Sick of looking at flaking paint!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seem to be a posting whore lately, but I got a shit load of questions. My engine/bike in general needs a lot of detailing. I am planning on removing the black paint from the engine with paint remover and painting it flat black, just leaving the factory polished parts as is.

Question 1: What paint remover and what paint to use once I get the old stuff off.
2: My air scoops have a few imperfections and scratches in them, what is the best way to remove this - wet sand and buff:ummm: ?
3: The remainder polished pieces that are flaking and or scratched, do I wet sand and buff, or does it have a clear coat on it and if so what do you suggest:hmmm: ?

As always I appreciate the advice.:cheers:

I seem to be a posting whore lately, but I got a shit load of questions. My engine/bike in general needs a lot of detailing. I am planning on removing the black paint from the engine with paint remover and painting it flat black, just leaving the factory polished parts as is.

Question 1: What paint remover and what paint to use once I get the old stuff off.
See answer to two...
2: My air scoops have a few imperfections and scratches in them, what is the best way to remove this - wet sand and buff:ummm: ? Auto Zone sells a aerosol stripper called airplane or something like that. My buddy has used it on his Max parts and loves it. I have used regular Lowes bought gel paint stripper and it worked great as well..

3: The remainder polished pieces that are flaking and or scratched, do I wet sand and buff, or does it have a clear coat on it and if so what do you suggest:hmmm: ? They have a clear coat on them so shoot them again with the stripper and then polish... You can start with a 1000 grit and work your way to 2000 wet paper and then polish or just polish...

As always I appreciate the advise.:cheers:

See RED above M8!:thumbs up:

walmart sells the aircraft stripper too...cheaper tho!
works great.....watch for flash rust!

Yeah but then he'd have to give Wal-Mart his money...

I say DOWN with Wally World...

Running all the small service oriented guys out of town...

:bang head:

I used a product called softstrip and it worked awesome. It is gentle enough for brass, aluminum ect.... and it is also a gel. Cost me $ 8 CND. You will need to polish with the felt bobs and polishing compounds ( sticks ). I had to push hard to really get the very small scratches out and put a smooth enough finish to see my reflection and mock the chrome look. Talk to Sean (one2dmax) - he has chrome exchange program. Chrome is the way to go if you like that look. You will most likely get imperfections as I did. These marks look like what you would see if you had an oil spot on the driveway and you poured water on them. That is the best way that I can describe it. I know it is confusing, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you see them in the metal. You can't get it out !!! Don't waste your time trying as I did. ( I suffer with a perfection disorder )

I left mine RAW - no clear coat - I tried it with clear coat and it sucked.....but gleno on the forum did his with clear coat and was very happy with them. I may try his method later but for now I just cover them with mothers rim polish and then a couple of coats of a good wax.

It takes longer than you think so prepare to have some downtime !

Good luck. :coolgleamA:

Attachments

• DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 15
I used a product called softstrip and it worked awesome. It is gentle enough for brass, aluminum ect.... and it is also a gel. Cost me $ 8 CND. You will need to polish with the felt bobs and polishing compounds ( sticks ). I had to push hard to really get the very small scratches out and put a smooth enough finish to see my reflection and mock the chrome look. Talk to Sean (one2dmax) - he has chrome exchange program. Chrome is the way to go if you like that look. You will most likely get imperfections as I did. These marks look like what you would see if you had an oil spot on the driveway and you poured water on them. That is the best way that I can describe it. I know it is confusing, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you see them in the metal. You can't get it out !!! Don't waste your time trying as I did. ( I suffer with a perfection disorder )

I left mine RAW - no clear coat - I tried it with clear coat and it sucked.....but gleno on the forum did his with clear coat and was very happy with them. I may try his method later but for now I just cover them with mothers rim polish and then a couple of coats of a good wax.

It takes longer than you think so prepare to have some downtime !

Good luck. :coolgleamA:

I know what you're saying... Those scoops are not the best metal and almost look to be pot metal... When you polish it up you can see differences in color of the metal. I believe that's why they are brushed from the factory and not polished...:ummm:

Chroming is the best way, or painting. I was thinking about black chrome or spraying them with a candy black so you could see the aluminum underneath but yet was black... Of course I am anti-chrome and have removed a lot of what was chrome on my bike, which wasn't a lot to begin with...

Latest posts

Back