Yamaha FZ-10

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why really, but I dig this bike!

U7QYQOL.jpg

I know it's not a cruiser but I like that it has a more upright riding position than say an R1 would have. It has plenty of juice as well. I think it'd be fun to ride.

I've read that people say that it's ugly, looks like a bug or a Transformer, lol. I like it despite it being different looking.

Anyone here have one or have ridden one? I am curious about the power it has. I've read that it has 140ish HP and I've read that it has 160ish. Either way I am sure it pulls at least as hard as my Max I'm guessing. It's also a lot lighter so I bet it's not too shabby and I already know it handles better. I know it doesn't have the "soul" that our maxes have but I bet it'd put a big stupid damn grin on my face!

I am trying to stop myself from buying one, lol. I need another payment about as much as I need a colonoscopy :rofl_200:

I rode one about a week ago. Wasn't impressed. I like the sound of that new cross plane I4, but riding it back to back with an R1, the motor felt very neutered.
It's plenty fast. Fairly comfortable. I really like the cruise control, but knowing what the motor could have/should have, felt like, just left me feeling let down and bored.

I rode one about a week ago. Wasn't impressed. I like the sound of that new cross plane I4, but riding it back to back with an R1, the motor felt very neutered.
It's plenty fast. Fairly comfortable. I really like the cruise control, but knowing what the motor could have/should have, felt like, just left me feeling let down and bored.

Did you change it to the "Aggressive" mode? Every review I've read on this bike, they LOVE it. They said it has more mid range and torque than the R1, was a much better street bike, easier to ride. The R1 is obviously a better track bike.

Did you change it to the "Aggressive" mode? Every review I've read on this bike, they LOVE it. They said it has more mid range and torque than the R1, was a much better street bike, easier to ride. The R1 is obviously a better track bike.

Yes
And ridden back to back the R 1 had more power everywhere

Let me add my view point too.
I'm not a moto journalist, and my job is not effected by advertising dollars.
I typically ride an Aprilia RSV1000R, which is a vtwin sportbike.
I rode the FZ looking for a more comfortable R1, and it's not. It is completely different.
Ultimately my "perfect" motorcycle would be a chassis like the FZ, with the character of the V Max, that doesn't have the price tag of a new Tuonno.
The FZ motor is de-tuned. They can call it "tuned for torque " all they want, but it just feels slower.......everywhere. In addition, its gearing is completely different. Now no one needs to run 85-95mph in 1st gear, but that's what I'm used to. I ride the roads in KY we like to drag knee on in 2nd, or 3rd gear and can " ride the torque curve" never needing to shift gears, or use much brake, just controlling everything with the throttle and engine breaking.

The FZ 10 has less power, and a revised transmission gear ratio, that puts you doing those fun roads in a higher gear, where you have less power or acceleration.

Add to that, the motor just seemed to lack character in general.

Had I not rode the two bikes, back to back, I'd probably like the FZ better, but instead I left disappointed knowing what the FZ could have felt like.

By comparison the cross plane R1 pulls harder than my V Twin down low, and utterly stomps it at full rip, sounds amazing, and just oozed character. But it's a hard core sportbike.

The FZ may be a good alternative to a V Max for some, but I can't see it in addition to, a V Max, as the only thing it does better, is go around a corner. Neither of which would be my choice for that job.

Who knows what might be on the market in a few years. Kawasaki keeps promising a slew of street-oriented bikes with superchargers, and Polaris insists within 5 years Indian will expand beyond the cruiser segment. A sporty naked with the Scout's v-twin motor has the potential to be a lot of fun, although since Polaris also owns a lot of KTM, I'm guessing it will be something aimed more toward the adventure or dual-sport markets.

Let me add my view point too.
I'm not a moto journalist, and my job is not effected by advertising dollars.
I typically ride an Aprilia RSV1000R, which is a vtwin sportbike.
I rode the FZ looking for a more comfortable R1, and it's not. It is completely different.
Ultimately my "perfect" motorcycle would be a chassis like the FZ, with the character of the V Max, that doesn't have the price tag of a new Tuonno.
The FZ motor is de-tuned. They can call it "tuned for torque " all they want, but it just feels slower.......everywhere. In addition, its gearing is completely different. Now no one needs to run 85-95mph in 1st gear, but that's what I'm used to. I ride the roads in KY we like to drag knee on in 2nd, or 3rd gear and can " ride the torque curve" never needing to shift gears, or use much brake, just controlling everything with the throttle and engine breaking.

