your first bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought in 1971, for $250 which included a new color-of-my choice professional paint job (orange), a 1967 Honda 305 Scrambler, which introduced me to the joys of off-road riding, and prompted me the next year to buy my first new bike, a Yamaha 360 Enduro, which I still have.

Attachments

• Honda 305 Scrambler hillclimbing MI.01.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 3
1973 Yamaha RD350(2-stroke) with yamaha's oil induction system. Nice bike, and always beat my buddy's Honda 350/4:punk:

$(KGrHqF,!l0E6B0qR)twBOp1bfkNww~~60_3.JPG

First bike I rode was a 2003 Honda Rebel. 250cc of fun! It wasn't technically my bike (my parents bought it for my mom to learn to ride, she had owned a 400 suzuki back in the day, but it had been 20+ years since she rode) but I did all of the riding on it. I even took it off road a couple of times through a farm field. The tires were kinda knobby, so it was good for it.

The first bike I bought and had titled in my own name was a 1981 Honda CB750K. Here's a pic of one, but mine didn't have a sissy bar on it. It was in IMMACULATE condition when I got it. I paid $3000 for it with 4,XXX miles on it and put about 3000 miles on it in a year and a half. Sold it for $2900... not too bad

http://media.motortopia.com/files/12067/vehicle/48272be25ff8a/cb750k_600.jpg

650 Bonneville 1968, it was a great bike and quick in the day. Always kicked right over with little effort. I did a few mods like extended front end. Heads reworked. It held it's own against the king at the time, the 900 XLCH Sportster (imagine) This is a pic of the new replica, It looks very much like the old Bonne I ued to have, cept for the disk brakes and wheels. This is still a great 1st bike for anybody, easy to ride. I'm glad it's been back in production.

Steve-o

Attachments

• 800px-Triumph_Bonneville_on_the_street[1].jpg
    800px-Triumph_Bonneville_on_the_street[1].jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have had a few bikes, I have been ridding on and off since 1975 or so.
I started on a Honda SL 70 and used it like a dirtbike. Stripped lights and all off of it.
Then when I was 15 I got my first street bike 1970something SL100.
I remember when in junior high all the cool kids in high school rode in a group on them. So when I got old enough I had to have one but only difference there were now only 2 guys riding in high school. So much for the big group to ride with. So I rode with my dad and uncle they had bigger Honda 550four and Suzuki 440 GL It was all I could do to run 60 on flat level roads. Those were the days. Next
I had a 1980 Yamaha YZ 125. The first water-cooled dirt bike.
I had a 1980 Yamaha Maxim 750.
Then A 1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
Then a 1980 something Suzuki 750 GS for a very short time
Now for the last 3 years I have had an awesome 2002 well that's what the title says but te vin tag says 05/01. Go figure. VMAX.
It took me over 25 years to get one but I did it. I fell in love with them in 1985 when they first came out. Just took me some time to get one.

Started off on a 1979 Kawasaki 100 enduro. In high school I bought a 1988 Ninja. Had that for a couple of years before my buddy crashed it. Didn't have a bike for waaaaaayyy too long before getting the '03 Max last year. Wont' be without one ever again.

C'mon, racing a Honda 350/4 or a 400/4 w/an RD350 is like using an M60 to rid your lawn of chinch bugs!

Started out on mini bikes (the things with lawn mower engines) when I was 5 or so.

First bike that was really mine was a early 80's YZ80

Second bike was a '73 RD60. 2 stroke, oil injected

Then a '90 YZ 80

Then a '91 CR500 (still have it)

Then a '78 GS550E (still have parts of it)

Then the '06 Vmax

"(still have parts of it)"
yeah, me too, not my 1st, but a Kawi 500 triple, a '71, I think I still have the speedo w/11K mi on it. It has the local community college parking decal on it from probably 1976. I ran across it when I was throwing a lot of stuff out but I couldn't part w/a relic like that! It's a souvenir of embarassing my electrician friend's 1000 cc Sportster every time we rode on I-95 through Ft. Lauderdale. I gave a ride home from the fire dept. to one of my buddies, he also had a Sportster (iron barrel) and when we got there, he said, "I knew I was in for trouble when you took-off and all I saw was sky all the way down the block!" He still uses it as a reference to "being barely in-control!" Personally, I wasn't that scared, but the way he grabbed-onto me, I thought he was gonna pull me off the back with him. I later bought a Honda 750F and a KZ1000 from him. All great bikes, all fun. I have pics of us on our bikes going to Spring Break on Ft. Lauderdale Beach about 1984 when Mike Love of the Beach Boys and Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean played there along with a couple of the British bands who were in heavy-rotation then, not too-long after MTV began. That was the year Easter /spring recess for colleges and universities unleashed 600,000+ students onto Ft. Lauderdale, which made the city government pass ordinances about restricting future spring break activities. They worked, they killed the spring break, the students went to Daytona Beach, Panama City, San Padre Island, and MX.
52459781.jpg

Here's a reason the city fathers wanted "Spring Break Ft. Lauderdale Beach" gone:
52459839.jpg

Here's one of the reasons spring breakers came here in the first place:
52459817.jpg

And another reason. Those three boys on the left must have had a long cold winter until they came to FL! Much of the "local talent" allegedly provided the "contests" at the oceanfront bars with contestants in-order to entice the Northern and Midwest college students with reasons to drink and to frequent the establishments. The cash awarded was another reason to show-up and to "show-it-off."

