Going to try 87 this tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93max

Reaction score
Well the fuel lights on and rode on reserve for a tiny bit so after reading that 87 is the way to go I'm going to try it.
When I was doing the shotgun I had my son read the fake tank lid and he said I "think" 91 octane or higher.
I'm at work but will look again this afternoon to recheck it.
Is it possible it said 91 or higher RON rating and he missed it?
This is on my 93.
Thanks,

Chris

Well the fuel lights on and rode on reserve for a tiny bit so after reading that 87 is the way to go I'm going to try it.
When I was doing the shotgun I had my son read the fake tank lid and he said I "think" 91 octane or higher.
I'm at work but will look again this afternoon to recheck it.
Is it possible it said 91 or higher RON rating and he missed it?
This is on my 93.
Thanks,

Chris

89 under the faux tank

I don't think I have ever put Hi-Test fuel in my Bike. It runs just fine on the least expensive regular gas I can find.

Doesn't matter. Run what you want but they will run just fine on 87.

I dont like high test because people dont buy as much which equals sitting in the tank (ground) for long periods of time. Mine runs just fine on 87 anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ran a tank through it today. No issues.
Will check the plugs for pepper.
Force of habit with the Nova.

This is not the Nova. We run the big bore engines on 87 with no issues and a lot more compression then your Noval is able to run. The cylinder heads on these bikes are far more efficient then about any aftermarket head you can get for the V8's!

This is not the Nova. We run the big bore engines on 87 with no issues and a lot more compression then your Noval is able to run. The cylinder heads on these bikes are far more efficient then about any aftermarket head you can get for the V8's!

My main concern is I have no Idea how much and how fast timing comes in on it.
That was why I commented on looking for detonation.
As for my Nova, (10.5:1 too) it doesn't have a curve. It's at 38* from the moment it starts.
It's cylinder heads are pretty good too.
The proper Quench (mines at .039") area is just as important WITH combustion chamber shape to fight detonation.
As you know, a hole could be put in a piston with 8.5:1 compression and the incorrect quench.
just for the record, I put 10gal of 87 in my nova yesterday and took her for a rip.
Zero detonation, converter locked.
Will I gamble it at WOT for 10 seconds at the track, NO.
Thanks for the info.

87 still contains ethanol correct? At least at most of the stations in my area the pumps say they contain it. There are some stations that don't have it in their fuel, but I use an app for that lol. Sometimes, it gets what's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87 still contains ethanol correct? At least at most of the stations in my area the pumps say they contain it. There are some stations that don't have it in their fuel, but I use an app for that lol. Sometimes, it gets what's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it's available in Nj.
Would be nice tho.

I would think that yamaha figured out timing curves when they built the bike to do one thing, go faster thsn everything else. Then sgain, this was before shit gas. So i understand what youre saying. I work at an airport and fbo is always happy to hook me up with 100LL

I would think that yamaha figured out timing curves when they built the bike to do one thing, go faster thsn everything else. Then sgain, this was before shit gas. So i understand what youre saying. I work at an airport and fbo is always happy to hook me up with 100LL

This is true.

Back