Interest in Gen 1 - need advice on what to look for or ask

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propwash

Reaction score
Hi - First time on this forum, and if things work in my favor, will be the first of many!

After having first set sights on the Max more than 20 years ago, I was in love with the Max (is that gay?) - and now I'm finally in a position to buy one.

I live in S Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and Craigslist / Cycletrader don't yield too many options. I'm considering anything between a 1999-2007, and hopefully low miles.

• I am NOT a mechanic or mechanically inclined. So unless there's something obviously wrong with the bike (such as a missing headlight) any mechanical faults with go right by me.
  • Is there something I should look out for which I can easily spot (without having to disassemble the whole bike) ?
  • i found a site (well there's a few) that run VIN checks - are these reliable?
    http://www.cyclevin.com/motorcycle-vin-report/

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I loaded too many questions for a 1st post (I'm there's a ton more stupid questions I can come up with)

You need to be aware of a 2nd gear issue. The only way that you will find it out, is basically at full throttle in 2nd gear. If they bike pops out of gear, or into neutral, stay away from it. It means that 2nd gear is worn, and the cost to repair is 1500 ish, and thats if your doing a majority of the work.

That being said, anything wrong with a Vmax, this site can help you fix.

The Vmax is a great motorcycle.

There were more issues when the Vmax first came out.....but ANY year Vmax can have a 2nd gear issue. Ive been told that not clutching your shifts can contribute.

Appreciate the advice.

From what I'm reading (here and other places), the max requires certain TLC from its riders during operations. Ex: thoroughly warm up prior to riding...and I'm sure I read other riding tips that help extend engine life (or rather, avoid shortening engine life, lol)

Is that correct? If that's the case, it really makes buying a used one a pandora's box, as god knows how the previous owner (s) handled the bike throughout its life. :ummm:

Appreciate the advice.

From what I'm reading (here and other places), the max requires certain TLC from its riders during operations. Ex: thoroughly warm up prior to riding...and I'm sure I read other riding tips that help extend engine life (or rather, avoid shortening engine life, lol)

Is that correct? If that's the case, it really makes buying a used one a pandora's box, as god knows how the previous owner (s) handled the bike throughout its life. :ummm:

Look under the rear fender--:bang head:

Appreciate the advice.

Thats true.......BUT, the Vmax really is a strong engine, and strong bike, aside from its quirks.

Like the fact that the Vmax likes dino oil, and NOT synthetics. The clutch REALLY doesnt like synthetics, and likes diesel oil actually.

The good thing about this forum, there is enough knowledge here on the stickies...that ANYTHING can be fixed.

There are ways to check most of the problems out before you buy as well. The two that are the biggest pain are the popped oil o-ring and 2nd gear. Procedures for checking those are on here. Many of us have had one or both (raises hand). When you find one, post pics and info. You'll get good advice here.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Hey Propwash,

The best advice that I can give you is to buy a one way plane ticket to Greensboro, NC.

I will pick you up at the airport and we will travel the 20 miles to where your Vmax is waiting for you.

It is a 2006, non-issue, 17.2K mile example of what it is you are looking for. I have it listed in the classifieds for sale. I do not want to sell it but I also want my debt liability from sending my daughter through college to be less than if I had kept the bike.

You can hang around for a couple of days (I have a place in the country I call my cabin where my motorcycle riding friends stay when they come for a visit) and test ride the bike (after you stick the sack full of money in my hand and I stick the title in yours). After a couple of days, and provided you don't muck up my bike (I will be following you on my other bike, so I will know how you treat it), you can give it a thumbs up or down and either ride the bike home or we will swap back a sack for a piece of paper.

I can't attest for any other Vmax in the world but I can attest for this one in my possession.

John

PS - I hope it is not illegal to make a plug like this in a section other than the classifieds.

Appreciate the advice.

(Nearly) everything you need to know here.

I don't think that the Max needs any more t.l.c. than any other bike and allowing an engine to get some heat into it before giving it some welly is a good habit to adopt.
The motor is pretty well bulletproof assuming it is regularly serviced, has oil and water and the rev limit is respected.

