Front end comparison

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nzsoundguy

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some feedback from those who have USD forks.
I'd like to know IF there is much improvement from OEM forks with racetech emulators vrs upside down jobbies.
I've been loooking at m50 Suzuki forks, but my suspension guy says they have a basic fixed cartridge, reckons sorted stock ones would be possibly better.
:ummm:

Both of mine are modified and lowered 1" Stock Forks. 1 of each diameter. They handle very well and I've never thought of going to something else from another bike..

I liked how smoothly the inverted operated and there is less sprung weight at the wheel but overall the stock can be made to work well (especially with new springs and one of our brake upgrade kits). I do have a few inverted options should you want to consider going that route.

Had stock forks with superbrace, Racetech emulaters, and springs. Swapped to stock 03 R1 forks and they feel a tad better. Still need to get them resprung then I'm sure they'll be much better. Can't go wrong either way.

The 'bling' of USD forks is undeniable, but I think late model forks (1993+), especially if you have 1985-1992 forks can be made to work much better than stock with aftermarket springs, wave washer stacks (cartridge emulators, RICOR's, and now I think yss makes one too) and a pair of HH brake pads in each caliper.

I think going to a 17" or 18" rear wheel, and radials f & r will give you a bigger handling 'bang for the buck' than an USD fork. Do the stock fork mods and a larger, wider rear wheel mod for an all-around cost-effective handling mod, and a good pair of rear shocks when you can afford them.

Hi Sean, my local suspension guy didn't rate the vx800(m50) forks, and I'm keen not to lower my bike, most modern USD forks are much shorter, the cost of tricky triple clamps is the money I have for your swingarm setup as previously discussed.
What other fork options do you have? That keep the ride height about the same.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, the bling factor is cool with USD, but I am looking for value of performance, and putting the tin in the best places. Thanks again.

There is a reason sportbikes use a USD set up.

Yup. The same reason they didn't use it on the gen2. Stiffness was more than needed for the rest of the frame geometry. I totally want a usd setup, but it's too much $$ now.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

When I see a Gen 1 with an USD it always inspires me to do it. It looks slick. Then I settle down and realize my forks are very serviceable and rigid enough. I spent the time & money on new bushings, progressive springs, emulators and custom fork braces. Plus brake calipers and rotors.

Yeah, there are much-better ways to spend that kind of $$$. If you're a machinist and want to mill a set of 'gullwing' triple trees, it might be worth it, but for the average guy, to have a properly-set-up USD front end, I bet it's close to $3,000. Exactrep triples & handlebar riser $1100 http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/suspension.html
Then the brakes, (calipers, rotors, lines) and a wheel/axle: $500; re-valving the forks and the forks themselves, w/springs, min. $500 probably more), and installing it. Then the little stuff, like a fender, and a speedo work-around.

Undeniably pretty, and properly set-up, a cool system, but I think that $$$ is better spent for that used Gen II.

Why not to extend some used forks?going for fzr1000 ones,read somewhere they are bolt on and will make some extensions.keeping the 17" wheel too...

My last max had racetech front end, but was early version 1989, and the r1 brakes didn't impress, So this time round I want it sorted. I've heard the new racetech has a stack added and is better, but I'm just lookin for the best solution....cough....at an affordable amount, thx for continued input, it's all being mulled about

I've got a few triple options. The old FZR are close to a bolt on if you don't mind fabbing up your own headlight stuff as well as having clip-on bars.

All of the above...

Undiniable a usd looks a lot better. But it costs a lot more to.
What is already said, for less money u can get it to handle a lot better ... That said.... Usd for me

Attachments

• IMG_20170810_165052.jpg
    IMG_20170810_165052.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 18
All of the above...

What is already said, for less money u can get it to handle a lot better ... That said.... Usd for me. U can get an usd modified. Mine was from a susuki. It was lengthend for about 10 or 15 cm. A complete aluminium bushing around it to make a fat legg usd fork.

All of the above...

What is already said, for less money u can get it to handle a lot better ... That said.... Usd for me. U can get an usd modified. Mine was from a susuki. It was lengthend for about 10 or 15 cm. A complete aluminium bushing around it to make a fat legg usd fork.

Pics always welcome. My bike handles beyond my riding ability. I haven't braced the swing-arm, but I'm used to the feel. That might get addressed this off season.

Latest posts

Back