Denver area VMax mechanic?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladthedog

Reaction score
So, I'm at my wits end and am actually contemplating taking my bike in to get fixed (or at least troubleshooted). I've never used a mechanic to service either of my bikes before, so don't know anyone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic who is knowledgeable on 1st gen vmax? I'm even open to paying someone on here that just has the skills I seem to be lacking on getting it back up and running. Worst case I was thinking of taking it over to Motorcycle Depot (near the air force base), since they seem to have high praise (plus I've bought tires and what-not from them and have liked their service).

Thanks for any input.

did you properly rebuild the carbs? that's where I had to start,, got it running. more work to be done, but she runs and idles. carb work is easy by the 4th time you do it..

did you properly rebuild the carbs? that's where I had to start,, got it running. more work to be done, but she runs and idles. carb work is easy by the 4th time you do it..

Done it 3 times now just for current issues (well, first two times just did a cleaning with them together, but latest time I completely took them all apart, etc)! This weekend was kind of my last ditch effort. Completely redid carbs and got new rubber thingies for both the vboost and carbs (my old ones were starting to show cracks).

correct float levels? getting spark to all cylinders? fuel pump workin?

correct float levels? getting spark to all cylinders? fuel pump workin?

slightly adjusted float levels last night (but they were pretty much dead on already). Checked spark on all cylinders. Fuel pump seems to be working (gonna do some more testing tonight; However, my problems initially would run sometimes for quite a while before cutting out. now it's not even doing that). It's a brand new fuel pump and fuel filter though (I replaced it when i started having issues "just in case" and to try to rule it out; up until just recently the "new" pump behaved same as the "old" i.e. the bike would run fine until it just up and died 30-60 minutes in to a ride).

slightly adjusted float levels last night (but they were pretty much dead on already). Checked spark on all cylinders. Fuel pump seems to be working (gonna do some more testing tonight; However, my problems initially would run sometimes for quite a while before cutting out. now it's not even doing that). It's a brand new fuel pump and fuel filter though (I replaced it when i started having issues "just in case" and to try to rule it out; up until just recently the "new" pump behaved same as the "old" i.e. the bike would run fine until it just up and died 30-60 minutes in to a ride).

Check any electric components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check any electric components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heh, ya. stator seems to test fine. I replaced the R/R since my charge was low, and now I'm right where I need to be. I also have the new R/R wired directly to the batter to remove the crimp situation, etc. It has spark up until the moment it dies on me. I was thinking of possibly being the pickup coil, since it sounded similar to other people having an issue there, but from my understanding that would prevent spark (and since I have spark, that doesn't make sense). Tested the coil while "cool" and it was right where it needed to be.

BTW I tested the fuel pump yesterday, and while not sure if there is a better way, just ran the fuel line to a glass measuring cup. When it clicks upon turning the key, fuel pumps out (what I would consider quite a bit). On the few clicks it makes at the beginning, it was about 1/3 of a cup.

Situation has only gotten worse as I've worked on it. Originally it would cut out on me randomly when it was hot. Now it only idles for a minute or two before it slows down and dies. If I give it just a little gas it seems to run longer, but if it's any more than about 1/8 of a turn on the throttle, it cuts out as well. This is with the choke on (although I've tried turning it off and just giving it a little gas, and it does the same thing).

The weird thing I noticed last night was I decided to hook up my carb tuner (I eyeballed it on the bench, but figured I'd see). Vacuum seems really low even when running and of course almost non-existent right before it dies. I don't know where else I would have a vacuum leak. New rubber boots on the whole thing (carb/vboost). Everything seems seated correctly. Going to try the propane test tonight (but even when I have it running, it idles sporadically so going to be hard to tell).

Latest posts

Back