Front fender/brace needed??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1261

Reaction score
Can you run a gen 1 Vmax without a front fender and more importantly, the brace that holds it? Or is it necessary to stop some wheel wobble? I am trying to put a bigger tire on the front and was wondering.

thanks

CvS

You need something to bolt to both forks for sure. You could make one with a higher relief in it, but it would take some doing. Also there are tabs for the brace to bolt to that will get in the way of most taller things.

Although I'm sure there are pics on here of drag bikes running without anything.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

90% of a Vmax wobble is not enough air in the front tire.
Guy tightening their steeringhead bearings, larger thicker fork braces, progressive springs----try this 41psi.:clapping:

Can you run a gen 1 Vmax without a front fender and more importantly, the brace that holds it? Or is it necessary to stop some wheel wobble? I am trying to put a bigger tire on the front and was wondering.

thanks

CvS
The vmax has enough issues that I wouldn't try running one without a fork brace. You could have one machined that would allow a taller wheel/fender combo to work. When I first got my 07 there was a wobble that you could feel when making a hard right hand turn. Once I went with a larger fork brace that issue went away. I don't know if the ultimate cause of the wobble was the forks being in a bind.....or if it needed the larger brace. But what ever the cause was.....the larger brace worked. So.....i wouldn't recommend running without it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

thanks

CvS

We've had discussion about if a thicker brace was beneficial or not. But no brace, like many already mentioned, would be asking for trouble. The forks need all the help they can get. Earlier being a bit more flimsy that later years. I added an extra brace to my forks, below the lower tree, and it's tightened up the forks very well.

It can be done but as mentioned you would be better to spacer up the fork brace and use stronger bolts.

Thanks for the replies guys. I got a 150 rear to fit nicely using just some sandpaper on the fender and love the look. I have an aftermarket wheel.

Here are some pics of the Shinko 777. Perhaps a 160 would've fit? But I am pretty happy.

Attachments

• vmax150front1.jpg
    vmax150front1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax150front2.jpg
    vmax150front2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax150front3.jpg
    vmax150front3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 23
Word of caution. This is NOT on a stock OEM front wheel! That is an aftermarket front (i'm going to guess 3 to 3.5" wide which the stock front is only 1.75" wide and in no way would a 150 fit worth a shit!)

Going that large is a 'looks-only' thing, as I cannot believe a 150 width would help the handling at-all. But, your bike, your look.

From what I know, a larger tire will slow the steering, and make the bike 'stand-up' especially if trail-braking into a corner.

You need a front brace of some-sort, either an extended stocker, as Sean Morley mentioned, or a custom one designed to provide you the clearance you need. I wouldn't want to run even a dragbike without a front brace, the pound in weight you lose won't be worth the loss in handling especially if you get 'the shimmies' while approaching the lights.

Latest posts

Back