Lowering RPM's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
Hi guys-

A few questions..

Got Jon's 4-2 SlashCuts and what I think is a decent tune. Four Jets have been added and many (23) Dyno runs have put a HUGE grin on my face. I turn heads and even win over guys who hate loud Pipes. When I'm on the Highway however, she f---ken screams like a machine gunner MOFO. The drone is really crazy at 100kms/h+ and about 5200RPM. I've read that there's an OD and a larger rear wheel can help. But how much will it actually lower the RPM's? I plan on investing in Seans kit eventually and my Tuner said he can squeeze another 8HP. Will going with a Kit also help with RPM (keeping it lower)? Thanks!!
Aside from Seans Kit, I'm guessing Wheels would be an overall good investment, for many reasons....

-KarmaKatt-

What is your horsepower right now

Ive been told 119.6HP w/80 Torque. Zaid Saleemi from Z1, a local shop, is a top notch fella and a hell of a Pro tuner. He had a f--k of a time with Jons Pipes hoping he could get it to where he really wanted it but in the end finally admitted that a Kit would be needed to get her VMaxximized..
So it'll be back in the shop in the Fall I'm guessing :)

@ karmakatt,
A Venture Final Drive might be what you want (you'll be about 500 RPM lower but also lose some of the VMax Power):
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13946
or IMO your best bet would be some different (quieter) Baffles for those Pipes.

I actually put the Caps back on my Supertrapps for that same reason.
They sounded Great at low speeds or around town but Running at 60-80 MPH for any length of time they got to be pretty irritating.

@ Mike
He said he's putting out 119 HP with those UFOs and the Stock Airbox:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=304623&postcount=10

I don't mind the sound per say, but reducing the scream at highway speeds.. Otherwise I love the sound. Just seems the Max doesn't enjoy the Highway so much..
I'll look into previous posts however..

Brian aka Redbone had some good things to say about Sean's OD (5th) Gear.

I had a quick read on that exact post recently but the more I read the more things start to make sense.. Seems like I could get some more gains with a Kit AND invest in the OD. I probably wouldn't notice a drop due to the OD after I get his Kit. It's cool how this stuff all works together so well!!

With the OD 5th gear from Sean, you'll still have great acceleration in 1st through 4th but 5th will be a taller gear so it won't have the same acceleration as stock but it will lower your RPMs at highway speeds quite a bit.

Sounds just like what the Doctor ordered.. Very cool.. Keep the sound, the racing power and calm the savage Highway Monkey!!

I had a quick read on that exact post recently but the more I read the more things start to make sense.. Seems like I could get some more gains with a Kit AND invest in the OD. I probably wouldn't notice a drop due to the OD after I get his Kit. It's cool how this stuff all works together so well!!
Be prepared to have every other Vmax your riding with to walk away from you when you shift into 5th! 1 - 4 is great to play but when you get in with a bunch of Vmax's speeds head into the 130+ mph range. I have a full exhaust and a jet kit for comparison. 5200 rpm in 5th @ 62 mph that seems high if I read that right, in 5th OD I would be at 3000 rpm at 60 mph. Is that what stock gearing runs? It sounds more like 4th gear to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked the tall fifth gear and the instances where it put me at an disadvantage were few but one notable one was at the Spring Icebreaker in 2010 or 2011.

With the OD 5th gear from Sean, you'll still have great acceleration in 1st through 4th but 5th will be a taller gear so it won't have the same acceleration as stock but it will lower your RPMs at highway speeds quite a bit.
It works great on the freeway for long trips, I got 46 mpg once on the return trip from Thunder '11, albeit I was in Canada and driving much slower than I would normally.

It sounds and feels high. I'm going to hit the highway after work tomorrow so I'll double check but I'm not too far off. I was surprised actually.
But now, again, I have things to thInk about..

RPMs with Stock Gears and Tire Sizes are listed here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=114164&postcount=4
Those numbers are pretty much in line with mine, I also have Stock Tires sizes and Final Drive and Gears.
I was running 70-72 the other day at about 4600 RPMs.

PS
I attached a picture of the VMax Acceleration Specs from CycleWorld.

Attachments

• VMax_Acceleration_Specs.jpg
    VMax_Acceleration_Specs.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 29
You can cruise around at 6000 RPM all day. The engine is up to the task.

Check out some tire size calulators. 17 or 18" wheels aren't going to help much with lowering rpm.

The venture diff swap is the cheapest easiest way to lower rpm. You drop rpm in every gear though.

I like the idea of the OD 5th gear but don't think I would do that work unless I had a bigger motor putting out some decent hp to pull the gear. That JMO though.

Seans jet kit is a nice stepup. If you are going to install and dyno it, it would be pretty cool to see a new baseline run and a run with the kit installed back to back.

Thx guys.!!! There's so much too learn with even more choices.. I don't think I'd be a fan of reducing RPM's in all gears so Seans OD sounds better and better.. However, I've promised Rick to get one of his Seats, than I'll grab Seans Carb Kit. It'll be a while before I get the OD but it'll be something to shoot for. I'll absoutly post my current set-up with Jons Pipes and Stoking Air Box as a Baseline and the difference Seans Kit makes. Wont be till the Fall, but I'll get the current Dyno Runs downloaded onto a memory stick within a week or so and post them as well. And.. A pic/video.

One more question..
Would installing/modding your AirBox (w/Jets and GOOD tune) with Seans Kit or a STG 7 possibly lower your Highway RPM's?? Do you get more power with less work? And if so, how much?

-KarmaKatt-

One more question..
Would installing/modding your AirBox (w/Jets and GOOD tune) with Seans Kit or a STG 7 possibly lower your Highway RPM's?? Do you get more power with less work? And if so, how much?

-KarmaKatt-
That would have NO effect on your RPM's.
But it should get you a few extra HP (6-10 HP) over the Stock Air Box you are using now with your UFO exhaust.

One more question..

-KarmaKatt-

Only if you attach a tow-rope to the vehicle in-front of you and shut-off the engine...:rofl_200:

FYI, if you haven't seen this thread before, complete w/mortal-wounding preserved in video format:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno+dilemma
:bang head::bang head::bang head::confused2::damn angry::damn angry:

The only way that i know to lower rpm on a vmax is gearing and it will cost you. Sean trans mod should do it.

Only if you attach a tow-rope to the vehicle in-front of you and shut-off the engine...:rofl_200:

FYI, if you haven't seen this thread before, complete w/mortal-wounding preserved in video format:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno+dilemma
:bang head::bang head::bang head::confused2::damn angry::damn angry:
WOW, I just read all that.
That really sucks, but I've seen it happen before.
But that is exactly why I chose NOT to Dyno my Bike at thunder last year since I rode it there and wanted to be sure I could ride it home.

PS
Now I feel a little bad about giving you crap about those Lithium Batteries.

Back