Fuel Consumption?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
A quick question from a new Vmax owner. My bike is a 1986, but in excellent condition. It appears to be 'stock' regarding the jets and has original pipes. She runs like a dream and has the Vboost. My question is what sort of gas/mileage should I expect to get. At the moment I only seem to be getting around 70 miles to a tank around town. I set the trip meter when i fill up a 'full tank' and refill the tank after 35 miles. It usually takes around 7.5 liters (half a tank) to fill her up again. I'm sure I get better millage on the highway. but does 70 miles per tank seem normal for town riding?

I get around 90-125 miles before I have to switch to reserve but I have a lot of open roads. The best I have seen was 42 mpg with one tune but average 30-33. The three things I noticed that will bring the MPG down is Harley hunting, highway speeds of 75+ or in town riding.

I'm at 3000' and it's not quite stock but my guess is unless your really doing all your riding in traffic you should be closer to 90-100.

28-32 mpg average, have seen the high teens when I get a little crazy. These are not the bike to have if you are concerned about fuel mileage.

28-32 mpg average, have seen the high teens when I get a little crazy. These are not the bike to have if you are concerned about fuel mileage.

As a new VMax owner myself I was wondering the same thing. Not because I was worried about how much I was spending on gas but just wanting know how far I could stretch a tank. I also would be interested in how many miles you can go on reserve.

I have a 5 gal tank and can go ~160 to the reserve light. On a stock tank I normally would use 20 miles on reserve just to be safe unless your first four gallons burned up in 80 miles or less. It is generally 100 to 120 to reserve on a normal running Vmax, normal usage.

40 MPG is the magic number.
I rarely see that number though. Only happens on Highway commute for me.

I typically see 33MPG with my riding style which is a lot of twisty back roads, on and off the throttle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I usually get 35-40 mpg on mine. Saw 42 once when i first got it, never again though, lol.

Mid 30s is normal. 40-42 on a tour or lots of constant low throttle openings with properly done carbs. 70 to the light is pretty low, even when playing around.

Highway, between 130-150 km/h : average 34 MPG Best 44.7 MPG
Road, between 60-110 km/h : average 35 MPG Best 39.2 MPG
Town : average 26 MPG Best 29.4 MPG

21-23 MPG for me as I usually run to red line between shifts.
Reserve used to work, but no longer. 85 miles until I have to push it to a gas station. The jetting does need to be adjusted.

40+ is usually only with a jet kit and aftermarket exhaust. There has been the RARE person to get it on a relatively stock Vmax with some good tuning.

I did a 150 mile on a tank run once. All highway driving at 65-75 mph. There were just fumes left.
+1 on full exhaust and carb kit aiding in mileage.

I will throw in my 2 cents worth to average the numbers maybe. I get 35- 40 regardless of how I ride. I do have jet kit and slip on Delkavic exhaust.

Latest posts

Back