You will have read about the Orange 'O' ring which is the source of much paranoia to most new owners (but you do get over it) to which I suspect you are alluding to.
In the fifteen or so years I have been looking and contributing to VMax related sites it regularly comes up.
However there is very little evidence that I have read that it actually causes any issues.

Whilst low mileage bike seem like a good idea it would mean that they would have spent most of their life sitting idle which can cause (arguably more) issues than one with a higher mileage.

Again, it is almost unheard of to read of a Max needing a re-bore due to the mileage.

If, as you say, your technical skill are limited then it would be prudent to take someone along who knows bikes. Whilst they may not be familiar with the Max they should be able to go over all of the cycle parts and help you check all of the systems.
Make sure the bike is started with a cold engine and listen to it as it warms up.

Any further questions, please ask.

Cyceljohn, you're good. I don;t think anyone trying to help a potential new Max owner is going to be mad at you plugging your bike.

Propwash, this site is INVALUABLE! You can read through my posts about the bike I bought and the gremlins it had, People on here jumped at the chance to help me and you WILL NOT find a better bunch of people than what we have here. I know every forum says that but I'm telling you from experience that it's true. These guys rock!

Now, here's what I'd look for. Signs that the bike has been laid down (I missed those on mine, it was minor though). VMaxes are cold natured so if the buyer hasn't warmed it up for you it may take a little before she's ready to ride, otherwise you may get a little popping while riding before she warms up (exhaust popping that is). The stock Regulator/Rectifiers suck on these bikes so you may want to make sure the charging system works well. Take it for a ride and get it hot, come back and turn it off and then try starting it again. Check to see if it starts with the same power as when cold.

I had to replace the R/R on my 99 as well as the battery due to the original R/R sucking and causing the battery to have a bad cell. Also, check the reservoirs to see how the fluid levels are, mine had a bad clutch slave cylinder that I had to rebuild, missed that the reservoir was low when I bought it. Hmmm.....what else would I look for if I were to buy another one?........Tire dry rot. A tire can have plenty of tread but be dangerous due to dry rot. Also, pop the faux tank off and look at the coolant reservoir, if it's empty, the guy probably hasn't been keeping the cooling system flushed and maintained. Mine was almost empty and the contents that it did have was dirty.

I missed a bunch of stuff due to having "vmax goggles" on, I wanted one SO bad and the guy's story compelled me to buy it even though my gut said to walk away. The damn back rotor on mine was even jacked up! I kick myself for buying that bike, I have learned a valuable lesson from it all. Don't be afraid to walk away, you don't owe anybody anything. If it doesn't meet your standards, leave it alone. With that said, you can buy a bike and use this place to fix it up. I couldn't have fixed mine without the help of these guys and primarily CaptainKyle! That dude saved my ass more than a few times, even gave me his ph# so I could bug the shit out of him, lol! He was always cool though. Helluva guy.

If I think of anything else I'll post it but I think with what the others said already you have enough info to go on. The 2nd gear thing and carbs are your biggest concerns. The loose steering is another issue so until you're sure your bike's steering head nut is tightened properly, don't go imitating Leo Dicaprio and raise both your hands up claiming to be king of the world because you just might faceplant :rofl_200:

If you ride a VMax sanely - and seeing the oil light is NOT riding it right, in my opinion, you should get many thousands of miles service out of a well maintained Max. Stay away from a bike showing second gear issues - it's a big job to fix. The o-ring either is OK or not. I never looked at mine in 32 years. Charging issues on the earlier years are a problem with some bikes, though. The modifications to fix the electrical issues are described here in detail. Not difficult, and not outrageously expensive. If you're charging around 14 volts at road speed, you're probably OK.
Lots of us have done the COPS mod, but again - if the bike runs right, it's probably fine.

There are no stupid questions! I had my Max almost 25 years before I discovered this forum. I had to teach myself a lot of the tricks of the VMax trade.. We are all good guys, and all of us are willing to answer any questions, or lend a hand to a fellow Maxxer.

The only dumb question is the unasked one.

