Bad Rectifier/Regulator?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's how I often do things, make the repair 'work,' and then do it for aesthetic considerations. I bet there are many members who followed your work and now are going to do the same thing.

I think I will definitely consider painting it Black. I was just ready to get it back together to see if things worked right.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wire nuts? Really? Get rid of that. Solder and shrink. What do some people think?!

PosiLock connectors work well, too, but I seal them up with a bit of heat shrink over them. They do make waterproof ones, too..

ordered a SH775 used. on it's way.

I'll need connectors, assuming this will suffice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-C...ash=item51ee8b4b35:g:NtIAAOSw5cNYGNPq&vxp=mtr

polaris part no. 4012941 is the SH775. there are many used available. so I think those connectors will work? just want to confirm before purchase.

also mentioned is putting in a fuse 30amp in-line? gonan have to find one of them .. anyone do a circuit breaker type ? like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30A-Inline-...648307?hash=item3d3276c033:g:5BwAAOSwjDZYl82k

thinkiing that may be cool.

anyting else I need? I got R/R coming, will order a fuse or circuit breaker for inline, got connectors coming if those are right... think they are... got shrink wrap,.. need wire, go get some 10 gauge?

I know you're competent to do this job, but I just sent you detailed advice on how to do this job.

Thank you everyone,. thanks Bill a ton!

Looking forward to getting to some upgrades. I'll try to put together my journey for others to source from with pics and details etc.

:punk:

Wire nuts? Really? Get rid of that. Solder and shrink. What do some people think?!

Agree, wire nuts are for connections of stationary nature. Not a vibrating moving bike. I generally follow the marine ABYC code when working on d.c systems, or any motorcycle system. You'll never go wrong.

No. That's a MOSFET unit. It is a lot better than the old shunt units, but the Series regulators are a lot better. Powersports Nation sells used SH775s for about $40. Polaris uses them in the Quads and Side By Sides. About $80.00 for a new one. You'll need the Furukawa connectors too. Get them on EBay or Amazon. I have my regulator connected to stator with PosiLock connectors.

No. That's a MOSFET unit. It is a lot better than the old shunt units, but the Series regulators are a lot better. Powersports Nation sells used SH775s for about $40. Polaris uses them in the Quads and Side By Sides. About $80.00 for a new one. You'll need the Furukawa connectors too. Get them on EBay or Amazon. I have my regulator connected to stator with PosiLock connectors.

Thanks Bill.

I pulled in to my driveway and my bike stalled last night. The battery ran down to where it couldn't keep the ignition running. I just put the second Mosfet regulator in and the dam thing appears dead. I wasn't hot like the last dud. Anyway, maybe the stator died. Out to check it in a few minutes. At least it was here when it croaked. I paid good money for this last R/R. It was charging up a storm when I installed it a couple of weeks ago. A volt gauge is getting ordered today also.
Steve-o

Steve, if you have a SAE connected to your battery you can get a volt meter to plug into that battery tender pigtail: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI262vxduY1wIVAodpCh3VfAY4EAQYASABEgLgj_D_BwE

I generally follow the marine ABYC code when working on d.c systems, or any motorcycle system. You'll never go wrong.

Never heard of this before.
I tried to check it out.
ABYC website wants $195.00 to download section E-11 which pertains to DC and AC electrical systems.

I'll just stick to crimping and soldering then covering with HD heatshrink.

Never heard of this before.
I tried to check it out.
ABYC website wants $195.00 to download section E-11 which pertains to DC and AC electrical systems.

I'll just stick to crimping and soldering then covering with HD heatshrink.

If you worked wiring any type of boat you'd have. But what you mentioned happens to be suggested connections anyway, Mike. If I locate my old manuals I'll post general suggestions. Wire sizing is available on Google today, as is most info needed.
It is the right and safe way of wiring. SAE specs are followed and noted in many ABYC wiring codes.

Latest posts

Back