2393674.jpg

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I started riding in 1964 on a Honda C110 (50cc, but not the cutaway) good for 55mph flat out. Quickly moved up to a CL72 Scrambler 250cc, then to a CB77 Super Hawk 305cc. Various others, Japanese and British, from 350 to 650cc, then a VF750C Honda Magna and finally my '85 Max.

The wife started in 1966 on a Honda Trail 90, and progressed through a 160, 250, 500, and now rides a Gold Wing trike.

great thread...

i started with a single cylinder suzuki savage ls 650. top speed 135 kph. rode the bike everywhere. wasnt fast enough to get me in trouble.

the max is my second.

peace,
evan....

Attachments

• mar 3 07 003.jpg
    mar 3 07 003.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
  • mar 3 07 011.jpg
    mar 3 07 011.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
First one was a 86 Honda V45, followed by 3 or 4 V65's, followed by an 1100 Virago (yuck) Then a several year break while making sure my daughter was gonna get to grow up with me, and now a Vmax.

Lotsa dirt bikes befoe all those, parents forbade street bikes, so the V45 came when I was 22 and out of college..

I remember that FT500 Ascot from an earlier post, awesome bike, wish I could find one, rode a friends in college and it was a neat bike......Would make a hell of a Thumper cafe bike foundation, the VT500 would be awesome too

First one was a 86 Honda V45, followed by 3 or 4 V65's, followed by an 1100 Virago (yuck) Then a several year break while making sure my daughter was gonna get to grow up with me, and now a Vmax.

Lotsa dirt bikes befoe all those, parents forbade street bikes, so the V45 came when I was 22 and out of college..

I remember that FT500 Ascot from an earlier post, awesome bike, wish I could find one, rode a friends in college and it was a neat bike......Would make a hell of a Thumper cafe bike foundation, the VT500 would be awesome too

I recently saw an inexpensive FT 500 locally, it was under $1K & looked to be in pretty-good shape. If you want, I'll try to locate it.

Not the one I was thinking of but it is cheap, not mine, nobody I know.

http://swmi.craigslist.org/mcy/2587117627.html
ASCOT FT500 - $475 (BRYAN OHIO)

great starter bike. starts every time shifts great 60 miles per gallon. 475 obo text 4194382496 will check email if you text before my phone messed up sorry

PostingID: 2587117627

Below is the one I saw before, looks complete. Not mine, nobodyI know.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/mcy/2614327797.html
http://images.craigslist.org/5Y45T25R43n53p43l3b9n5d5209bd53211b86.jpg
1983 Honda Ascot 500 Enduro - $700 (Kalamazoo)

Date: 2011-09-23, 9:02PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Not currently running, has little compression. Had it up and running this year and previous years. Solid bike, has never been crashed or wreaked. Needs a little TLC that I just don't have time for. Great body condition. I'm asking $700 but will be willing to make a offer. E-mail or Call 269-364-3706 John

First started riding a a 5 HP Tecumseh with a chopped front end at age 5 then a Yamaha 80 then a Hodaka super rat then a Penton 250 then a husquavarna 360 and you couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground with that one! Lol, I think that's what gave me so much practice doing wheelies! Then I started riding street bikes, first one was a honda 500 then went to a Honda 750 four with a 14" extended front end. Then bought a sportster then a buell cafe racer then my V65 magna after test riding one after I saw that commercial of it doing the 1/4 mile! I used to do exibitions riding wheelies on that even standing on the seat, oh yea, forgot my Triumph tiger 650 chopper before my magna. Then my Harley's 10th anniv. Low rider, softail custom and super glide but was missing something.. Oh yea, Horsepower!! So then I bought my Vmax and now here I am. Ed✨

I had a 1950 New Orleans police service cycle that my dad paid $50 bucks for at their auction when it came time to get a new fleet of motorcycles, this is a pic of one that has been restored......

Attachments

• 100387975_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    100387975_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
Bought a 68 Honda 125 twin street bike back in the early 70s, already abused with no front fender and a knobby on the back from a guy in the neighborhood for $50, my brother and I trail rode the heck out of that for a few years, had mini bikes before that but this was our first motorcycle, after buying it on the sly we did have to keep it at a friends house for a while until we convinced mom we were not going to kill ourselves.................:biglaugh:....................Tom.

imgres

1964 Norton Electra. Mine was Blue. I flipped it for double what I paid, but I still kind of wish I'd kept it.

Latest posts

Back