Good luck finding the bike you want, pay a fair price for it, and stick around the Forum.

First time you hit the VBoost, make sure you have the bike aimed...

I missed a bunch of stuff due to having "vmax goggles" on,

That is one the things I probably need to be most privy of, lol. I'm excited because after so much time yearning, I'm ready to take the dive. So I'll try to leave the goggles at home if I can.

I'm already liking this forum - I enjoy forums built around a specific niche, or "type-club", because everyone seems to look out for each other (I have already made contact with a local member).

To answer an earlier question, I've taken a very brief hop on a friend's 2007, when he bought it years ago. The seat position is definitely not the best (for longer rides at least) but it's a concession I'm willing to make...chances are my rides won't be that long anyhow.

Cyclejohn - too funny :biglaugh:

Hey Propwash,

The best advice that I can give you is to buy a one way plane ticket to Greensboro, NC.

I will pick you up at the airport and we will travel the 20 miles to where your Vmax is waiting for you.

It is a 2006, non-issue, 17.2K mile example of what it is you are looking for. I have it listed in the classifieds for sale. I do not want to sell it but I also want my debt liability from sending my daughter through college to be less than if I had kept the bike.

You can hang around for a couple of days (I have a place in the country I call my cabin where my motorcycle riding friends stay when they come for a visit) and test ride the bike (after you stick the sack full of money in my hand and I stick the title in yours). After a couple of days, and provided you don't muck up my bike (I will be following you on my other bike, so I will know how you treat it), you can give it a thumbs up or down and either ride the bike home or we will swap back a sack for a piece of paper.

I can't attest for any other Vmax in the world but I can attest for this one in my possession.

John

PS - I hope it is not illegal to make a plug like this in a section other than the classifieds.

I will vouch for John & his bike ! I don't think you will find a nicer person he is strait up & true to his word.

Propwash, look at the under sides of the mufflers and footpegs, outside edges of the mirrors and handlebars for rash. Also look on either side of the battery for acid spill.....all indicators that the bike has been down.

Lots of options for sale on here (and I even have a few for sale). year and mileage doesn't bother me.

Look at the new VMax owner! I checked-out for 'propwash' a 1999 w/20 K mi. on it, very clean. Please don't tell Bill Seward, I saw the red oil light flicker! No 2nd gear issues, it rode well.

The bike was in inventory at a friend's shop.

And just for fun, here's a shot of a true 1970's build chopper, a 1942 WLA flathead w/a springer, no front brake, but a beefy rear disc; a sprung tractor seat with a pillon that should be good for up to 30 minutes if your weight is lower than your IQ.

The frame is supposed to be the original, according to the owner, who is 75 years old! Dig that coffin tank, and those apehangers are about even with your clavicles, or a bit higher. I think those are Hallcrafters Invader wheels, very trick for the day, back in the '70's.

Attachments

• VMax Richard.2.jpg
    VMax Richard.2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 19
  • WLA.jpg
    WLA.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 21
Check it over with someone who is really knowledgeable on Vmax's . Check for fuel leaks and the ease of starting when warmed up, that could be several different things including a 2 pole starter.
Check for gas leaks, Dangerous. check for a wobble in the front, moderate speed on a bumpy road let go with one hand and decelerate, it may be adjustable. check for surges or misfires at a steady speed to see if carbs have been synced lately and other components are good. Definitely accelerate hard in 2nd gear to see if it comes out of gear. Listen for any weird noises coming from the drive train. Make a hard stop to check braking capability. Check straight line driving to see if maybe the frame is bent.

I could go on forever but the idea is a good Vmax is a good bike and a bad one can be a horrible mess to straighten out...

Lol! If you MUST see the oil light, at least have the damn thing aimed..
I do have to admit there are lots of guys here that like to explore the upper limits of Vmax performance, and very fre of us experience road rash .. That says a lot for the riding skills of the members.

Hi Dave, he already bought the bike, but all your tips are worthwhile. Another prospective rider who reads them will be well-guided.

Bill, yes, aim the durn thing properly before pulling the trigger!

Back