The FZ 10 has less power, and a revised transmission gear ratio, that puts you doing those fun roads in a higher gear, where you have less power or acceleration.

Add to that, the motor just seemed to lack character in general.

Had I not rode the two bikes, back to back, I'd probably like the FZ better, but instead I left disappointed knowing what the FZ could have felt like.

By comparison the cross plane R1 pulls harder than my V Twin down low, and utterly stomps it at full rip, sounds amazing, and just oozed character. But it's a hard core sportbike.

The FZ may be a good alternative to a V Max for some, but I can't see it in addition to, a V Max, as the only thing it does better, is go around a corner. Neither of which would be my choice for that job.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have not ridden an FZ, any of them. I've heard nothing but good about the 7, 9 and 10 but again, it's all opinions. I tend to trust real world people over magazines because they do know where their bread is buttered. I've watched tons of Youtube videos of average Joe's like us doing reviews, first rides and such and everyone loves the bike so that means a lot to a prospective buyer such as myself. There are similar bikes but I've always loved Yamaha, ever since I had my first one, a 1984 YZ 100!! That was a fun bike, wish I still had it to wreak havoc and tick off my asshole neighbors! Muhahahaha!

Back to the FZ, I do know that Yamaha themselves do say that it is a detuned R1 motor so I don't expect it's performance numbers to match the R1 which IS a super sport bike, not a Hyper Naked class so that's fine by me. Google tells me that the FZ-10 is actually quicker 0-60 than the R1 but 6/10s of a second slower in the 1/4 mile. I don't know how accurate any of that is but I do know that both of those bikes will outperform the V-Max quite easily and that's fine by me. For me, the Gen 1 Max has plenty of torque and power, I just want something more modern. ABS, Fuel Injected, a fuel gauge (lol!) and something that handles better. The FZ-10 is about 170 pounds lighter so that's a plus. I like the riding position infinitely better than the R1 or any other crotch rocket. For pleasure riding, in town riding or a work commute, the R1 is not going to beat it and that's not opinion, that's just common sense. Track day or in the twisties, well, that is another story. That's what the R1 was made to do!

I think the FZ will live up to MY expectations just fine. I may even get my wife an FZ-07 but probably won't due to them being torquey sonsabitches :rofl_200: They're little wheelie monsters and I've heard the 07s have severe engine braking that catches you by surprise, makes the back wheel slide in some cases. Other than that, she likes the upright riding position. That's why she liked my Vmax. She can't stand the forward controls of her Shadow.

At any rate, all input is appreciated! Thanks!

This is all just a dream right now, I have to stay the course and get my house in selling shape and THEN I can revisit this again but I'm all ears (eyes) to everyone's comments, keep'em coming!

I was just out with my daughter on the back of my '13 Venture for her 18 birthday ride and eats. She taps me on the shoulder, "It's nice on this bike dad, but nobody looks at us like when we are on the Vmax". Says IT ALL!
Certainly it'd kick the max ass in overall performance. The FZ doesn't have "the soul". Cool engine, but to me, it looks like a pile of parts bolted together. You know, like a 2050 Transformers bike; a futuristic cafe racer. Where's my hip laser?! It probably will excite younger riders for certain, not me though.

Yeah, I agree with you on most of that. I liked my max. I actually think it was the best looking one I'd seen but I am biased of course. I don't care about what people think of what I ride, I ride it for me, not them. The FZ is a lot like the max. When the V-Max came out, it was radical. Nothing looked like it. People loved it, people hated it and it pretty much stayed that way didn't it? I liked the max, I like the fz and if I get one, I'll share more about it when I ride it, whenever that may be. If I don't get one, I still like it. I think it's a slick bike, albeit strange looking. That's why I like it though, it stands out just as the Max stands out. It's not another cookie cutter bike.

Yeah, I agree with you on most of that. I liked my max. I actually think it was the best looking one I'd seen but I am biased of course. I don't care about what people think of what I ride, I ride it for me, not them. The FZ is a lot like the max. When the V-Max came out, it was radical. Nothing looked like it. People loved it, people hated it and it pretty much stayed that way didn't it? I liked the max, I like the fz and if I get one, I'll share more about it when I ride it, whenever that may be. If I don't get one, I still like it. I think it's a slick bike, albeit strange looking. That's why I like it though, it stands out just as the Max stands out. It's not another cookie cutter bike.

Just hurry up and go buy the damn FZ:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back