New 1st gen owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

certz656

Reaction score
Hi... I recently purchased a 2005 Max, its the bike I've always wanted but never owned. I call it my bucket bike, I bought it from the original owner, he got it to ride with his son but now his son is into rock crawlers so the bike was garaged for the last 3 years. It's only been down once when his wife was getting off and he got over balanced and layed it over, the right side pipe has minor scratches and a mark on the right side clutch cover from the brake pedal being pushed into it. He did ride quite a bit for first few years, it has 33k on it now but only 800 mi in the last 3 years. Last night I changed the oil, Rotella 15-40 and performed a coolant change, taking it to a local bike mechanic for a valve adjustment soon, not cheap to do, and he'll tune the carbs and flush the hydr clutch fluid. So far I've used the forum to mined a lot of info that will come in handy.. thanks Mike

Congrats on the bike. This place has all the info you could ever need to do pretty much anything you can think of. Careful about guys "tuning the carbs". You might see if there's a local Vmax guy with a carbtune that could come sync them. Lots of people get into these carbs and end up messing things up.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Welcome your in the right place, had mine about a month and loving it. Loads of great info and people here!!

New owner here, also wanted one the day they came out in 85, so I have to ask what did you think the 1st time you boosted? G.

Lots of people get into these carbs and end up messing things up.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Yep, there are quite a few stories on here, of carbs being rebuilt by Gurus, and they didnt know what they were doing.

Congrats on the bike.

First time I hit boost was on the test ride. I immediately turned around, went back to the dealer, and signed the papers..

Thanks for the advice on the carbs, the mechanic I refer too used to run a Yamaha shop and rides a Venture, basically the same motor, so I hope he knows the ins and out on Vmax carbs, I think he does. I will also have him change out the brake fluids too. As to getting into the Vboost, it is awesome, just don't get into it in turn, almost biffed it. I've had numerous street bikes, KZ's mostly, Gold Wing, KH 500 triple, Yamaha 750 Triple and so on. The closest power wise was my GPZ 750 Turbo but it still doesn't have the pull of the Vmax. Currently I have a 2017 Victory Octane, it too has quite a bit of power for a 1200cc V-Twin but still no Vmax. My last few bikes have been somewhat cruisers, Octane and Victory Vision so the riding position is going to take some getting to, again. Thanks again for all the advice and I'll look forward to following this forum... Mike

Thanks for the advice on the carbs, the mechanic I refer too used to run a Yamaha shop and rides a Venture, basically the same motor, so I hope he knows the ins and out on Vmax carbs, I think he does.
That'll make a big difference. You're gonna love it.

Back