Buying my first Vmax.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it, I didn't expect so much info in such a short amount of time.

So about the price for the 88; $2300. Yay or nay?

:eusa_dance:
Thanks for the words of advice. Its not my intention to become a smear on the tarmac. Luckily I have plenty of gear so I should be relatively safe..err.

I am still leaning toward the cheapest option for a bike, is there really something glaringly bad about getting an old bike if one drives carefully?

I recognize issues regarding chassis flex and poor brakes. Otherwise anything else terrible?
Hi,
I just did the same thing, kinda.... wound up with an 85 with 24k miles, the test ride is what sold the bike to me ... Dang:punk: so gave an extra $250 to the guy (paid $2500, he wanted $3400, offered $2250 but...) and he delivered it to the house. that was in march I think.:ummm:
Problems I've had but didn't want to fix while I can still ride!!!:
-starter issue, slow starts, bought new one $100, still in box
-tune-up, wires, plugs, filters ($100, still in boxes)
-hydraulic clutch orings old (ordered rebuild $25 still in box), just bled clutch line every coupla months
-oil leaking from topside gaskets, - I'm thinking just old gaskets, need to order those so they can sit in a box too!!
-front and rear brakes I've replaced already ummmm... how'd that happen:biglaugh:
-so far I've bought 4 full face and one 3/4 helmet off craigslist ($120 investment total) :)
-autographed Jay Gleason poster (thanks Wendy!!) $50
-framed said poster for office $130 (thx hobby lobby:damn angry:)
- can't price the hours spent on this forum :rofl_200:
-also all the poor people on those bikes that you leave behind when they think they can compete:eusa_dance:

you'll get hooked, it's fun

if you get the old one, prolly loooking at another $500 to get to a dang nice but not perfect bike. of course there's always that monkey everyone is talking about:punk:

Welcome! I got my bike for a grand last august. Now she was in very NON-running shape; rusted out gas tank, battery with a hole in the side and corroded, busted starter solenoid, bald rear tire, dry rotted front tire, and break pads that crumbled in my hands.

So here I am a year later and about 400 bucks into the bike and she's running like a raped ape. I've dusted off the 250 ninja riders around town, every hardley guy i see, pretty anything I ass that's either a cruiser or sport bike under 650 I take down!

If you're still looking for a simple answer...to buy it or not...take it for a ride...it will answer the question for you...:whistlin:

If you're still looking for a simple answer...to buy it or not...take it for a ride...it will answer the question for you...:whistlin:

You guys are terrible, I hate buying with my heart and not by brain ;-)

Sadly the 88 was worse than the seller made it out to be. Looked like it was dropped. It had non factory bar ends, lid on the clutch master looked like it was chewed on, the alum scoops look much better paint wise than the faux tank which had peeling clear and various rust and scratches all over.

I guess ill keep looking.Ill try that guy up top with the 98 next.

This is what I dont like about the 06 with 22k miles for 5500.

You guys tell me whats wrong with it.

Thumbnails. Click for larger.

Click the pictures after the link opens for the fullest size version.

Looks like he left it outside all the time from the oxidation or peeling of the clear coat but then again I am not sure . I hope you find the bike that is good for you and Good Luck when you go look at that 98 Max , the pictures look good but you know what they say 20 mph at 20 ft and everything looks good . Maybe see if the guy with the 98 will e-mail some pictures before you go look at it , explain to him you have the cash and are very interested in the bike but do not want to waste his time or yours if it messed up like that 06 was . the least he could say is no . Just a thought. Later Kurt

Ive seen the pics of the 97, and it is a very sweet looking ride. Nobody on here could believe that he was selling it, he just finished getting it the way he wanted.

Looks like it has spent too much time in the elements, oxidation is setting in..........................

The marks on the right scoop of the '06 are most likely some crap he had dangling from the ignition key and like the other guys said, it's been left outside. This guy didn't respect his v max....I doubt it was maintained very well....I'd avoid it!

Don't know the '97 personally but he's a forum member and just finished the bike....put a lot of money in a Stage 7 (I think) and dyno tuning at PCW and it posted some impressive numbers. It would be worth a look I would think.

Like anything in life , you get what you pay for...do your homework and KNOW what you want . :thumbs up:

Don't know the '97 personally but he's a forum member and just finished the bike....put a lot of money in a Stage 7 (I think) and dyno tuning at PCW and it posted some impressive numbers. It would be worth a look I would think.

According to his profile hes up by Clifton Park NY, its 3 hours away. :(

he seems motivated to sell. maybe would meet you halfway.

I can drive up there but the price has to be right to make it worth the trip. If I am going that far I aint coming home empty handed.

Problem is deciding which to go after, his or the 98 in new jersey. They are practically identical except for color, mileage and asking price.

Latest posts

Back