Chirping/ Squeeking noise At 3k rpm?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowmax

Reaction score
Been riding around and found a slight but really annoying squeeking noise riding at 3000 rpm. Doesn't matter what gear. Anyone have this? Thanks!

Been riding around and found a slight but really annoying squeeking noise riding at 3000 rpm. Doesn't matter what gear. Anyone have this? Thanks!

Owning as many as i have probably the noisiest bikes i've ever owned-:confused2:
Pull in the clutch and it get quieter-:clapping:
Squeaking covers a lot of ground-Check and oil your speedometer first.:clapping:

I had a squeak on my max, but I found it was coming from the speedo cable. I simply detracted it and forced some bearing grease down the cable. I put a rubber plug in the rotating part of the speedo itself, then forced grease from around the outer lip, forcing grease into the housing. A little messy but it worked.

Thank You for the input Everyone!

It helps others to know what the problem was so please get back to the members if anything helped or if you found the solution. I know in the short time i have been here that information is priceless.:clapping:

For the speedo cables, I usually use some PB Blaster with the cable in, ride it a bit and then remove the cable from the housing, and thoroughly-flush the cable housing until I stop getting rusty lube and perhaps bits of rust out of it. I usually will use my air hose/rubber tip to blast any residual crud out, use a good wheel bearing grease on the cable, re-insert it into the housing, re-attach it all, and go for a noise-free ride.

Sometimes you notice the meter needle jumping before it seizes and breaks, alerting you to the problem needing lubrication after cleaning. As I recall from my days of riding starting in the 1960's, broken cables of all types were much-more common before the advent of hydraulics. I dunno, maybe the metallurgy is better? Also, the slimmer nature of a speedo or (in the old days) a tach cable under a constant drive load is probably different from the vigorous use a drum brake cable or clutch cable gets.

This is from a bicycle cable shifter operated by a handlebar twist grip, but you get the picture. I used to have a KZ 1000 that because of the very short, stubby handlebars it had, put the clutch cable at a bad position, and they would quickly fray and fatigue the steel strands in a couple months. It got so that I would recognize the difference in clutch resistance, as the strands broke, and take it off the road for another replacement.

STI+cable+fix+03.jpg

Back