I went down last fall, need help getting back to 100%

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was cut off last fall and laid her down. I'm ok, thought the bike was ok... I probably forgot to stabilize the fuel after my accident so I'd like to blame the gas. I've siphoned and now I'm running the bike dry so I can start fresh. I did the shotgun method with the carbs on the bike and I believe I did a good job. The carbs looked great inside only 13000 KM on the bike. It idles ok without choke after warming up but the problem is when I give a bit of throttle (enough to hit 3000rpm) it gets stuck at 3000 rpm and never comes back down from that. Any help would be appreciated

sounds like your carbs linkage is hanging up. I would contact Sean he will know for sure what is going on.

To me, a high-revving idle is a sign of carbs needing balancing/synchronizing, assuming you've checked for no linkage issues.

Hey guys I was cut off last fall and laid her down. I'm ok, thought the bike was ok... I probably forgot to stabilize the fuel after my accident so I'd like to blame the gas. I've siphoned and now I'm running the bike dry so I can start fresh. I did the shotgun method with the carbs on the bike and I believe I did a good job. The carbs looked great inside only 13000 KM on the bike. It idles ok without choke after warming up but the problem is when I give a bit of throttle (enough to hit 3000rpm) it gets stuck at 3000 rpm and never comes back down from that. Any help would be appreciated

Check the idle screw tab on the carb. When these are laid over or dropped it will bend the tab and not let it return to idle.

Ok thanks for the suggestions I'm going to spend lots of time this weekend on it. I'll look for any damage I may have missed, linkages, all the rubber parts look ok but I'll check for vacuum leaks as well. When I cleaned the carbs I had to drill out the brass plugs and reset the screws to 2.5 out I believe. If they needed another turn out, could being too lean cause an rpm hang?

Nothing worse than an unresolved thread. I had a chance to tinker with the bike this weekend. I syphoned as much of the old gas out and added fresh fuel. I reseated the carbs to make sure the rubber seals were ok and checked linkages along the way. After turning the mixture screws out one rotation then syncing, it will now idle happily and when I rev to 3000 it no longer hangs. As soon as the rain quits I'll find out for sure. I would like to thank everyone for the help!

Nothing worse than an unresolved thread. I had a chance to tinker with the bike this weekend. I syphoned as much of the old gas out and added fresh fuel. I reseated the carbs to make sure the rubber seals were ok and checked linkages along the way. After turning the mixture screws out one rotation then syncing, it will now idle happily and when I rev to 3000 it no longer hangs. As soon as the rain quits I'll find out for sure. I would like to thank everyone for the help!

Do you think it was just turning the a/f mixture screws solved the problem?
Turn your handlebars in both directions from end to end with a little on the throttle to make sure it does not rise and hang before you go out after the rain. :clapping:

Finally got to go for a ride again. I'm having issues with my other V (CTS-V). Anyway, it seems I'll be cleaning the carbs again this weekend as it still hangs at 3000...but not every single time anymore. Makes for interesting shifting since the rpm won't drop haha. Feels like a semi-auto clutch. If cleaning it again doesn't solve it then I think I'll try the spare carbs I have off an older bike. Only problem is I have no clue what jets are in that set. I'll update progress as I go for those interested. And thanks again VMAX forum and members, if it weren't for sites and people like this I'd be much more frustrated in my repairs

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back