VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.

I am tired.

I just read this thread...

No Bel Ray engine oil lovers out there?

Just wondering what to use for my first oil change and that is a widely sold MC oil locally.

Brian

Hi.

I am tired.

I just read this thread...

No Bel Ray engine oil lovers out there?

Just wondering what to use for my first oil change and that is a widely sold MC oil locally.

Brian

Shell Rotella 15W40 or 5W40 all day long. Run a Mobil 1 M-110 filter. Many max users use this combination. Check out the VMF links for the oil info.

Rotella has a decent amount of zinc which is great for the transmission.

Chris

Of course, shell does not make a MC specific oil, so this a car/truck oil. No issues with you guys at all, eh?

I run Castrol Syntec in the Subaru's with excellent results since M1 changed their cocktail...But that's another forum.

I research crap to death before I pull the trigger.

BITOG.com I frequent also.

Brian

Of course, shell does not make a MC specific oil, so this a car/truck oil. No issues with you guys at all, eh?

I run Castrol Syntec in the Subaru's with excellent results since M1 changed their cocktail...But that's another forum.

I research crap to death before I pull the trigger.

BITOG.com I frequent also.

Brian

No issues what so ever. It's a great oil. I use Mobil 1 15,000 mile in my Subie 2.5 T and my G8GT. It's a true synthetic. Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic. It's a VERY pure dino oil with synthetic additives. Castrol Edge IS a true synthetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY

Torco racing oil 10w40 $20.00 a litre 90,000 km 'first 70,000 were literally wide open ! bike doesn't smoke or use any oil , just as fast as new if not faster !!!!!!!!the only time it uses 4 ounces of oil is when i run to sturgis wide open there and back 3000 km and put on 2000 km while there 'so 4 ounces between changes ! 4 ounces 5000 km '3000 wide open . no complaints.

ok i have a basic question:

What is the oil capacity of a 1200cc vmax?? My guess is 3.8 liters

Just did my 1st oild change on a vmax as well as added a new oil filter. But for safe reasons i added 3.5 liters

Just did my 1st oild change on a vmax as well as added a new oil filter. But for safe reasons i added 3.5 liters

I don't get it - if your guess is 3.8L, how is 3.5 safe?

To get it right, as per the manual, fill it up, start the bike, warm the motor up.

Then switch off, put the bike on center stand, let oil drain for a few minutes then check the level through the oil window on the right side of the engine. It should be almost at the top - next to the 'full' line.

i usually get 3.4 to the top notch on the glass.

I don't get it - if your guess is 3.8L, how is 3.5 safe?

To get it right, as per the manual, fill it up, start the bike, warm the motor up.

Then switch off, put the bike on center stand, let oil drain for a few minutes then check the level through the oil window on the right side of the engine. It should be almost at the top - next to the 'full' line.

i dont have the oil level indicator... when i opened the cap, there was just a hollow hole... thats y im confused...

I started it after filling it up and "oil" light didnt turn on...

The oil light will come on under hard acceleration - that's normal.

So you have no sight glass in the oil window? That's a little scary, what happened to it?

I guess we could measure the oil level from the filler cap while on center stand..

The oil light will come on under hard acceleration - that's normal.

So you have no sight glass in the oil window? That's a little scary, what happened to it?

I guess we could measure the oil level from the filler cap while on center stand..

i bought it that way rescently... i guess 3.5 liters will do just fine??

By the way, is there an easier way of putting the vmax on center stand, instead of 2 people doing it??

i bought it that way rescently... i guess 3.5 liters will do just fine??
Let's hope so.. You don't wanna overfill either - that blows gaskets..

By the way, is there an easier way of putting the vmax on center stand, instead of 2 people doing it??

Yea, it's pretty easy with one person. Stand on the left of the bike, make sure the bars are straight. Put your right foot on the center stand, and make sure you feel both sides of the stand on the ground. Grab the bike with your right hand under the seat, and your left hand on the handle bars. Then in one motion, press down hard with your foot, pull up with your right hand, and pull back with your left hand. The bike will swing on the stand pretty effortlessly.

WARNING: if your bike has been lowered this will not work! Do you have the OEM rear shocks? If not are the replacements 13" long? Have your front forks been dropped in the tripple trees? In either case, the only way to get your bike on its stand on your own will be to drive the rear wheel onto a plank of adequate height. :punk:

Let's hope so.. You don't wanna overfill either - that blows gaskets..

Yea, it's pretty easy with one person. Stand on the left of the bike, make sure the bars are straight. Put your right foot on the center stand, and make sure you feel both sides of the stand on the ground. Grab the bike with your right hand under the seat, and your left hand on the handle bars. Then in one motion, press down hard with your foot, pull up with your right hand, and pull back with your left hand. The bike will swing on the stand pretty effortlessly.

WARNING: if your bike has been lowered this will not work! Do you have the OEM rear shocks? If not are the replacements 13" long? Have your front forks been dropped in the tripple trees? In either case, the only way to get your bike on its stand on your own will be to drive the rear wheel onto a plank of adequate height. :punk:

thanx for advice, by bike is bone stock... but not for long though...

thanx for advice, by bike is bone stock... but not for long though...

my forks have been dropped in the tripple trees and you can still do NG's method, no problem. just remember to push down with your foot a lot as you have more weight going there.

also the vmax doesn't have a dipstick. if you look on the right of the engine at the verry bottom near the front, there is a sight glass. has an upper and a lower line. if the whole glass is black when on the center stand its a bit too full.

i dont have the oil level indicator... when i opened the cap, there was just a hollow hole... thats y im confused...

I started it after filling it up and "oil" light didnt turn on...

There isn't a dipstick on this bike. You look through the site glass on the bottom front right side of the engine to see the oil level.

One foot on the center stand a hand where a passenger would hold on to the grab bar and another on the left grip of the bar and heave... Push DOWN on the stand when pulling up.

Chris

Well thanks to my new friends here on the site, I changed my oil to Shell Rotella T and the Max likes it. 15w40. Oh, and I got the 4 Quarter' @ Wally World for $11.99

Then the next day I was in awe, $9.99 @ Advance Auto Parts for the same oil. That is a deal.

Brian

Oil

So maybe I don't know how to use the search properly but I did try before posting this.

I was just wondering what oil everyone uses/recommends. I did a little search online looks like some people just run standard automotive oil in the Vmax. Anyone had problems with this? Its cheaper but I figure there must be a reason. Are there different or more additives in motorcycle specific oils?

Re: Oil

im using Rotella 15W40 and seems to be working just fine. lots of others are also using the stuff also.

Re: Oil

I've used rotella T 15/40 synth and valvoline 10/40 max life synthetic blend, with no problems what so ever. I change my oil every spring, so about every 1500-2500 miles, depending on the riding season and my chances to ride up here.

Latest posts

Back