Factory coating on alu parts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The mongrel

Reaction score
Morning chaps

Should there be some sort of coating on the air scoops and rear grab handle?

Mine does not look like a factory finish and after sitting outside for 2 days there is already white powdery oxidation on the grab rail.
Needless to say i'm not at all impressed and might have to look into powder coating some other protection.
The air scoops have a kinda twotone finish. The top half look to have been polished at some point, while the recessed part has a shiney/lacquored, almost plasticy feeling finish...i'm guessing this was the factory finish for all the 'bare' alu in the bike?

Cheers all

Morning chaps

Should there be some sort of coating on the air scoops and rear grab handle?

Mine does not look like a factory finish and after sitting outside for 2 days there is already white powdery oxidation on the grab rail.
Needless to say i'm not at all impressed and might have to look into powder coating some other protection.
The air scoops have a kinda twotone finish. The top half look to have been polished at some point, while the recessed part has a shiney/lacquored, almost plasticy feeling finish...i'm guessing this was the factory finish for all the 'bare' alu in the bike?

Cheers all

The white powder is aluminum oxidation, sounds like the factory clear coat has been removed or worn off. Powder coating would be a good way to eliminate the problem.

As is noted there is a clear coating on the stock parts. Your 2000 would have been brushed aluminum top with clear and then a black painted lower half. Both on the scoops and side covers. Pretty common for them to oxidize though. Options are paint, coating or chrome.

Your 2000 would have been brushed aluminum top with clear and then a black painted lower half. Both on the scoops and side covers.

Thats great info thanks fella

Theres no damage on the air scoops. So i wont worry too much about them just now, plus i do like the raw alu look.
i'm going to fit a sissy bar (the renntec one with curved rear rack) so i think i'll have the grab handle powder coated black so it'll just blend in when the sissy bar is on

Actually, Sean missed one...they could also be anodized...anodized aluminum is also a very durable solution and there are many color options or it can be clear anodized to keep the natural aluminum look...

Actually, Sean missed one...they could also be anodized...anodized aluminum is also a very durable solution and there are many color options or it can be clear anodized to keep the natural aluminum look...

Any anodized Vmax part pics Frank? Your ride is looking incredible.

Latest posts

Back