Got a project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice little project ya got going here. :clapping:

When I saw the first pics it reminded me a little ofone of my favorite bikes I had when I was 16. :eusa_dance:

Yamaha 700 Maxim X!! :punk:

123.jpg

121.jpg

These X's were a great little bike!! I bought one new in '85, the maroon one, and loved it. Smooth and quick...wish I still had it. Yamaha made the Maxum for quite a few years but only made the 5 valve model in '85 & '86...I never could figure out why. :ummm:

These X's were a great little bike!! I bought one new in '85, the maroon one, and loved it. Smooth and quick...wish I still had it. Yamaha made the Maxum for quite a few years but only made the 5 valve model in '85 & '86...I never could figure out why. :ummm:

No kidding....That motor was stout!! My dealer here says if they still made that bike he could sell them all day long!! :clapping:

Got a late start on it tonight. Got over to Jason's after he was done with his running and got the other down tube fab'd and welded up. I'm not happy with my welding after 8+ years of not doing it, and re-teaching myself on round tube is more difficult than I thought it would be. I'm going to be doing a lot of grinding and probably having Jason finish the welds. Mine are structural and getting good penetration, just not pretty at all. Anyway, snapped some more photos with the phone.
downsized_0318092235.jpg

downsized_0318092245.jpg

downsized_0318092243.jpg

downsized_0318092244.jpg

Kind of what it'll shape up like, but not really haha.
0318092257.jpg

Got the tank mount in, bent the flange on the tank down to mount it, got a battery box done but not mounted, got one of the rear fender mounts done, and got the engine/trans out for a clean/paint/gasket/stainless bolt kit. Should have the engine/trans painted and all the hardware on this weekend and I hope to have my forward controls here too.
downsized_0324092038.jpg

0324092252.jpg

downsized_0325092145.jpg

0325092224.jpg

The build is being done on the cheap. I should have well under $1500 in the whole thing including the purchase of the bike. All it takes is time and tools, little funds needed. :D

That's gonna be AWESOME......:eusa_dance:

I might have to try that someday!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Good job so far, QH. Looks like you know what you're doing. Wish I had your skills, man. Don't come near my bike though. No offense.

Thanks guys! Skills? Not so sure but I think it'll be safe/strong enough. :D

I got over last night to work on it a little. I'm still brainstorming on exactly what I want for pieces and a look.
Got the battery mount fabbed. My old man is going to bend me up a cover for it.
0327092347.jpg

Pulled the gauges and headlight as I'm not using the stock light, and running no gauges or just a small speedo, all depending on money. I like how clean it will be up top without the bulky stock cluster.
downsized_0327092345.jpg

downsized_0328090142.jpg

Just for a size comparo I put the bike at ride height. Behind it is a project a friend of mine is getting ready to start in a '77 Goldwing
0328090048.jpg

Another size comparo, I'm 6'0" 270lbs. I may look a tad big on it, but I don't care. :D
downsized_0328090042.jpg

That is looking like one sweet little hot rod!!!!

I would LOVE a bike like that!!!!

I think I would make it black and loud....

When ya get it done I'll trade ya:biglaugh:

Haha yeah I'm blacking the whole bike out with some bits of polished stainless and I'm going to make a chrome sissy bar for it. As far as loud, It's staying open header with a turn out on it. :D

Haha yeah I'm blacking the whole bike out with some bits of polished stainless and I'm going to make a chrome sissy bar for it. As far as loud, It's staying open header with a turn out on it. :D

Sounds nice.....BLACK and LOUD.....

What else is there?????:ummm:

Oh....wait.....Carbon Fiber is kinda cool too!!!:eusa_dance:

,I saw an 82 for sale yesterday for a grand, but it was a 750 I believe. Bike is pretty clean, and by the looks of the place I would guess the price is real negotiable.:biglaugh:

Is this kind of thing easier with a chain drive instead of a shaft??

Or does it not matter......:ummm:

DAMMIT.....now I'm thinkin' again......Wife's gonna be MAD!!!!:biglaugh:

I don't think it matters, but shaft angle may come into play but I doubt it. We're going to find out with mine. I had to clearance the top of the shaft mounting flange to the case as the shaft flange was rubbing the top.

I'm painting the motor right now, just inside waiting for the first coat to dry! :D

Latest posts

Back