to big bore or not to big bore

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, Paul Novak built it up nicely. I don't think he ever crested the 200 rwhp mark with it though. You can get similar power out of a NA built engine but it won't ever sound as cool lol.

I did a pcw 1500 I love the bike dynode 174hp but if I had to do it over again I would not do it just buy a busa or zx14 in those caliber of bikes you get 200hp + handling the gen 2 has the power but its not for everyone me personally I don't like the gen2 . Any time you push that kind of hp to a vmax the reliability goes away my vmax heats up quick in traffic an they all do. I bought a zx14 and wish I would have done this before I threw 8k at my vmax motor.

I did a pcw 1500 I love the bike dynode 174hp but if I had to do it over again I would not do it just buy a busa or zx14 in those caliber of bikes you get 200hp + handling the gen 2 has the power but its not for everyone me personally I don't like the gen2 . Any time you push that kind of hp to a vmax the reliability goes away my vmax heats up quick in traffic an they all do. I bought a zx14 and wish I would have done this before I threw 8k at my vmax motor.

If you do one of these motors I would go chain drive I didn't an my vmax likes to eat up the rear diff.

Not meaning to hi jack, I probably should start a different thread with this post. A lot of us Gen 1 lovers want more performance but can't invest the $$ a 1570 or even a 1500 tour-master cost. The stock motors are super reliable and can be moded to run cooler. I've had many discussions with members on just getting into the 130's, HP wise. Original carbs and pumpkin. Cams are pricey and without some additional head work, I'm not sure of the bang for buck is there. Thinner head gasket or milling heads seems a good place to get cost effective power. I'm talking after full exhaust and carb tuning. Any ideas I'd appreciate, concentrating on bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Chain drive would do a lot of things I'd like. Weight reduction, more hp to the rear wheel. Ability to change sprocket sizes. I sure it's not cheap. Reliable?
I just checked the price, and ouch. Plus a gas tank mod for less gas? That won't work for me.

If you do one of these motors I would go chain drive I didn't an my vmax likes to eat up the rear diff.

I just snapped my shaft in half a few months ago with a bone stock max. Popped it right dead in the center. With only 21,000 miles. Was going to do a rolling burnout going to second gear. Guess it was the last one she had left. Well not bone stock, k&n filter, dd mod.

I just snapped my shaft in half a few months ago with a bone stock max. Popped it right dead in the center. With only 21,000 miles. Was going to do a rolling burnout going to second gear. Guess it was the last one she had left. Well not bone stock, k&n filter, dd mod.

I dont do that many burnouts, but I do have the DD mod, and I have 3-4 driveshafts sitting on the shelf.....just in case.

I dont do that many burnouts, but I do have the DD mod, and I have 3-4 driveshafts sitting on the shelf.....just in case.

I love roasting the tire its so easy with this bike. I tried countless times with my 78 goldwing but it's just got so much weight it would just push the front tire around. My wife yells at me when I do it lol, you ain't getting a new tire lol. But I left a nice 20 footer in the road in front of the driveway lol.

I love roasting the tire its so easy with this bike. I tried countless times with my 78 goldwing but it's just got so much weight it would just push the front tire around. My wife yells at me when I do it lol, you ain't getting a new tire lol. But I left a nice 20 footer in the road in front of the driveway lol.

LOL, well driveshafts are fairly cheap (Ive gotten mine for 30 bucks a piece or so and pretty easy to change.

LOL, well driveshafts are fairly cheap (Ive gotten mine for 30 bucks a piece or so and pretty easy to change.

Ooh hell yeah on that!!! I though I busted the housing at first and when I didn't see no smoke or oil on the road I figured a u joint, or shaft. Pushed it about 100 yards back to the house, and of course up hill lol. Pulled back the boot at the swing arm shined some light in there and saw the shaft going down hill. Had my wife rotate the tire, sure enough the shaft didn't turn had it tore down in about ten minutes. 3 days for a shaft, up and running again the following weekend. Even changed the gear oil in the final drive while it was apart.

1500 tourmaster with 40 TO 50 SHOT OF NOS IS THE WAY TO GO

I'm not big into NOS. I like turbos, and superchargers. I prefer a supercharger over a turbo setup. Nos is a one time thing, refilling the tank, seems like pita to me. Nos won't beat the sound of a force inducted engine. I like to feel the pull from 1st to 5th, and the sound the engine makes after shifting and going to redline everytime, nos doesn't do it for me.

Chain drive would do a lot of things I'd like. Weight reduction, more hp to the rear wheel. Ability to change sprocket sizes. I sure it's not cheap. Reliable?
I just checked the price, and ouch. Plus a gas tank mod for less gas? That won't work for me.
I have a chain drive and the tank is 4.3 gallons

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back