Buying a V Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, checking 2nd gear is under FULL power......not a good thing to do on a centerstand..lol

It can't be done on the centerstand. There would be no frictional resistance (load) to reliably test it with.

It can't be done on the centerstand. There would be no frictional resistance (load) to reliably test it with.
I was thinking about riding the rear brake the whole time, but it would guarantee that it was a bad idea.

Also.

If knew then what I know now...

I'd save my pennies and buy a bike from Sean with all the stuff already done and installed. Then I could just ride it instead of always fiddling with stuff (which I'd do anyway, but it would be on a better prepped platform).

Riding the brake still won't give a good loading of the gear dogs.

I figured or people would be doing it as a test.

Yep, I remember seeing a video some where, that someone had a bike on an lift, (the kind the just fit under the engine), and start the bike and revved it up, the bike fell of the lift and decided to TAKE OFF. NOT GOOD. :rofl_200:

Yep, I remember seeing a video some where, that someone had a bike on an lift, (the kind the just fit under the engine), and start the bike and revved it up, the bike fell of the lift and decided to TAKE OFF. NOT GOOD. :rofl_200:

Ha - I know I read someone's comment here that "it could go really bad, really fast" and got a good chuckle....

cause it would go much badder, much faster than if it happened with my CB 350...haha

It looks like I may get to ride the V Max Sunday. Double digits here tomorrow, 35 on Sunday - hoping for even one mostly bare tire lane on the roads....

Like Sean said. make sure you've let it warm up before you run it hard. Trying to force cold oil around in the motor at high rpm is no bueno.

I got to look at it today. I should note that in my first conversation with him he told me the bike does not leak. It still didn't want to start...We're back to single digits here and more snow on the way. I don't think I'm going to get to test ride it. From looking at it. He assured me there are no popping out of gear issues. I will call the dealer Monday to see if I can find out what all they have done :

The calipers were so wet from the fork seals leaking that I can't tell if they are leaking.
It could use a battery.
Needs front brakes, grips, mirrors, an end cap on the bars, and I would put a radiator on it because it has a pretty big dent. He said it does not heat up or leak despite the dent.
The valve covers are seeping...which makes me question the 2 valve adjustments he said have been done. Also one of the valve cover plastic end caps are cracked.
There's normal gravel dings on the front fender and a couple other areas. The side 'scoop' has a pretty good gash in it. Rest of the body is good.

I'd love to pick your brains on a fair offer...and see if any of these raise red flags. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of things needed for a $4500.00 bike. Offer him 2 grand, and walk away if he doesn't take it. Even then, I'd be really leery of that machine. You need to hear it run, and beware those brakes if they're oil soaked....

I got to look at it today. I should note that in my first conversation with him he told me the bike does not leak. It still didn't want to start...We're back to single digits here and more snow on the way. I don't think I'm going to get to test ride it. From looking at it. He assured me there are no popping out of gear issues. I will call the dealer Monday to see if I can find out what all they have done :

The calipers were so wet from the fork seals leaking that I can't tell if they are leaking.
It could use a battery.
Needs front brakes, grips, mirrors, an end cap on the bars, and I would put a radiator on it because it has a pretty big dent. He said it does not heat up or leak despite the dent.
The valve covers are seeping...which makes me question the 2 valve adjustments he said have been done. Also one of the valve cover plastic end caps are cracked.
There's normal gravel dings on the front fender and a couple other areas. The side 'scoop' has a pretty good gash in it. Rest of the body is good.

I'd love to pick your brains on a fair offer...and see if any of these raise red flags. Thanks in advance.

The radiator is bent because he missed a turn and went into a field and hit a post. It bent the forks and radiator. He replaced the forks with new factory yamaha forks but left the radiator because it worked. This happened about 8k miles ago. He told me it'll wheelie straight up and down at 25 MPh with a hot tire...which might explain the for seals...[emoji52]

Sorry, man. It's time to walk away. Unless the thing is like $1k. Don't buy non-running maxes (I've done it twice). If he wants to sell it, he can put a battery in it. Get the Apex one that's on here all the time for like $40.

Hell I would sell the 95 I have been working on for $ 3,000 & it is really nice looking & runs great.

Attachments

• 1st snow 2017 007.jpg
    1st snow 2017 007.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1st snow 2017 008.jpg
    1st snow 2017 008.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20
The battery wanted to start it. He made it sound like 5 degrees warmer and it would go. It fired and ran for 10 seconds or so. Bummer...I was pretty excited. If it runs and sounds good tomorrow, do you think the to do list is still too big to buy it? I don't know how tough valve covers are to do on it....I'm more concerned with the no leaks comment when there clearly are. Makes me question the tranny and drivability issues based on his word.

Nice looking bike captain kyle. How many miles? Any known issues?

Buy Kyle's no questions. I know what it's like to see a bike you've wanted for like 15 years running right in front of you for ten seconds. That's how I got my first max. Then I had to trailer it home and start working on it, which took months and money. A $3k bike from Kyle is worth every penny, and the help you'll get from everyone on here will get you through anything you could ever want to change.

Hell I would sell the 95 I have been working on for $ 3,000 & it is really nice looking & runs great.

X2 walk away from the 04. 4000-4500 for a non runner with damage vs 3000 from a known and trusted seller that runs properly, besides 95 and 04 are pretty much the same bike.

:eusa_dance:

X2 walk away from the 04. 4000-4500 for a non runner with damage vs 3000 from a known and trusted seller that runs properly, besides 95 and 04 are pretty much the same bike.

:eusa_dance:
You guys are right. Sean has a couple for sale too. I don't want to spend my ice fishing season working on my new bike (other than mods) haha

Sending you a PM Kyle. Thanks for talking me down off the ledge guys.

Latest posts

Back