them through the hell of trying to help someone losing their mind. My plan is to ride off into the sunset -- make a motorcycle trek to Alaska and go out in the woods and become worm food. I figure I still got 15 to 20 years before I need to make that ride. But I still got a daughter to put through med school and wonderful girlfriend I want to help make her dream a reality(her own bake and pastry shop). That's a lot of money, so I got a lot more work to do. :)[/QUOTE]Im So sorry about what happend to your mom and grandfather.My dad had a nervous breakdown,I was very small when it happend,He recovered for the most part.And raised us kids,With mom still by his side.Later after dad passed My brother and sister talked about how mean our dad really was during his breakdown.To me he was a great father and husband.His best years was after the breakdown was over.You seem like a good person.Don't waste you life thinking about what if.Don't waste it period.The last thing anyone want's you to do is end up worm food.We are not promised tomorrow.If you got 20 years left make the most of it.I used to be a fucker and a fighter and a motorcycle rider.Never gonna be the meanest the baddest.But you can be the best for you and the ones you love and the ones who love you.Best wishes my friend.Now you have one.My wife tells me sometimes youre your own worst enemey.

Still here. After almost loosing my dad, I've been his caregiver. With him getting my attention, working full time, taking a couple of classes and working on my own projects, my time is pretty thin.

KJ: My son is still up there in Fairbanks with you. We talked a couple weeks ago and it was -20 to 30 at the time. I could ride here in Florida today it's 80's but roofers have the bikes all blocked in the garage.:confused2::ummm:

Poppop: Astounding write up. Never knew all of your stories and we've been Friends and Brothers for years.

Still lurking in the background, I never have posted much because I've always found the info I've needed in the search. But winter is here, so I'm about to let the monkey off it's leash. I've spoken to a few, bought parts from a few, and riden with a few from the forum, you guys are the best.

Sent from my SM-N920R6 using Tapatalk

Still here poking around. Noticed the same as well. It's just that time of year I guess. Thanks giving, Christmas and New Years take up wrenching n mod time. Happy holidays to all of the vmax guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ: My son is still up there in Fairbanks with you. We talked a couple weeks ago and it was -20 to 30 at the time. .

It got a little chilly for a bit, but starting to gain daylight and only have to go through a couple more cold snaps, then it will be riding time again. :biglaugh:

I still check in from time to time. Haven't posted in years. I have a 6 year old and a 19 month old. Working 60 hours a week and squeezing in some home remodeling keeps me quite busy. I think i rode maybe 6 times last year but enjoyed every single ride. Ive had my '89 for about 15 years now and still love it. This is a fantastic forum with a ton of information here from everyone. I hope you all have a great and healthy new year......best regards, John in Ct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this thread supposed to be a roll call or something?

Well, if it is, I'm still here. Been AWOL for a bit due to deer hunting season and I'll be more active once I give the '85 some attention again.

Goal is to have this thing running RIGHT for this year. Spent too much money and time sitting the sidelines last year as some of you are aware.

I'll get back on the Vmax work soon though..... got a few projects on it to prepare for riding season, and I have some time. Cold up here in MN!

Don't know about any roll cage. Just wanted to see who is still active and alive here.
It is what it is otherwise.:confused2::ummm:

I am still here as well, season is done for me. Bike has been winterized, no mod's to carry out, will be more active in the Spring when I put rubber to the road. Pretty busy with other aspects of my life. Still willing to help a brother out, if I have input. I'm still pretty new.

Latest posts

Back